Quantcast

40 lb Cove Shocker!

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
Just finished building My Cove, with a goal of 40 pounds.

Cove Shocker
Fox DHX 5.0 w Ti spring
07 Boxxer Team
07 Avid Codes
Sunline Bar, stem, Grips
Sunline V2 Headset
Sram X9 drivetrain
165mm x 83mm Gravity Lights
Lg-1 (soon to be Gamut P-30)
E-13 DH g-ring 36 t
SDG i fly saddle / i-beam post
08 Sun Ringle ADD lite wheels
Maxxis Minion DHF

Going with the Codes and the Boxxer team (I will always prefer coil over air), I'm not sacrificing performance for weight. The wheels aren't super light either (2200g) and with a frame of 10.29 lbs I think I did pretty good.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
All bikes do indeed break, Coves are no exceptions. I have seen many broken ones, It happens. Come to where the bikes are prevalent and you will see them break, same as anything else really.

They ride fantastic however.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Still waiting to see that pedal upgrade. ;)

How much do those way?

he's got MG-1's on there in that shot. Super light, 360grams/pair and I've been using them on the DH bike for a full year of smashing rocks without problems.

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
Sorry, been busy riding all weekend. The front triangle is an 07, only a few months old. But the rear end is from one of the original 06 bikes, it has a 14.25" bb

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Sorry, been busy riding all weekend. The front triangle is an 07, only a few months old. But the rear end is from one of the original 06 bikes, it has a 14.25" bb
wow! how did you get it so low? On the cove site, it says clearly 14,5 for the bb, and from other websites the 07 an 08 version come in at 14,7 which is really high! would you think this has to do with the 07 front and 06 rear? or are you running your boxxers really low? thanks for the info!

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
wow! how did you get it so low? On the cove site, it says clearly 14,5 for the bb, and from other websites the 07 an 08 version come in at 14,7 which is really high! would you think this has to do with the 07 front and 06 rear? or are you running your boxxers really low? thanks for the info!
I got the boxxers down pretty low.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Did you go up in size for the new one. Looks like the large, and your black one looked more like the medium?? Anyway, sick bikes. Do you find any difference with the shock mounted in the lower hole? Obviously it makes the BB a little lower, whats it do to your travel? Less? Noticeable? Thinking about checking it out on mine.

Got it to sub 40 with one small change(new frame has cutouts in swingarm and linkage)

and I brightened it up a bit too.

big dan

Chimp
Oct 12, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Did you go up in size for the new one. Looks like the large, and your black one looked more like the medium?? Anyway, sick bikes. Do you find any difference with the shock mounted in the lower hole? Obviously it makes the BB a little lower, whats it do to your travel? Less? Noticeable? Thinking about checking it out on mine.

Yeah i was curious about the 2 shock mount holes as well. I have always run the top mount.

Think it is still a medium, i have just gone to a large after riding a medium last season and it has an extra gusset under the little dc sticker near the seattube.

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
Yeah i was curious about the 2 shock mount holes as well. I have always run the top mount.

Think it is still a medium, i have just gone to a large after riding a medium last season and it has an extra gusset under the little dc sticker near the seattube.

They are both mediums. The two mounting holes have nothing to do with geometry. the upper mount is for more progressive travel, and lower mount is more linear. the mounts would have to be for and aft to affect the geometry.

I'm looking forward to the new Vivid on the rear, I've heard some good things. hopefully I get it soon.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Thanks for the info DarrylB! I looked at moving the shock and noticed that it wouldn't make any difference at all to the geo. Though the linear travel is something i've always been into. I'll be testin it out on some trails tomoz! Cheers!

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Hey DarrylB. How much do you weigh and what weight spring are you running in your shocker?? Although mine rides amazing i'm sure that i'm running to high of a spring weight?? I weigh 150/155 lbs and i'm running 450 spring!

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
I'm around 190 lbs, I've been running a 450 on my Fox, But I just picked up a Vivid with the new frame, I've been thinking of trying a 400, Shaums has been telling me my bike feels too preloaded.