Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

intensem1

Monkey
Oct 15, 2006
First off I will let the other thread die off, alot of pics have been removed due to time and space.

This is the 08' Weight weenie thread. (I'll start another in 09" ) There's a ton of change in the industry regarding weight savings/tubeless etc..
Its build time around the globe so lets start off with some basic guidelines:
1- bikes posted should have pics
2- bike weights have to be around the 40 mark or will be soon.
3- Tips and help is appreciated for all.
4- experienced feedback regarding parts is always appreciated.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
My Preston build.... 39.7lbs after I changed a few things... She was on the heavy side

Just started my 08 Blindside build almost done with her, just waiting on a few parts. Hopefully be done this weekend, I am trying to get her at 40lb but it may not happen the frame and shock was at 11.37lbs I tried to go light on the parts but at 235lb I need the burly stuff..

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Just added this to the old post, so here is mine, guess here is better anyways seeing its the new year

Transition Dirtbag 04, Spec list. DB Rockers Romic shock, Juicy 7's E13 Drs, Singletrack SL1 wheels on XT hubes, 07 66. RF Prodigy cranks, seatpost. RF diabolus stem and bars, ODI Rogues. Full X9 drivetrain, SHimano DX pedals, slimjim seat. Weighed in right at 39.2 lbs on teh shops Digital scale.

Stem in pics is still the easton i had, and still had the x7 rear when i first built it, also i hadnt cut teh steerer yet either, so yes its about an inch cut off from the pics

Oh yeah, Stans notubes kit
Here pics

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
at last i got my ride pretty close to 40 lbs.... now it weights 40.6 lbs.... but i´ll change into a 07 factory sunday and ex 1750 wheels.. so i thinki´ll shave like 1 lbs maybe a little more..

specs..

sunday team 06 (repainted) w/ dhx 5.0 ti spring
boxxer wc 06
sunline stem, bars. grips
dt 440 hubs
atomlab pimplites rims
maxxis minion F tires
race face diabolus cranks
e 13 lightguide w/taco
easton flatboy pedals
sdg i beam seat and seatpost
sram x0 shifter/x9 derailleur
avid code 08 brakes

that´s my ride... i hope you like it

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
yes i know... but it´s a little hard to get light components easily down here...

and buy them in the states is a good deal but the shipping cost and taxes...
haha no worries I was just pointing out- thats a pretty sick build as is. I love the sundays

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004

40 lbs is still just a dream for me. It's sitting mid 43's and I don't know of many more places to cut weight without spending lots to get little. The frame itself is the big anchor weighing everything down. I've never had much luck with lighter rims.

Parts as follows
2005 Norco Team DH frame with custom shock shuttle (13.75"bb & 64.5 degree ha)
Fox DHX 5.0 with RCS Ti spring
2007 Marzocchi 888 RC2X WC fork with 2005 Marz tall crowns
Hadley/Mavic 729 rear
Formula/Mavic 729 front
Avid Juicy 5 8/6 rotors, Straitline levers
Thomson Elite 50mm stem
Chromag flat bar
Sram x9 shifter/X.0 rear derailleur
E.13 SRS with Gamut bash/Blackspire 38 chainring
Hone Cranks
Shimano 12-28 cassette.
SDG I-fly I Beam seat/post
Wellgo MG-1 pedals
Maxxis Minion DHF c/w Stans strips & sealant

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Carnaza killer build bro... I am jealous.. How do you like the Pimplite rims? I just got a wheelset built with Pimps cause I am 235lb. But how long you been riding the lites any problems?? Also what do you think you can change to get her lighter, just curious.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
Carnaza killer build bro... I am jealous.. How do you like the Pimplite rims? I just got a wheelset built with Pimps cause I am 235lb. But how long you been riding the lites any problems?? Also what do you think you can change to get her lighter, just curious.
i like a lot the pimplites they are light enough for me... and they are also cheap (at least here), i like the pimps too but they are too much heavy.. i weight 83 kilos (like 185 lbs) and i´ve been riding those rims for mmmmm 3 month now... and i had just one problem to find the exact lenght of the spokes, but nothing else... the wheels still being straight and strong... we´ll see what happen in the future.

and to get the ride lighter mmm don´t know very much i use to change parts bcause i just like the new one.... but i think with the factory sunday, dt wheelset, fsa gravity light cranks, sdg i fly saddle and that... next week i´ll upgrade the x9 derailleur into a x0 short cage...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Sense you want everyones 08 bikes I will repost mine in the new thread.

My 7"x7" do it all DHer.
Build:
Frame Morewood Shova LT Size Large
Rear Shock Fox DHX 5.0 Air
Fork Totem Air
Brakes Formula K24s 8” disc
Truvativ Stylo Cranks 175mm
E-13 LG1 with Taco
Thomson Stem and Seat Post
Azonic OutLaw Wheelset with Michelin Tires setup Tubeless
Bars Sunline V1s
Sram X9 shifter and X9 Mid Cage Derailleur
Sram 26-11 Road Cassette
Cane Creek Head Set
Forté Pro SLX Saddle

Shes around 36lbs.......

paulm

Chimp
Oct 7, 2007
london, UK
First post, just finished my first DH bike - now just have to wait till next summer to ride it in the alps :-( Hopefully this post might be useful for anyone wondering which bits give the best weight-reduction bang-for-buck.

Started life as an old-stock '06 cannondale judge FR2. Going to guess it weighed about 44lbs stock. being from an XC background I decided it was in need of a major diet - I'm a light guy and smooth on a bike so I dont need huge strength in my parts, so it was a bit 'over built' with 36h wheels and heavy cranks etc. I would guess the Judge now weighs in around 38-39lbs will get it weighed next time I'm in a bike shop. Original spec is on the cannondale website, but it's fairly basic. I've built the bike for riding morzine/les getz in france, and i think it's ideal for that kind of riding, can even ride it up hills!

Build:
Front Wheel: Mavic Crossmax SX 20mm - 910g for the complete wheel
Rear Wheel: Hope Pro II 32h with Mavic EX823 rim
'08 FSA Gravity lite 83mm / 165mm crankset (very cool) 22t and 36t rings
'07 Marzocchi 888 RC2X VA - should probably have gone to a WC?
'07 Fox DHX 5.0 with RCS Ti 450lb spring
'08 hayes stroker trials (no one seems to have the carbon in stock)
Aztec 203mm rotors (50g lighter than V8s)
Time ATAC Control-Z pedals
'07 Gravity lite carbon riser bar
Thompson Elite seatpost
Fizik Plateau seat with Ti rails
Ultegra 23-12t cassette
shifters are SRAM trigger X7
derailiers are SRAM X9 rear and LX front

Parts that make a *big* difference:
Wheels - huge weight loss here - 800g+ PER WHEEL going tubeless
Cranks - Gravity lites knocked 300g off the old bb/crank
Rear shock - going to a DHX and Ti spring dropped 350g
Cassette - dropped 170g going to a road cassette

Parts that made things worse:
Fork - going from an '06 VF2 to an '07 RCX2 VA added 100g, but a much better fork
Stroker brakes - a bit heavier than MAGs (70g)

Parts that look pretty, but didn't do *much* (in terms of weight)
Handlebar - carbon bar 120g lighter
Thompson seatpot - 52g lighter
Aztec 203mm rotors - 51g lighter
MRP carbon bash gaurd

Options considered:
Different fork;
Boxxer WC, 888 WC or Fox 40RC2... wanted something maintance-free and critically not air sprung - had problems flying my bike around with air suspension (taking a day or two to get it dialed after a flight)

Wheels;
The crossmax SX front should be fine for me, could have gone real weight crazy and gone for the ST (710gms) but not wide enough and probaly too fragile. Mavic dont do a rear SX in 150mm/12mm so had to go with the hope/823 in the rear. Considered Deemax, but actually a comparitively heavy wheelset and pretty expensive.

Carbon seatpost... hmmm I was game for a handlebar, but seatpost splinters freak me out ;-)

Think thats about as far as I can take it, could probably save another pound going for a Fox 40 or WC fork I guess, pretty happy with it as it stands.

Attachments

ewoq

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
germany

commencal mini dh | fox 36 van rc2 | fox dhx 5.0 | dt onyx + sun single track | hope mono m4 | sram x.9 | shimano hone | shimano ultegra 11-23 | sram pc 89r | nc-17 magnesium | fsa dh 38t | mrp system 3 | sdg i-beam & i-fly | nokon konkavex | fsa the pig dh pro | syntace vector dh | easton vice | spank lock-on | schwalbe av13 & big betty .......... 16.2 kg

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well it's time for me. The bike is a 07 model but I had a broken arm/injured leg for most of the 07 season so I've ridden it like 2 times this year.

Before Riding:

After

The bike is almost All stock 07 Lapierre dh-230. Changed the cassette, put ti screws everywhere I couldd, added the pedals, shortened the seattube and now it seats at 40.1-40.3. Probably I'd invest more in weight saving but for now I'm building a dirtbike so no $$ for dh. I also don't feel i need it much lighter than 39-40lbs

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
First off I will let the other thread die off, alot of pics have been removed due to time and space.

This is the 08' Weight weenie thread. (I'll start another in 09" ) There's a ton of change in the industry regarding weight savings/tubeless etc..
Its build time around the globe so lets start off with some basic guidelines:
1- bikes posted should have pics
2- bike weights have to be around the 40 mark or will be soon.
3- Tips and help is appreciated for all.
4- experienced feedback regarding parts is always appreciated.
Thats almost identical to one of my other posts. Even the I'll start another..
LMAO! I feel like E-13 someones copying me! :shocked:
Im suing for copyright infringement!!!!!!!!!!! :rockout:

Still rocking the BLING 07 Canfield F1..... Will for this season.

Ill add a pic with the twenty6 pedals and all tomorrow. I am tired, new baby boy, new Sign shop here in So cal.... Opened today! So Ill bring the sled down tomorrow and snap/post some pics.
39.8lbs
Canfield F1 (large)
Avalanche DHS with Ti spring and hi lo add on
Industry 9 wheels (1 set with white syncros 1 set with d6.1's)
XTR cassette 07
Gamut p20
Middleburn rs7 cranks
twenty6 red gem pedals
Hopey dapmer superlight
07 888 WC white lowers
DB stem (integrated)
Formula oro bianco 180 rear 200 front
answer pro taper 31.8 bars
sdg ifly saddle and I beam post
Titanium King headset

YADDY YADDY YA! Ill snap a pic and let it explain itself.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Close, fall conditions are just that muddy there. Still need to get a soft rear tire for that place(switching to tubeless sucks )

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I changed some stuff on my bike trying to make it lighter. As it sits I am running single ply 2.35 tires with xc tubes (will change for dh courses) and I have a light guide, cut my steerer tube, and have a lighter front wheel. (Deetrax) The I-fly C seat is new as well, I need to angle it a bit more downward. I also switched the 11-32 cassette to an 11-28 cassette!!

I don't know the exact weight but I hope its under 40. 39.99 would be nice! :busted:

I need to get the right bolts to put the taco on:

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Thats almost identical to one of my other posts. Even the I'll start another..
LMAO! I feel like E-13 someones copying me! :shocked:
Im suing for copyright infringement!!!!!!!!!!! :rockout:

Still rocking the BLING 07 Canfield F1..... Will for this season.

Ill add a pic with the twenty6 pedals and all tomorrow. I am tired, new baby boy, new Sign shop here in So cal.... Opened today! So Ill bring the sled down tomorrow and snap/post some pics.
39.8lbs
Canfield F1 (large)
Avalanche DHS with Ti spring and hi lo add on
Industry 9 wheels (1 set with white syncros 1 set with d6.1's)
XTR cassette 07
Gamut p20
Middleburn rs7 cranks
twenty6 red gem pedals
Hopey dapmer superlight
07 888 WC white lowers
DB stem (integrated)
Formula oro bianco 180 rear 200 front
answer pro taper 31.8 bars
sdg ifly saddle and I beam post
Titanium King headset

YADDY YADDY YA! Ill snap a pic and let it explain itself.

Nice rig bro.... Do you have a pic her with the AVY.. How much weight did you save with the Avy over the Fox.. I am building a Blindside for my 08 DH rig and I was debating either sending the DHX 5.0 out to Push or going with an AVY.. I dont think I can run a Ti spring since I need a 600lb spring it will rub on the Fox.. Anyway awesome bike.. I am jealous....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks and I am 6 ozs heavier due inpart to the 10" line i needed plus the extra fittings. Still under 40 though. Ill dig a piv of it up with the Avy. I have Ti 550's (2) on my shocks, the one on the fox does rub a little.
IMO Id go Avy and forget about it, I run the fox from time to time for fun and its always a sweet change to put the Avy back on again. Kinda like being new every time. :D

Avy will be back on this coming weekend for the Fontana race so I'll put it on and snap a pic.

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
I figured id make my first post a good one.

07 Cove Shocker
Boxxer Team (world cup lowers)
Fox DHX 5.0 450 Ti spring
X9 Drivetrain
Truvativ Cranks
E-13 LG1
Axiom Road Gaps
Cromag Integrated stem (heavy)
Funn Fatboy bar
Avid Juicy 7's
Race face Diabolus Seatpost (heavy)
Cromag Lynx Ti saddle
MTX/Formula front
Mavic 823/Ringle rear
Tubeless Maxxis minion f 3c

In the mail:
Thompson Elite post
Sunline Boxxer stem
- waiting for 744 mm V1 bar to be in stock!
Sun Ringle ADD lite wheels

Im thinking of Gravity Lite cranks, any other 83mm sugestions?

43 lbs, and it's going on a diet

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
42.65 lbs.

2008 Devinci Wilson 3, stock except the Minnon DHF super tackys.

Planning on picking up the Deity DH bars and saddle when they are released.

MaD666MaX

Monkey
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal
My setup for 2008

Frame: Morewood Izimu DH 2007
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0
Spring: Ti 350lbs
Fork: Rock Shox Boxxer WC
Headset: Chris King NoThreadset with topcap Thomson
Stem: Thomson Elite 0° x 50
Bar: Answer Pro Taper 1" Carbon
Bar ends: Plastic
spacers: Carbon
Grips: ODI Lock-On Cane Creek
Crank: Truvativ Holzfeller DH
BB: Truvativ Howitzer Team
Pedals: Speedplay drillium
Chain guide: MRP G2
Crank bolts: FSA Aluminium
Sproket: FSA DH 38t
Front brake: Avid Juicy 7 Carbon 203mm with Code caliper
Rear brake: Avid Juicy 7 Carbon 203mm with Code caliper
Front hub: Ringlé ABBAH SOS DH(20mm)
Rear Hub: Ringlé ABBAH SOS DH(150X12mm)
Rims: Mavic EX721
Spokes: DT Supercomp 260mm
Nipples: DT Alu 12mm
Front tire: Michelin Comp16 2.5
Rear tire: Michelin Comp24.1 2.5
Rimtape: Tape
Sealler: Stan's Notube
Tubes: Axiom 20X1.125
Cassette: Sram PG-990 11-32
Chain: KMC X9SL TiN
Derailleur: Sram X.0 short cage
Shifter: Sram X.0 with teflon coated cable
Housing: Jagwire Ripcord 5mm
Seat post: Thomson Elite 30,9mm 220mm
Saddle: SDG Ti Fly
Seat clamp: Morewood

Around 38lbs

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Bringing it back- 39.5 pound iron horse yakuza.

I would have to invest a lot more money to get any more considerable weight off. I'm happy the way it is now. :)

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
My Blindside 39.9 lbs.

let me know what you guys think.

Specs
Frame - Blindside
Shock - RS Vivid 5.1
Fork - Boxxer team
Brakes - Juciy 7 brakes
Drive - x.9 drive
Wheels - Deetrax wheels
Tires - minions
Cranks - Fsa Gravity lite 165mm cranks
Bar - Fsa Gravity lite bar
head set - zero stack FSA
stem - e13 boxxer direct mount
grips - Odi Rouge
Pedals - welgo MG-1
Seat - TBC Allmountain
guide - fsa
Seatpost - Thompson 30.0
cassette - Sram 980
chain - sram991

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
Well it's time for me. The bike is a 07 model but I had a broken arm/injured leg for most of the 07 season so I've ridden it like 2 times this year.

Before Riding:

The bike is almost All stock 07 Lapierre dh-230. Changed the cassette, put ti screws everywhere I couldd, added the pedals, shortened the seattube and now it seats at 40.1-40.3. Probably I'd invest more in weight saving but for now I'm building a dirtbike so no $$ for dh. I also don't feel i need it much lighter than 39-40lbs
get rid of that chainguide and you'll lose like nearly two pounds from the bike easy! that has got to be the heaviest, chainguide in history! Put an LG1 on there! the only way to go

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Totally agree with the chainguide on the lapierre, i have one and took it straight off after one ride - the ring was massive and the guide is very heavy.

Put an mrp slalom on there but had to hack and cut away at it to get it to fit - i dont know if the lg1 fits any easier.

Rick