Quantcast

36er Prototype Pictures.

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Yup. He's also the guy who's built the Salsa Cromo stems for years. So many people are riding his stuff and don't even know it.

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
How about a clean shot of what you got here for those that don't subscribe to empty beer? A picture portrays a thousand words....

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
OK, so my curiosity got the best of me and I ventured into the site that is all about itself to see what the next big thing is. I say it's cool and good on ya for taking available parts and pieces and some initiative to get something done that others have only talked about doing as I remember one English bloke talking up this concept a few years ago.

But now you know what it feels like when we hit the net with 29" wheels 7 years ago perhaps a bit? It sure seems like the old opinions are like a holes just keeps on trucking. Not to mention that the bike industry itself is the last to accept change within its boundaries. But the fact that just regular folks get all obnoxious about something like this is either funny or just plain sad.

One thing for sure is that if I am ever in the proximity of one of them I will be the first in line to swing a leg over it and take it for a spin. Just to say I did.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
OK, so my curiosity got the best of me and I ventured into the site that is all about itself to see what the next big thing is. I say it's cool and good on ya for taking available parts and pieces and some initiative to get something done that others have only talked about doing as I remember one English bloke talking up this concept a few years ago.
I remember that too. I've been privy to the goings on for awhile now. I can't tell ya how hard it was not to share! I'm not good with a secret, especially as cool as this one was.

But now you know what it feels like when we hit the net with 29" wheels 7 years ago perhaps a bit? It sure seems like the old opinions are like a holes just keeps on trucking. Not to mention that the bike industry itself is the last to accept change within its boundaries. But the fact that just regular folks get all obnoxious about something like this is either funny or just plain sad.
Amen! I felt the same thing reading some of the off handed, smug, and negative remarks. I said as much on my post today on my blog. Funny you should mention it too.

One thing for sure is that if I am ever in the proximity of one of them I will be the first in line to swing a leg over it and take it for a spin. Just to say I did.
I hope to do just that this weekend. I can't wait to see it!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Fillet brazed steel. Ben didn't have time before Frost Bike to get it properly painted, so it's clearcoated over raw ChroMo for now.

I'll try to get some "action shots" this weekend at Frost Bike if somebody else doesn't beat me to it.

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
I know its another link, but clicky the linky for more shots: http://www.pbase.com/martini_ss/frostbike_36er

Both Ted and I got a chace to ride it. T'aint nothin' like it. Nothing upsets it, it just plows right over everything. This'd be a great northern plains bike(uh, like we're from!), or an area that's got lots of gravel to ride.

That's me. I'm 6'5". All grins you see.

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
It's it funny though, that this 36"er is getting many more "I want to try that" and less "that's stupid" remarks than even 29"ers after their first couple of birthdays?
The bike culture seems to be warming up, thanks to singlespeed and 29" just refusing to go away, and luring in more riders than losings them.

I wholeheartedly want one. why have multiple bikes that are all pretty much the same? A Dutch saying goes some' like "change of food makes for eating".

I wonder if I would dare ride down long ascalators on such a beast. I hte dismounting for them on my commute, descending to the tunnel to bring me across the Rotterdam Harbour's main artery.

Geared correctly, this thing might be the ultimate hill climb tool?

I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it here : huge props to Ben for being the first to actually make this happen. It's not a new idea, many have flirted with it, but Ben made it happen. That takes the kind of balls 3 billion men can envy him for. And he's done it right first time too, it seems. Hurray!

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
No one's arguing that the 36er is the future of bikes. It's just a fun experiment.

I covet one as a NYC commuter. Definitely more functional than some of the bikes I see around town...

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I think it's a viable bike for commuting, gravel/fire road riding, and light XC, just as it is. If there could be some developement in the area of wheels and tires, then this might even go further.

Ben told me I'm welcome to try it on a long gravel grind sometime, and I'm going to take him up on it. I'll be sure to give my impressions afterwards.

That all said, it's the funnest bike I have ever ridden from a sheer "grin factor" perspective. I want one just for the kicks more than anything else.

benwitt11

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Thanks to all for the great comments.

I am planning on leaving the bike "raw." It is a little better than that though. The steel and fillets have been polished, and I really like the result. The clear itself is temporary, but I'm looking into a clear powdercoat job. I've heard that it exists, but we'll see. Th decals are going on today. They are white, and should set the frame off pretty nice.

I'm to change the drive train up soon. Any votes for 1x6 or SS? I haven't decided yet.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Thats a cool bike! Where ever did you find tires for it? are they custom to?
Ben got the tires for it from the unicycle world where 36" wheels are more common. The tires came as slicks and Ben custom carved the tread into them.

Ben: My vote would be 1 X 6. I'd like to see someone try this off road, so I'm thinking 1 X 6 would be a bit more conducive to that task. At least in the single track.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think Ben should bring it to the Northeast Monkeyfest in the Kingdom Trails of Vermont.

If the 36er can handle those trails (switchback city) it can handle just about anything else out there I would think.