Quantcast

2uesday gfmt

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
On this evening's ride a father with his two kids fell in front of me and broke his finger. I helped him and his sons with their bikes to get out of the woods. His wife picked them up.

As I suspected, Maxxis Minions are kind of slow on "flow"/easy trails. But they do corner better than Ardents. Although I kind of like the DC capabilities (Drift Control).

And nao kick-ass Thai.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
On this evening's ride a father with his two kids fell in front of me and broke his finger. I helped him and his sons with their bikes to get out of the woods. His wife picked them up.

As I suspected, Maxxis Minions are kind of slow on "flow"/easy trails. But they do corner better than Ardents. Although I kind of like the DC capabilities (Drift Control).

And nao kick-ass Thai.
No need for a second wheel set. You'll get used to the slugginess of them. Just do what I do and "run what you brung". For a few years I was silly enough to run the DH version of the Ardent. It also makes for a decent excuse when you're one of the slow dudes going up a climb during a group ride. :D

Also, good note on the Thai food. Haven't had that in a while and will do this week!

I went for a quick 40 minute ride through a local forest tonight; got home at 7pm and hit the trails at 7:30 so I had to beat the falling sun. I pretty much sprinted the entire time...

Also found that Santa dropped off some toys........FINALLY.

Might use some banked lieu time to get this on asap. And then timing belt change is scheduled for May 28th.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
It's only Tuesday?? Bail the fuck out!!

Stupid never ending Warriors game prevented me from doing any significant bike work last night. Got a pretty bad creak somewhere in my BB, crank set, pedal area.
I had a similar issue, turned out that the main pivot bearing on the drive side behind the chainrings was a hair loose and needed to be replaced from the damage that the play caused, Check the torque on all the pivots

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
White Ranch from home - Belcher, Mustang, Maverick, Shorthorn; 20 miles, 3200ft of climbing.

Dodged the thunderstorms and had a great ride with my wife.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
No need for a second wheel set. You'll get used to the slugginess of them. Just do what I do and "run what you brung". For a few years I was silly enough to run the DH version of the Ardent. It also makes for a decent excuse when you're one of the slow dudes going up a climb during a group ride. :D
I put them on because DirtyGirl and I were going to head to the hills tomorrow, but rain...

I'll probably take them off, but not until I at least try her personal trails which are on another level of technically difficult. Double black diamond is not an accurate rating. I call it GFY rated (Go Fuck Yourself). Ridiculously off camber, as in zero bench cuts, steep, tight and enough roots to make a Dirt Roadie go sit in a corner and cry.

The Minions are fun and add DH like stability and it feels like I have a little more travel as they erase chatter bumps. But they're just overkill for the easy trails. Also sliding through turns at silly fast speeds with the Ardents adds a level of excitement to rides that desperately need it.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I had a similar issue, turned out that the main pivot bearing on the drive side behind the chainrings was a hair loose and needed to be replaced from the damage that the play caused, Check the torque on all the pivots
It's definitely a BB/Crank Set issue. Only happens when pedaling hard (both sitting and standing). Won't have time to check it till later in the week though. Taking the DJ bike to the Pleasanton BMX track tonight to get my ass kicked by the burly jumps they have been building out there.

Will report back with results.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
It's definitely a BB/Crank Set issue. Only happens when pedaling hard (both sitting and standing). Won't have time to check it till later in the week though. Taking the DJ bike to the Pleasanton BMX track tonight to get my ass kicked by the burly jumps they have been building out there.

Will report back with results.
Thats when I had my noise.

What time at the jumps? I will be finishing my last drop off near there at 4:50

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Thats when I had my noise.

What time at the jumps? I will be finishing my last drop off near there at 4:50
6:30 depending on when I can escape work. They have a crew that has been digging and maintaining the park again. For a while it was totally trashed. Disclaimer: they have mostly been working on the big hairy stuff.

And fuck mystery noises. Last time I had one it confused the shit out of me because it was only happening under seated pedaling. After hours of cursing I noticed my saddle was loose.

PS I rode at Lime Ridge Open Space last weekend for the first time since high school and there are tons of trails to explore out there and some pretty fun riding.