Quantcast

495 jumps and the HOT lanes

jabberwock

Chimp
Jul 7, 2008
Reston, VA
I don't know if anyone has heard, but the state is fast tracking the HOT (high occupancy toll) lane project of 495. Apparently, they are planning on starting work on the Little River Turnpike intersection and lane expansion soon (as in next month). I hear they will be adding two lanes to the beltway and expanding the junction with Little River Turnpike.

I'm not entirely sure how this will affect the jumps, but theres a chance that they will be partially or totally plowed under during the construction. I'm trying to find out exactly whats going to be affected.

Just trying to get the word out. We have a thread discussing the HOT lanes on the MORE forum here: http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12087

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I saw a few things about this and it is making me nervous. Some people are skeptical saying its not going through yet, but i am definitely worried. If this goes into effect you can pretty much kiss most of 495 goodbye, since it is about 30 feet off the beltway.

Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
That would suck bigtime... If theyre going to be adding 2 lanes to that section of the beltway I can't see the jumps surviving, cause like mobius said, theyre like 30 feet off the beltway. This is the first ive heard about this HOT lane business though. I don't drive through that area during rush hour very often, but I thought the setup thats in place now was working fine?

jabberwock

Chimp
Jul 7, 2008
Reston, VA
I guess I should post an update.

Preliminary info I'm hearing is that the land the jumps sit on shouldn't be affected. The lanes are going to be going in in the center of the beltway at that point, and the construction should intrude on the shoulders only minimally.

This whole HOT lane thing is definitely going super fast. It almost seems like the DOT is trying to get things moving without giving people a chance to comment. So many people don't even know its happening, and they are scheduled to start in like August!

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
I was working with Rich from IMBA yesterday and he said non of the jumps should be affected. And yes they are fast tracking the HOT lanes because of the disgusting amount of traffic in the area. Move while you can!!!! It will only get worse!!!!(Traffic and people that is.)