Quantcast

3'' vs 3.5'' shock stroke

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I've heard that girth is moar important than length. A fatter shock that is a really tight fit in the frame will yield greater riding pleasure.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've heard that girth is moar important than length. A fatter shock that is a really tight fit in the frame will yield greater riding pleasure.
I've heard that for most popular riding position a strait shock is not the best option. They suggested I try one that is curved up. Too bad mine is more tap shaped so it forces me to ride with a more rearward weight bias.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I've heard that for most popular riding position a strait shock is not the best option. They suggested I try one that is curved up. Too bad mine is more tap shaped so it forces me to ride with a more rearward weight bias.
Tap shaped shocks give an S shaped axle path dont they?

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
uh, how so??

edit: that would mean my Foes DHS i just sold would be super progressive with its 4.5" stroke shock, yet its not
All 3.5" stoke bikes I've personally ridden (Devinci Wilson, Morewood Makulu, Intense m6) are on the progressive side of suspension curves. I'm going off of the popular 3.5" stroke bikes that are out there, not from an engineering standpoint.

In terms of mechanics, a longer stroke will always have a lower leverage ratio compared to a shorter stroke yielding the same amount of travel. Similarly a 2:1 ratio on a 3.5" will need less damping than a 3:1 on a 3".

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
All 3.5" stoke bikes I've personally ridden (Devinci Wilson, Morewood Makulu, Intense m6) are on the progressive side of suspension curves. I'm going off of the popular 3.5" stroke bikes that are out there, not from an engineering standpoint.
its the bikes that are making it progressive, not the stroke of the shock.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
What OD is the best? A lot of shock holes have such a problem with the tight fit of a coke can that they just say no.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
A 3.5" stroke shock will need a lighter weight spring... And if you are a light rider you may have big problems trying to find soft springs... Like 150-175 etc

I have a makulu I use a 200 pound spring and I weight 200 lbs

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
he might not be trolling or stupid, and might have just needed some shaft stroke length jokes.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
A 3.5" stroke shock will need a lighter weight spring... And if you are a light rider you may have big problems trying to find soft springs... Like 150-175 etc

I have a makulu I use a 200 pound spring and I weight 200 lbs
Depending on what bike design a 3,5'' stroke shock is mounted with what leverage ratio,dh bikes with a low leverage ratio with a long 10,5'' shock & less travel like the Ghost,Morewood run suspension with a low spring rate.I have a session with a 3,5'' stroke with a 250lbs Ti spring rate but for me beeing light it's hard to find lower rates below 250lbs.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Below 250 is still doable just more expensive (but it's hard to find deals on that size springs anyway). Try that with a makulu and you may be in more trouble.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Below 250 is still doable just more expensive (but it's hard to find deals on that size springs anyway). Try that with a makulu and you may be in more trouble.
BOS makes steel springs in 187.5, 200, 225, 250.. and up to 375 lbs.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
All 3.5" stoke bikes I've personally ridden ( Intense m6) are on the progressive side of suspension curves.
I was looking for info on this... Couldn't find much. tons of stuff on the M9 though.
So IS an M6 progressive? I've got one and I cant tell if it is shock setup or linkage. I'm a total hack with Susp setup.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Depending on what bike design a 3,5'' stroke shock is mounted with what leverage ratio,dh bikes with a low leverage ratio with a long 10,5'' shock & less travel like the Ghost,Morewood run suspension with a low spring rate.

UG.. Brain hurt trying to read... I know English isn't your first language so I'm not bashing here. I cant speak Norweigan so who am I to judge.

What I believe you are trying to say:
Depending on Suspension design, bikes with a low leverage ratio, long 10,5'' shock & less travel (like the Ghost,Morewood) run suspension with a low spring rate.

Last edited:

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
What I believe you are trying to say:
Depending on Suspension design, bikes with a low leverage ratio, long 10,5'' shock & less travel (like the Ghost,Morewood) run suspension with a low spring rate.
Exactly. A general rule is the lower the total ratio the lower the spring rate needed.

So an 8" bike with a 3.5" stroke shock (2.28 average) will use a spring rated lower than a 10" bike with a 3.5" shock (2.85 average), of course still depending on rider & gear weight.

What Carnaza was saying above and what UDI has said in the past is that for light weight riders it can be difficult to get springs RATED light enough for them if the ratio is too low (2.5 and below it would start becoming harder). For normal people this shouldn't be difficult :)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah Owennn / Carnaza are absolutely correct.

It's difficult to find these lower rates in 25lb increments that a lot of people will need with these low-leverage bikes. Sure BOS makes them, but what if you want a Ti? Gets tricky.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
well i know you can order up a custom steel spring in spring shops that make them for cars and other stuff around here, you only need measures and the spring rate (i for example would need a 150lbs/in for a makulu, maybe even 125).

i believe you could get a custom made steel spring almost anywhere in the world relatively easily. i wouldn't know about the ti springs though. one thing that bothers me is that you can find a 400x3.5 ti spring that's good for over 120kg on a makulu yet i found nothing under 200 for lighter riders.