Quantcast

32h vs. 36h

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've been hub shopping for my 29er project and was wondering the difference between going with 32 holes vs. 36 holes. Other than 4 holes and a tiny weight difference, I don't know of anything else. I've had my eye on a particular brand of SS disc hub that costs around $125, but found the same hub (same manufacturer), branded as Nashbar, for $35. The only difference other than brand name is that one is 36 holes and the other is 32 holes. What do you think?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On my Yeti 575 rear wheel I built it up with 36 spokes. Actually I went on the idea of more lighter spokes. I used revolutions and alloy nipples. The wheel probably turned out lighter than a 32 spoke wheel and has been very solid. Even after breaking a spoke from the chain hopping behind the cassette the wheel remained nice and straight.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've always said that when picking hubs/rims, go with the hub you like, and the rim you like. If they both come in 36h and you want the small strength increase for a small weight penalty, then go for it. I wouldn't pick a rim/hub combo for one count over the other, though.

I've ridden 'em both and there's not much to pick between well built wheels of either type.

With a 29" single speed it's not going to matter much (since you've ventured way out of the norm anyway), but the other thing I always point out is compatibility. If you're at a race one weekend and you trash your hub/rim, your buddy's almost-globally-standard 32h isn't going to help you much.

I'd go for the cheap one!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some unwritten dork factor associated with 36h, my main concern is that I'll still look cool. ;)

Seriously, thanks for the info. It's pretty much what I thought...strength vs. weight. I don't race, so that doesn't matter. The weight is a little concerning considering it's for a 29er which will already have a higher rotating mass, but I can always play with my gearing to get it comfortable.

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
The other thing I would keep in mind is the larger the wheel, the weaker it is. So, I believe that a 36 spoke hub would be a bit more appropriate to a larger wheel because of that. Especialy if you're not into racing, then the extra weight shouldn't be that much of a factor for you (not that 4 spokes is really that much heavier... plus, you've got 4 extra holes in both the rim and hub, so, it might even be lighter !!! (sorry, I have occasionnal moments of uncontrolable stupidity).

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BikeGeek said:
I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some unwritten dork factor associated with 36h, my main concern is that I'll still look cool. ;)
IMO if anything 32 is teh ghey.

BV, I think 36 is stronger enough to warrant the difference personally, if you're gonna be throwing your bike around anyway. If it's just XC stuff, it's probably not worth it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Changleen said:
BV, I think 36 is stronger enough to warrant the difference personally, if you're gonna be throwing your bike around anyway. If it's just XC stuff, it's probably not worth it.
I don't think most people have any idea how strong a well-built, well maintained wheel is.

I agree that 36h is stronger, I just think that hub/rim choice is more important.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
binary visions said:
I don't think most people have any idea how strong a well-built, well maintained wheel is.

I agree that 36h is stronger, I just think that hub/rim choice is more important.
I agree.

I'm sure 36 is stronger , but not much, you're talking about 1 spoke every 10 degrees vice 11.15 degrees, and you have to consider the possible strength loss on the rims from having extra spoke holes. I'd say it's more beneficial on a bigger wheel like a 29'er

By far the the most important thing is the quality of the parts and build.