Quantcast

32" bar pics

Sep 17, 2006
Just bought a set of pro taper evo dirtbike bars for my DH bike and made some bar shims out of 1/16" thick by 1" diameter copper tubing. It looks a little bit overkill on my bike but it sure rides nice and makes it feel quite a bit easier to throw around. It's probably a little heavy for the weight weenies but I hear a lot of people wishing they could find wider bars. If anyone else wants to try the same thing, I recommend going for the Charmichael bend, otherwise most of the other bends have about a 2" rise

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
if you rotated them back a bit they would probably feel a little better.
did you have to cut to even up the throttle side? how much room do you have to cut them down (looks like alot) if you wanted bars around 30"?

Sep 17, 2006
are they compatible with lock on grips or to install shifters?

ie is the diameter of the bars the same as standard mtb bars?
Not sure about the inner diameter of the bar, so lock on's are in question, but everything else mounts just as it should. However we used digital calipers to measure the bars and they are ~1.12 inches at the clamp and your traditional oversize MTB clamp I believe was somewhere around 1.28 (can't remember exactly).

At first I tried using a small cutout of garden hose which we glued to the inside of the clamps, and it fit pretty nicely when it compressed, but during my first ride I started to ride progressively harder and the bars completely spun around while I was bombing through a rock garden, giving me quite a scare (not to mention a bruise just east of the family jewls :shocked: ). Everything had worked fine for jumping though...

So to fix that problem we took a less redneck approach and bought a 1/16" thick by 1" diameter section of copper tubing, sanded the inner surface a little bit to roughen it up, and then glued that to the clamps. The bars fit very snug now and show no signs of rotating (I rode my bike into a wall a couple times at a reasonable speed just to be sure). Plus the copper looks quite a bit better than a piece of green garden hose covered in black sharpie:)

Sep 17, 2006
if you rotated them back a bit they would probably feel a little better.
did you have to cut to even up the throttle side? how much room do you have to cut them down (looks like alot) if you wanted bars around 30"?

The throttle side on dirtbike bars isn't any bigger than the other side. Only the grips are different, which in this case you can use quad grips (which are even because they use a thumb throttle)

I'd say you have around 2-3" at most on each side to cut them down if you wanted to. They painted a few lines at 1/4 inch intervals up to 1" on each side if you didn't want to measure your cut anywhere down to a 30" length.

And I have experimented a lot with bar positions, and though more forward bars might not be quite as comfortable, they seem to help a lot more for getting a flatter table, bunnyhopping higher, manualing easier, and emphasizing your weight transitions on the bike. I always used to like my bars right at the middle position or back 1, but as soon as I experimented for the first time with a forward position I could immediately tell the difference and got used to it pretty quickly. I could say pretty confidently that it makes it nearly twice as easy to to get a good solid table on your bike, at least from my experience.

Sep 17, 2006
I used to ride MX a lot so that style has trickled down into my DH riding. Lots of riding and cornering over the front wheel, lots of whips, and lots of throwing the bike around. I agree it's not very comfortable when you're just cruisin around, but I feel more in control when I'm hauling butt. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to work the best out of everything I've tried.

Sep 17, 2006
Well as far as I'm concerned, if they give my bike a more precision feel, I could care less how they look or what anyone else thinks of them, so thank you very much. There's a few pros out there that run 30-32" bars so I don't see what's the big deal. My bike weighs around 48 lbs, I don't make anywhere near enough money to make it any lighter, and if a wider bar makes it feel more flickable, then that's the option I'm going to take

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Damn. What's with all the haters.

6 weeks ago, everyone was asking who made the widest bars. This guy figures out how to get Rennie width bars without resorting to some scabbed on plugs in the end. Good on ya!

Sure there's a weight penalty, but it might be worth it.

Sep 17, 2006
Just messed with it a bit more and moved the bar back to the middle position. The upsweep was starting to bug me. It was somewhere between 1 and 2 forward earlier. Like I said, I jump a fair amount (check the Vista dh and hucking action thread in the Socal forum) and the forward position helps a bit, but the upsweep wasn't doing anything but making it uncomfortable. It's back where it was yesterday when I had it in the dirt.

The bars look wider in the picture than when you're actually riding it anyways.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah the upsweep looked bad but i've thought of doing the same to mine. The only problem is that the weight difference is HUGE...like 450gm compared to 270 for MTB bars...

Sep 17, 2006
I don't have any pics yet of the new position, and most of you I would guess probably prefer one more rotation back than the neutral position. The bend isn't bad, it just isn't suited that well to much forward rotation.

And I already have my hardtail for trail riding so the extra length isn't such a big deal. I still need to get out and ride it before I can say much about the bars. I'm still contemplating whether I want to leave them at 32 or drop them down a little, maybe 31 or 30.5. I'll have to ride it on just about all of the local terrain styles around here to get a good idea how I want them set up. I should be out at Ted Williams this weekend with CheetaProwlerDH to give them a thorough test.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Damn. What's with all the haters.

6 weeks ago, everyone was asking who made the widest bars. This guy figures out how to get Rennie width bars without resorting to some scabbed on plugs in the end. Good on ya!

Sure there's a weight penalty, but it might be worth it.
Honestly. Chill out guys. I applaud for ingenuity/garage shop work. Seems like that thread had tons of people saying they HAD to have a 28"+ DH bar and now that someone does it it's fugly and useless.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
So.....how come people who want to have really wide bars don't just get some trials bars? don't they come at like 29" or something crazy like that? Are they weaker or something, or does all the anodizing look too gay? ROFL just kidding....

ss805

Chimp
Apr 29, 2007
Lompton
Ha ha...too funny. This guy spent some time and money to get some wider bars, shares his idea with us...and gets slammed for it! I know for a FACT that others out there have thought about doing the same thing, but probably were too scared to hear from all the haters. I say right on...score one for creativity!