Quantcast

36 talas issues

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
so my Talas system stopped working on me today. the adjuster will only move in one direction ( to the higher travel setting but its at max travel already) and when I cycle the fork it makes a nice clunk sound around 15 mm from the top of the stroke. I'm clueless as to what is going on any ideas? havent got to tear into it yet but hopfully I will know more soon.

its for a 2005 36 Talas RC2 that was rebuilt by fox not more than 3 months ago.

Thanks

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
i had a 2007 Talas that was making a clunk sound when is topped out, i sent it to fox to have it fixed they sent it back with the same problem. i brought it to the fox tent at Mt Snow last year and they couldnt believe how bad it was and that Fox sent it back to me wrong. come to find out the shock had the wrong size cartrige in it and the fork could function properly. they stopped everything and fixed it for me on the spot, upgrading everything in it to pro settings. back to the point, Fox may have messed up.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
ya its funny, I rode that fork for 16 months with no issues then sent it to fox and a few rides later it craps out on me. gona crack it open today and talk to fox on monday.

thanks for your imput I read your thread in my searching.

nmr8

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
sounds like a rebuild fail to me, good luck, hopefully fox represents.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
well I rebuilt the fork tonight and still has the same symptoms, talas dosent work and clunks mid travel. so Im gona call fox monday. I have the Talas 1 system and there tech article is for the talas 2 system so im not quite sure how to time it and get it adjusted right.

any body know how to time a talas 1?

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
The clunk is probably coming from the compression side. Funked shimstak would be our guess.
Timing should be identical for both systems. That 2 degrees is critical.
I don't thinks so, I rebuilt just the talas side and when i cycled the fork with the talas side out no noise. talas back in and it still makes the noise.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
well fox was absolutly no help, talked to 2 different techs today and none of them had any usefull advice on how to time the talas 1 system. I rebuilt it 5 times to day and I still cant get the talas to engage. when i bench test it works fine then when I install it into the fork the rode in the uper cartrige will "unlock" from the cartrige and the travel adjust knob just spins and spins.

Im going to keep trying but i may have to give up and send it in and spend the $150 again!