Quantcast

30mm or 35mm inner rim width?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
These rims are for a Ragley Blue pig. I'm looking at Spanks. One is 30mm inner and the other is 35mm inner. I want to run 2.3 to 2.6, mainly for XC stuff. Supposedly this frame can handle up to a 2.8 which I can't say I'd use, but who knows. I might try it and like it. The build is mainly for where my Spartan is overkill. Picture imba trails. My only concern about the wide rims is that with a 2.3 tire, it's kinda taking away what little suspension I'd have.

Let's hear it.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I went from 22mm ID to 30mm ID rims on my 2.4 Ardent/2.2 Ardent Race for my hardtail and the tire profile looks nice and fatter. Disclaimer: I've got zero ride time on them.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Last wheels I had were 26 inner, new ones are 30.5mm inner. I don't see a need for any wider than the 30mm for xc/trail/enduro/whatever you call it.

-Brett

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
30 is perfect for 2.3-2.5. I went from 26ish and the change is noticeable. I can run lower pressures than I ever could, more grip with less tire squirm.

I have a set of 35's that I put 2.6 and 2.8's on, but don't have any time on them.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
> imba trails?
Seems like any rim width will do... pick whatever.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I'm running ZTR Flow EX wheels, 25.5 mm width, and I'm happy with them. If/when they barf, I'll think about other possibilities prior to replacement.
that's what I was using before switching to 30 mm dT 1501's. Now, I might mount some XC tires on the Stan's for a light build, but for aggressive use, no going back for me.

that's what I was using before switching to 30 mm dT 1501's. Now, I might mount some XC tires on the Stan's for a light build, but for aggressive use, no going back for me.
So if I were to toy with the idea of replacing my current rims with 30 mm DTs, how might I choose the type? I'm skinny, in the 155 pound range, not a weight weenie in regards the bike.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
So if I were to toy with the idea of replacing my current rims with 30 mm DTs, how might I choose the type? I'm skinny, in the 155 pound range, not a weight weenie in regards the bike.
I'm getting complete wheels, so I'm not sure what rims they have available separately.

For wheels, I like the XM 1501's. They use the 240 star ratchet, not maybe the quickest, but bulletproof. These are DT's top of the line aluminum rim. If you go down to the 1700 or 1900 series, the freehub ratchet is not as good.

I also have a set of I9 Enduro wheels that are nice....similar weight, nicer freehub. blingier looking

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I'll try the 30's I guess.
btw, you should be able to run lower pressure and have better suspension action from the tire, even a 2.3. I have 2.3 High Roller/Minion DHR combo on these wheels. The lower pressure helps a lot on sharp roots/rocks. Grip and suspension

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
What are you looking to achieve by going wider and what are you looking for in terms of tire support and lean by going wider? Are you heavy/light? Have a preference for lower pressures?

I have a new bike that came with i30 rims. Wish it had narrower rims. For me it squares off the tires too much and affects side knobs engagement in a manner I don't prefer. In my experience what works for me is higher pressure for support and a tire that's less squared.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Mavic nailed it with the 729 almost 2 decades
And some very popular maxxis tyres copy the pattern of early Michelin ones...
Bos has been making forks with large negative chamber for more than 15 years...

You see a trend?
Bloody French! ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And some very popular maxxis tyres copy the pattern of early Michelin ones...
Bos has been making forks with large negative chamber for more than 15 years...

You see a trend?
Bloody French! ;)
Comp 16 or 24s? I didn't think those were that close to the Minions, except that the softest tread compound used in both could allow the tires to be wiped out in a couple weekends at Northstar. Add siping to any tire and they are going to look similar, right? Comp 32 was even more different IMO, different profile, no siping, much bigger, etc.

On the other hand, they are both black, both round, both knobby, both siped.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It was pretty clear at the time the original Highroller came about that Maxxis had taken it's inspiration from the Comp 16 and the original DHR was blatantly inspired by the comp 24. Likewise the Maxxis Mobster seemed to be a rip off of the original Michelin wildgripper DH (Batwing tread). Those weren't actually all that great a tread design but were the only true soft compound downhill casing tyre available to buy at the time. Maxxis seemed to miss that detail in copying them.
The DHF was later and a far more original design.

#History

I still prefer a 2.2 Comp 16 to any variation of the original Highroller.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Tried a set of rims with 35mm inner width last year... After just a couple of months I went down to 30mm. 30mm works better with most tires I use (DHF, Shorty, Wild rockR2, SE4, SE5 in 2.3-2.5).

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@Gary the more I read here, the more I see a wise man in you! :D well except for the riding without helmet part :brows:
For example, I tried removing the pins closest to the crank arms on my flat pedals like you mentioned somewhere here before and found them way better this way: not much less grippy and allowing replacing the feet way more easily. Thanks for that one! :thumb:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have one wheelset 30i for the 29er x 2.4 to 2.5 setup. Another wheelset 35i for 27.5 x 2.8, my "mid fat" setup (on the same bike).

For what you say, i'd go 30.

There are Bros out there doing 2.5 tires on 35i rims. But if you're riding imba trails, you don't need that (plus theres the argument around the squareness of that combo),. and if you don't need that, then you certainly don't need 35i x 2.8. Unless you plan on snow biking. But eff that in the face. I would not do 35i x 2.3, but ymmv, again due to squareness.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
The problem with 35mm rims and 2.3-2.6 tires is the sidewall of the rims is more prone to damage. Rock strikes that would normally just impact the sidewall of the tire cause the tire to fold out of the way and strike the rim instead. Not as much of an issue with metal rims but if you’re running teh carbonz you might hear a few frightening sounds if you ride anything besides sidewalks... for a 35 mm rim I think 2.6+ (Don’t get me started on those...) are the only thing that will benefit and or give you any sort of rim protection. Just my .02¢ I’ve personally seen a few 35mm carbon rims destroyed by rock strikes because there wasn’t enough rubber to protect the side of the rim.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I've never paid attention to rim width tbh. Whatever the bike came with always seemed good, or whatever rims were strong enough for their application (xc/dh/road...). Now people claim that these widths will make every bike feel better, faster, lighter, handle better. My DH bike has DT Fr570 rims that are 27.5 mm inner, while my endubro has DT XM481 rims with that are 30mm inner. Both run 2.3 tires. I see no difference.

But air pressure alone can make a bigger difference than a 2.5-5mm difference imo.

I thought about trying 2.6" tires cause, why not. But for 2.3" I know that the 30mm's are wide enough for sure. Tbh, 2.4 or 2.5's seem to be what I'd like, but that market is limited. Besides, we all know that a kenda 2.35 is equivalent to a maxxis 2.7. I'll get the 30's and play with different tires.