Quantcast

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
all time best sprint last night 33.8 mph. It was after i was good and warmed up bout an hour and a half into my work out (also the end because of the sprints) i did 1 cooled down a little bit and then went for it.
slight tail, wind 53/15, flat road

i just cant imagine chippo's 47.5, that's just wicked fast.

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
When's the last time he spinted on his own? You got to remember he is probably doing around 30-35 when the sprint starts if not more.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My fastest in recent memory (and with a tail wind) from a dead stop was 29.6. It took about 4 blocks to get to that speed and it was a bitch to maintain after only 2 more blocks. Kind of a rush though. :cool:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
a 40 mph sprint on truly flat ground from a stop would be pretty hard. When I lived in jersey, I would always finish my rides on a sprint on the road my house was on. It was pretty straight and was just a slight downhill the whole way (sort of a false flat almost). I could never get it up to 40. Every time I tried (every few days) I'd get to right near 38 or 39 but could never crack 40.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Serial Midget said:
Wahhahahahahah. Two tenths muffin. TWO TENTHS!!!

I challenge us both to a 40 MPH Sprint before the season is over. :monkey:
it's on!!!! btw on my sat ride at one point we had a 20+ tail wind. i was cruising along at 32+ at 75% hrm

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
it's on!!!! btw on my sat ride at one point we had a 20+ tail wind. i was cruising along at 32+ at 75% hrm
By we I assume you mean you where in a group situation?

I have quite a ways to go to get back up to where I was last summer. I wasn't giving you any crap, I just haven't done a dead sprint at all this year (or any intervals for that matter) and was curious to see where I was. 90% of my road riding this year has been base miles.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
indieboy said:
i'd jack you guys in a sprint and you guys theoritically should smoke my ass in a sprint
Why? Your weight to power ratio should be much greater than mine plus I am probably twice your age and riding a 20 LB bike with 26mm 90 PSI training tires. It is possible that I might improve my performance with 19mm and 140 PSI. We'll see how that goes when summer is in full swing. In the meantime - keep talking the talk. :sneaky:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
indie, you suck at life. I'll wager $2 pay-pal for anyone here that goes from zero (standing start, trackstand) to 30 in less than 10 seconds. I know I can do it, but I'm not sure if Indie has his snap on right now...
As to sprints that are relevant to a road race... It's all about the aerobic engine, even for a field sprinter. 9 times out of time I can beat UsPro crit champ Kevin Monohan doing sprint workouts where we sprint from a stop, His aerobic engine lets him get to where he needs to be to unleash his moderate sprint. Same thing for your flash pros, like Cipo, Zabel or Pettachi, They aren't Florent Poussin by any means, they use their aerobic motors and tactical skills for 90% of the job, and close the deal with their sprints....

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i'll take that 2 dollar wager
when i was doing my testing, i was hitting 28/29 in 8. i think one gear down i could

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
FYI, the typical windup for pro level sprinters, like Cipo or Petacchi, is their leadout train is turning their top gear for the last 5-8 kilometers before the big boys go at it. Freddy Rodgriguez talked about in a recent Velonews: he said he was leading out Robbie McEwen at 71kph (44.1 mph) before Robbie would take the sprint at 72kph (44.8 mph).

On the typical flat sprint, these guys are motoring beyond normal human speed before they ever see the finish line. In the TdF, I saw Fabian Cancellara leading out Petacchi for at least 2 minutes. This is the guy who won last year's prologue, and he looked like he was red-lining the entire two minutes. I know he probably had a 54/11, and which he could easily turn for 39 mph for a short period of time.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
The thing about the euro and domestic pro guys, the big sprinters out there, is that they are capable of unloading that 1500+ watt sprint at the end of a 4-5 hour day. The climbs and surges and chases and all of the racing leading up to the finish don't slow them down as much as they would a normal rider. I can crack 40 training on my own, my max that I recall is 42.6, but this doesn't make me a threat in a race necassarily because I won't be able to do that at the end of a 70 mile crit or a 5 hour road stage. Hell, sometimes I have to sprint like hell just to keep from getting dropped in corners. Leadouts and all of that help, but the bottom line is that McEwen, Zabel, Petacchi and the like are just all around amazing athletes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sprinting in a race is all relative. Unlike time trialists, there is no objective standards to measure yourself.

Maybe my top speed is on a slight downhill. Maybe your top speed is with a headwind. Maybe your top speed is coming around other riders or when you train by yourself.

I think you know who the good sprinters are. They are the ones who move to the front a mile from the town limit sign. The guys who cross the double yellow for a clear path. These are guys who lean on you to back you down. The guys who win most of the pack sprints.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
indieboy said:
no objective standards to measure yourself????
No objective standards to determine sprinting ability. It is not size, HR, top speed, or wattage. Sometimes it is how much you want it.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
it's funny jon mentioned watts. we have a power to weight ratio contest going on along with our spring xc series. Now keep in mind that it's not the maximum watts that everybody could put out because you can only use their bike, only use flat pedals (no clipin's) etc but what it is, is a level playing field for everyone to be measured by.
now with that being said this hotshot young new to racing beginner racer gets up there and pumps out 1300 watts in a full out sprint, wow. His ratio was like 84.5% because of his weight.
Now I get up there, a crotchety old sport racer that isn’t racing sport but focusing on endurance events. So I set down my beer and commence to pumping. I push out a fantastic 740 watts. I know I can do better so I chug the beer and try again ka-fing-boom! 780 watts!!! But because I’m so much lighter than big boi my ratio is 82.6%. Now I’m actually a little heavy and expect to drop a few pounds over the next couple of months and believe that number to go up. Might even match one lap wonder boi’s.
Now the real question is who can keep the higher watt ratio for the longest period? The world may never know.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
sanjuro said:
No objective standards to determine sprinting ability. It is not size, HR, top speed, or wattage. Sometimes it is how much you want it.
No, not really like any element of cycling there is a skill and tactical component, but power to weight ratio is ultimately what will determine success in a sprint.

17 watts per kg is good enough for someone with a decent threshold that can make it to the front of a race, but we define a world class sprint as 22 watts per kg or higher, which for someone who weighs 70 Kg would be about 1600 watts. As they motorheads say, there's no replacement for displacement.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
Now the real question is who can keep the higher watt ratio for the longest period? The world may never know.
That is all I care about. I try to do a test every month or so to track my progress. Here is all I have to show this year.

10 mile TT at 3% grade. Sometimes going all out, sometimes not, no warm up.

Date Time Avg BPM Avg Power
2/18/2004 37:03:00 148 316
3/25/2004 37:10:00 149 323
2/1/2005 39:38:00 166 281
2/9/2005 35:48:00 163 334
3/25/2005 39:16:00 143 289

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
That is all I care about. I try to do a test every month or so to track my progress. Here is all I have to show this year.

10 mile TT at 3% grade. Sometimes going all out, sometimes not, no warm up.

Date Time Avg BPM Avg Power
2/18/2004 37:03:00 148 316
3/25/2004 37:10:00 149 323
2/1/2005 39:38:00 166 281
2/9/2005 35:48:00 163 334
3/25/2005 39:16:00 143 289
sweat, i want one of those toys.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
I'm in the process of trying to buy a new frame no can do, unless you'll take $3.78 for it?
I'll accept hourly payments of $3.78 for 100 consecutive hours.

What kinda frame you gettin'.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
The wattage output at lactate threshold compared to a rider's weight is probably one of the more useful figures you could look at to get an idea of a rider's potential. It still won't tell you how a rider will do in a field sprint, however. Ignoring the tactical and technical components, you're still talking about acceleration from 30 to 40 mph as fast as you can. Power is an obvious factor, but equally important is muscle composition. For instance, I am made up of more slow twitch muscles. I can crank out 415 watts at threshold and hold it for 30-40 minutes no problem, but I regularly get dropped in field sprints at the races because I have trouble with snapping the bike up to high speeds. I can hit the same top speed as almost anyone out there, but I need much more of a windup to do so, which means winning field sprints for me is a pretty rare thing. Other people can explode off the 200 to go and jump from 25 to 35 mph in 20 pedal strokes at a cadence of 140. You need to be very quick as well as powerful .

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
I'll accept hourly payments of $3.78 for 100 consecutive hours.

What kinda frame you gettin'.
been looking for a racerX but there are none in existence right now. What’s driving me crazy is most STUPID companies are going longer travel and forgetting superdupper racerboi travel (80mm FSR Sworks are all 120mm) Also all of the local TREK dealers are really really proud of their stuff and not discounting them (carbon fuel.)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
jon cross said:
The wattage output at lactate threshold compared to a rider's weight is probably one of the more useful figures you could look at to get an idea of a rider's potential. It still won't tell you how a rider will do in a field sprint, however. Ignoring the tactical and technical components, you're still talking about acceleration from 30 to 40 mph as fast as you can. Power is an obvious factor, but equally important is muscle composition. For instance, I am made up of more slow twitch muscles. I can crank out 415 watts at threshold and hold it for 30-40 minutes no problem, but I regularly get dropped in field sprints at the races because I have trouble with snapping the bike up to high speeds. I can hit the same top speed as almost anyone out there, but I need much more of a windup to do so, which means winning field sprints for me is a pretty rare thing. Other people can explode off the 200 to go and jump from 25 to 35 mph in 20 pedal strokes at a cadence of 140. You need to be very quick as well as powerful .
i can spin at 185. i'm working on pushing that over 200 to up my sprint and kick serial midgets ass. Also it's just good speed work and a break from the base work i'm doing right now.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I mentioned weight because I was thinking about Freddy Rodriguez, on the small side at 145lbs. He is no Tom Boonen, who I think is 6'1", 180lbs, or Petacchi, at 170lbs.

There are obvious signs of good sprinters, like wattage, but the whole package is more than VO2 or haemocrit numbers.