Quantcast

31.8 Bars

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
I was wondering if the 31.8 bars are any stronger than the regular size bars. 31.8's came on my Jamis Eureka. I am going to build a urban/dirt jump bike over the winter and was wondering which bar diameter to go with.
All opinions appreciated
Thanks
REC

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
If the tube thickness is equal the larger ones will obviously be way stronger and stiffer. There is a fairly simple equation/rule about that which slips my mind. Basically it depends on the material used and the thickness of it.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I personally feel like 31.8 bars are much stiffer than standard bars which I suppose should mean they are stronger too(?). I have standard bars on my FR/trail bike and am putting OS bars on my urban bike. Had a buddy with some OS bars at one point and they felt super stiff (Holzfeller). I bought FSA 31.8 bars along with the FR230 OS stem for 12.99 each on pricepoint.

Jan 29, 2005
IMO oversized bars are not needed, there is no way you are going to snap, bend, or screw up standard diameter freeride bars or stems, and you get better vibration dampening with standard.

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
Thanks all, I guess I like the look of the OS bars(they remind me of the Pro Taper moto bars). I like the idea of vibration dampening as the ole wrists certianly appreciate that. I will have to see what actually ends up on my urban rig. I will post a pic when I am done with the build.
Thanks
REC

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
dropsdon'tlikem said:
IMO oversized bars are not needed, there is no way you are going to snap, bend, or screw up standard diameter freeride bars or stems, and you get better vibration dampening with standard.
hmmm, I've snapped regular bars. I've seen a lot of other standard diameter freeride bars snap as well.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I think that I'd agree with him about the vibration stuff though.
My hands always seem to get tired faster with the OS bars.

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
vibration dampening? don't you have a fork? I've seen tons of bent and broken 25.4 bars. The boys over at SIC are not even going to make 25.4 bars or stems. I think 31.8 bars are going to become the new "regular size" bars

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
-BB- said:
I think that I'd agree with him about the vibration stuff though.
My hands always seem to get tired faster with the OS bars.
I am the same way, I'm getting rid of my 31.8 bars and switching back to 25.4. The OS bars actually seem to flex more than my standard.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
dropsdon'tlikem said:
you're also 130 lbs... ;)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
VDfree said:
vibration dampening? don't you have a fork? I've seen tons of bent and broken 25.4 bars. The boys over at SIC are not even going to make 25.4 bars or stems. I think 31.8 bars are going to become the new "regular size" bars
The vibration that the bars will absorb will be much higher frequency stuff that forks probably never will.

I think there is certainly a market for stronger bars as well as 'regular' ones - I'm not that heavy and dare I say it, fairly smooth. I've bent bars before, but never snapped a set. I'll probably stick with 25.4s for now, as I also think the oversize ones look too big for my bike. Yeah, I'm vain about about my bike.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Rode some kid's STP tonight - (Damn it needed maintainence) but he had the 31s and frankly they felt weird. They DO feel signficantly different, stiffer for sure. Too stiff for my liking, although I'm sure its a 'you'll get used to it ' kinda deal...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dropsdon'tlikem said:

:think: not so sure about that man...

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I've personally seen a good number of regular diameter bars bend or snap, and I for one like the *stiff* feel of the larger diameter. I have them on my jib bike, xc race bike, road bike, and my SS xc bike. Never goin' back to 25.4.

And regarding the vibration issue, it really is only apparent on the road. When you're mountain biking there is soo much vibration and jarring that a smaller bar is not going to make a difference that is noticable in the least bit. If you're really worried about small vibrations, get Oury grips!

-Steve-

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Hungary [EU]
This is an extract from an interview with Easton's Jeff Schneider, c. Summer 04.

"Q: How do you find oversize helps?
A: Well, you are talking to a guy from a company who has never had a problem with bar failure. In 7 years at Easton I have seen 3 riser bars bent, one was by Anne Caroline Chausson in a crash, another was by Nico Vouilloz in a crash, and the most recent was Gareth Dyer at the Joyride festival in Whistler. Gareth was so excited he had actually bent a bar... but, it was a crash.

We have gone to oversize becasue the market is driving us to do it. You are taking a very stiff system already and you are trying to make it stiffer, you are putting all the load into the weakest part of the bar. When i went to our engineers and said, "Hey, what do you think about oversize bars?" they came back and said, "well, if you want it as strong as your current bar we can do it, but it will cost you about 80 grams more in weight to get it up to the strength of your current bar." So... we would like to see it go away. Hopefully the market will eventually learn from their mistakes... it's not that they are unsafe, it's just that you are taking a problem that doesn't exist and making it heavier to compensate for different design... It just doesn't make sense, but the market is asking us to do it. It is all about companies trying to set themselves apart from the norm.

"When we handed all of our new freeride stuff to guys like Wade Simmons and told them it was available in oversize and standard, none of them wanted oversized." They didn't have problems with the standard bar... why change?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
interesting. I've snapped a pair of regular Azonic bars. I'd like to think my bigger bars are stronger. I diffenately like the fact that they don't flex as much.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
scurban said:
interesting. I've snapped a pair of regular Azonic bars. I'd like to think my bigger bars are stronger. I diffenately like the fact that they don't flex as much.
Exactly, sometime's it's just the thought that counts. My 31.8 bars are also just piece of mind...