Quantcast

31.8 Stems / Bars?

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
So, now that I've got my FSA 1.5 stem dialed in, I had to buy a new 31.8 oversized bar to match the FSA stem. Luckily, the guys at FSA are super cool, so they were able to get them both out to me.

Well, now I'm looking around and finding other manufacturers who are making or who will make 31.8 bars. Is this something that came along with the 1.5 stuff too? I didn't have any issues with standard diameter bars, so 31.8 seems unnecessary.

The guys at FSA said that most 1.5 stems would likely be the new 31.8 diameter clamp. Why?

Is it just because they can do it, so they are forcing it on at the same time as 1.5? Conspiracy theorists chime in here...

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Either conspiracies, so start throwing rocks at government buildings, or they decided that whilst they oversize one part as a standard, they'll force a new standard of oversized parts on the consumer, because oversized parts allow things to be stiffer yet lighter at the same time.

or something... It sorta makes sense to me, but I can't explain it that well.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Titec had some cool stuff at Interbike. Dunno when it will be available though. It might be already? Cool stuff though.

I remember the old Index shifting conspiracy, then it was the 7 speed conspiracy...which i believe turned into the 8speed and 9 speed conspiracy. And lets not forget the full suspension and disc brake conspiracies. I think there all part of a bigger conspiracy called progress!!:D

Apr 17, 2002
Santa Cruz, CA
...the return of cross compatibility. 31.8mm bars have slowly been creeping across the road bike world as the Lighter & Stiffer Juggernaut crushes compatibility in it's quest to make your bike look weird.

And then those crazy kids pushing the limits of aluminum's breaking point thought extra metal in their handlebars might be a good thing to match the extra metal in their joints. They too chose 31.8mm diameter bars

Now that these two diametrically opposed cycling cults have come together in the middle, where most of us ride, we have a chance at complete cross compatibility between all kinds of cycling parts. I think this is sublime. Imagine, there will be only one model of Thomson stem to fit all bikes. You can put a DH stem on your road bike if you want. Building your frankenbike to race 'cross becomes a little easier. This is a good thing

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Kona makes a 31.8 bar that's lighter and stronger than than their standard bar, It is actually made by Funn and branded for Kona and also Power Tools (KHS) Retail is as low as $20. Tioga and Azonic also make 31.8 bars in the $50+ range. As a last resort you can also shim your standard bars to fit your new stem like the new Marzocchi moto clamp or the Tioga cube stem does.

Titec has plans to put out 31.8 bars and stems. There will be some "Knock Rated" aluminum models, as well as some sweet looking carbon bars and a carbon stem. I saw them at the Interbike show, and they look very nice. I will get some for my single speed as soon as they are available. In fact, I tried in vain to buy the show samples!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Azonic doesn't make 31.8 bars they make 28.6 bars. its their own standard and has been for the last couple of years. i have a bune of sets, and got my new 03 super t and the azonic ones don't fit. bummer....

C.C.

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Richmond, B.C.
I'm running a 31.8mm bar. It's a pain in the ass to find another bar to fit my .243 racing stem.

There are a couple of companies that I can think of that sell a 31.8mm bar. One is F.U.N.N. and the other is .243 racing.

I don't know if the trend of 31.8mm will catch on though. Hopefully it will, stiffer, stronger and lighter can't be a bad combination.

oldeskuel

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
seattle/tacoma
Originally posted by punkassean
Kona makes a 31.8 bar that's lighter and stronger than than their standard bar, It is actually made by Funn and branded for Kona and also Power Tools (KHS) Retail is as low as $20. Tioga and Azonic also make 31.8 bars in the $50+ range. As a last resort you can also shim your standard bars to fit your new stem like the new Marzocchi moto clamp or the Tioga cube stem does.
who sells the kona 31.8 bar online?

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by powderboy
Hmmm... all very interesting theories... I guess it's all just evolution of the bicycle... 31.8, OnePointFive, FullSuspension... where will we go next?
Next is oversized BB shells. Now that you have had to buy a 1.5 frame and fork, new stem and bar, you will have to buy another frame.

Planned obsolescence. ;)

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
I use the direct mounting stem on my Super T which utilizes the 31.8, but it has some shim thingys too for smaller so it is not really a 1.5 deal.

I run the 31.8 Kona and it is pretty burly.

Race Face has the new Diablo series in 31.8 and is supposedly the strongest baddest bar out there and pretty light considering.

Oh yeah, they also has the subtle flames etched in too.