Quantcast

3 years to build, 1 day to tear down.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Our local flowpark got bulldozed to make room for a jail last week.

R.I.P. SST

This u-tube vid was Just weeks before the end.

Last edited:

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
RIP

It's sad but it had been a little over a year since I went down there. It is the place where I learned how to ride.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
That's terrible news...I got to ride out there on trip to Whis years ago and was always hoping to make it back. My condolences to all the builders and riders.

Staplerzzzz

Chimp
May 21, 2007
Earth
Hearing these stories always ticks me off, there's nothing worse than seeing hard work gone to waste for something as lame as a prison.

When I lived out in SoCal in 95 (when I started bmxing), the local trails that I used to ride at would always get sabotaged by some cranky hag that was pissed off because they would park on town property in near their house. They even made a lip out of quickcrete which the they took a sledge hammer too. This would happen on a weekly basis, but everybody kept riding their, the trails still exist as far as I know but not like they used too.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
"When I lived out in SoCal in 95 (when I started bmxing), the local trails that I used to ride at would always get sabotaged by some cranky hag that was pissed off because they would park on town property in near their house. They even made a lip out of quickcrete which the they took a sledge hammer too. This would happen on a weekly basis, but everybody kept riding their, the trails still exist as far as I know but not like they used too".
this is still happening in socal :disgust1: .

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
RIP
It is the place where I learned how to ride.
I have pictures from about 10-12 years ago before the flow park. I was on a super old carbon trek Y bike with all the padding I could find trying to jump anything I could. After a few years of being a dumb ass (well more of one then I am now so thats scary) I showed up with a cheap hardtail and got hooked. I didn't know what I was doing but got to meet so many cool people over the years there. I remember the day a lot of those jumps were made and named, some I was able to hit, some I always wanted to but never reached it.

If something positive can be said, the build of SST lead to people building bigger and better legit trails and the time will come. I see this faze in NW riding the same as the days before there was a skatepark in every city and you had to drive I mean make mom drive you and your friends an hour to some crappy skate park because thats all there was. I hope to see a change in parks soon. On a side note King County has decided to give away $54mil worth of park land that they can no longer take care of. They will give it for free to any organiztion, non profit or neighborhood group that will maintain it as a park. So maybe a "you build it you ride it" park may be around the corner. I am sure rules will be there but the Nade is pretty sweet and legal, maybe there is some land that can have dirt jumps, freeride, some elevation change and open more eyes.

RIP SST, :headbang:
I hate everyone involved in this decision as I have said earlier.

Sshields32

Monkey
Mar 7, 2008
Warwick, NY
Thats a f*cking shame.

Maybe if there were more awesomely nice people in the world, we wouldnt have jails, and places like this wouldnt get torn down to build places to shelter criminals.