Quantcast

$3...

J

JRB

If you found $3 on the floor, would you keep it or take it to the service desk??? This is assuming you find it in a public place. At what dollar value do you keep it or turn it in???

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
loco said:
If you found $3 on the floor, would you keep it or take it to the service desk??? This is assuming you find it in a public place. At what dollar value do you keep it or turn it in???
I'd keep a $20...or the total of up to $20 in any combination of bills. However!!... If it was over $20, I'd turn it in.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
At what point do I turn it in?

If I see a homeless retarded child drop it, then maybe. And only if it's less than $0.75, and he has to do a little dance for me.

J

JRB

Secret Squirrel said:
I'd keep a $20...or the total of up to $20 in any combination of bills. However!!... If it was over $20, I'd turn it in.
So - if it were 3 $1 bills, no big deal???

Will it help you??? I'm not baggin', just wondering what justification people use.

J

JRB

H8R said:
At what point do I turn it in?

If I see a homeless retarded child drop it, then maybe. And only if it's less than $0.75, and he has to do a little dance for me.
So if it were $3, you'd keep it???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'd keep it.

I guess I'd consider how likely it was that someone would really even go to the service desk looking for it. I wouldn't expect someone to even turn in three bucks, thus, I wouldn't go looking for it except to maybe walk by where I thought I dropped it.

I can't draw a line in the sand though, at what point I'd turn it in. Depends on where it's found, how many people are around, what kind of store, etc. If I found a crumpled $20 in the back section of a Wal-Mart, I'd keep it. If I found a $20 in the checkout line of a grocery store, I'd ask if someone dropped something.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dude I knew in college literally found a bag of money in a parking lot with thousands of dollars in it. Seems an armoured car driver dropped a bag of cash when loading up an ATM. He returned the money. The bag did have the banks name on it. At that point in time I don't think I would have returned it. Probably would have today, not really out of the kindness of my heart but out of paranoia.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
If I found a crumpled $20 in the back section of a Wal-Mart, I'd keep it.
WTF are you doing in the back section of Wal Mart scanning the floor for anyways?

edit: and who the hell in Wal Mart has $20 to drop??

J

JRB

Westy said:
<snip> Probably would have today, not really out of the kindness of my heart but out of paranoia.
I don't know if it was kindness, paranoia, or compassion, but I turned in $3. It was right before closing, and I am sure the owner never saw it. The lady looked confused, but I thought, how could I really benefit from $3. It's not like it was a find. It's not like it would help, but it might the person that lost it. I doubt it, but who knows.

If it were $10,000 in an unmarked bank bag, I would likely keep it. People should be more careful than that, but I am sure paranoia would lead me to the police.

J

JRB

MancilG said:
I would keep any dollar amount that I found in a public place. if someone is dumb enough to drop it I'm smart enough to keep it
uhm - nevermind...I answered my own question.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Back in when I was in Jr. High my parents took me to a national event BMX race that was being held in an arena/civic center in Shreveport, LA. to see if BMX was for me. I went to the bathroom and found a wallet with about $300 in it. I went ahead and turned it in. Kinda had the feeling that the owner of the wallet never saw his money again though.

$3.00 more than likely, I'd keep it.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I'd keep anything under $20. Anything over, I'd go to the service desk and leave a note with my phone number. If someone called and identified the sum within a week, I'd gladly return it. If not, my student loans would get a little bit smaller.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A friend of mine, who works in a bar as well as being a touring musician, constantly scans the ground for money. I noticed him doing it, and he found $5 bucks while I was talking to him.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
sam_little said:
I'd keep anything under $20. Anything over, I'd go to the service desk and leave a note with my phone number. If someone called and identified the sum within a week, I'd gladly return it. If not, my student loans would get a little bit smaller.

Hmm...

I have a better variation...

I find the money, and leave a note at the service desk that says, "I have your money asshole! Want it back? Then go to (insert my ex-wife's address here) if you have the BALLS..."

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
If I found $3 on the ground I'd 'carefully' pick it up and inspect it.
If the money appears to be problem free I'd puchase a Redbull with $2 and use the last bill for an entertaining game of "poo dollar":rofl:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I would cash it out for 12 quarters and buy a tube of super glue. Id take the quarters to the nearest elementary school and superglue them to the paint of a crosswalk in the middle of an intersection.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
There is no amount of money I would return if it was just money and I was confident nobody saw me pick it up, basically because there's no guarantee that the person you turn it in to is going to do the "right" thing.

However if I found someone's wallet with a bunch of money and identification, I would give that person back their money with the wallet.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Last weekend, I was in Lowe's, found a bag of marijuana and turned it in. Four more weeks unclaimed and it's mine.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
At what point does finding large sums of money become stealing? Seriously, where? Is it illegal to keep $5,000 of bills in a bag, found in a parking lot? Or is that stealing? What's the difference? Or is this a personal question?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
LordOpie said:
Last weekend, I was in Lowe's, found a bag of marijuana and turned it in. Four more weeks unclaimed and it's mine.
Well, with drugs and alcohol, you're technically doing who ever lost the stuff a favor by keeping it, as he will no longer be destroying his body with it. In the long run, he's better off without it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
bikenweed said:
At what point does finding large sums of money become stealing?
When/if they catch you. Until then it's a "groundscore".

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
Dude I knew in college literally found a bag of money in a parking lot with thousands of dollars in it. Seems an armoured car driver dropped a bag of cash when loading up an ATM. He returned the money. The bag did have the banks name on it. At that point in time I don't think I would have returned it. Probably would have today, not really out of the kindness of my heart but out of paranoia.
In high school I worked in a grocery store. I worked in the courtesy booth. One of my jobs was to verify the cash that we got from the bank. Yes we had to count everything including the $1.
1 dollar bundles come in straps of 100 and I’d have to count THOUSANDS.
1 time i started in and counted 1,2 bang there was a 100 dollar bill, then another then another all the way to the end and there were 2 singles capping the end. So instead of 100 -1's there was 4-1's and 96 Benjamin’s ($9,600.)
I turned it in and didn’t get some much as a thank you. The story ended up being that the wrap was really old and had been floating around for a while. The original person from the Fed that created it was fined, fired and dead.
I could have kept it and not a single person would have been out anything.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I keep stuff I find laying around 'cause I know if I don't the next guy will and if I lose cash I don't get butt hurt about it. If someone is stupid enough to drop their money why not keep it?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
bikenweed said:
At what point does finding large sums of money become stealing? Seriously, where? Is it illegal to keep $5,000 of bills in a bag, found in a parking lot? Or is that stealing? What's the difference? Or is this a personal question?
It's questionable.

What's not questionable is seeing someone drop some money, you know who it is as they walk away unaware, and you keep the money. That's clearly stealing.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
So you can take the 3 bucks and go get a Jumbo Jack hold the onions, that's one buck right there. Then you gotta buck and change left so you get to leavin then you realize you're thirsty so you go back in and get a water. They don't charge you for that SCORE! Then you leave and go to the store. Hmmm decisions decisions, they gotta pack of cards for 4 bucks bummer too much... Hmm gardening gloves... alas they are 4 bucks too! Oh wait a minute a three pack of pine scented car fresheners. Perfect! Woo hoo, walk out into the sun with a broad smile knowing you are well fed and your car will smell good. Then the guy who's 3 bucks walks up from behind you and kicks you in the nuts. Was it worth it?