Quantcast

4x/DS bike

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i know there isnt a DS/4x thread here but im looking to get rid of my Uzzi VPX and get a short travel (3.5-4.5"ish) bike for DS and or 4x.

i cant seem to find too many options out there, but i was eying the Specialized SX or Transition Double since both are around the same price at retail.
the Commencal Meta 4x is nice, but the price will go up since it doesnt come with a rear shock.

....are there any other frames i should be looking at? im looking to keep the price around $1500 and below.
ill be throwing my Fox 36 Talas fork on it too btw

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I really liked my arrow DS-3 for BMXey type stuff, but it pedaled like garbage. I imagine with one of the "band-aid" shocks it might work a bit better, but they're cheap and handle well otherwise. Otherwise, soul cycles matador, and anything any other thread points to.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
My wife and I have both been racing Specialized P.3s and they are an excellent bike for the price (buy used if you can).

I am planning to move to dually next year, either the Commencal 4X or SX. If you are lovin' Intense you could get a Tazer. If you ask really nice, Mitch Ropelato might sell you his :)

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Do*Ber*Mann Le Pink!

this one is mine:

Single speed, light, steel....

nuff said!

** mine should be built very soon!

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My wife and I have both been racing Specialized P.3s and they are an excellent bike for the price (buy used if you can).

I am planning to move to dually next year, either the Commencal 4X or SX. If you are lovin' Intense you could get a Tazer. If you ask really nice, Mitch Ropelato might sell you his :)
the P3 is hardtail which im not looking for. and im going to buy a new frame..i try and stay away from buying anything used, especially bikes.

the Tazer is nice, but a lot more than i want to spend and its too small for me
i think Mitch might be a wee bit shorter than me too

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
While the Doberman is nice, its more of a DJ / slopestyle bike. Not many people gonna be winning slalom/4x on a single speed (not that iH8rice is gonna be winning with gears either :D ) Also, doesn't the concentric bb/pivot require a bmx style 3pc crank?

Steve, I've heard good things from people racing (santa cruz) blur 4x. I've heard Yeti's 4x frames are nice too.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
While the Doberman is nice, its more of a DJ / slopestyle bike. Not many people gonna be winning slalom/4x on a single speed (not that iH8rice is gonna be winning with gears either :D ) Also, doesn't the concentric bb/pivot require a bmx style 3pc crank?

Steve, I've heard good things from people racing (santa cruz) blur 4x. I've heard Yeti's 4x frames are nice too.
Yeti 4X frames are really nice. SPAM ALERT! Got an almost new 08 medium if you are interested.:D

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Yes you should need a 19mm Spindle and Cranks arms.... Profiles Cranks would suffice! i see people running profiles on their DH bikes all the time.... I did for several seasons....

I should be getting mine this week, and it should be built up fairly soon (week or two)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
A teammate has a Specialized SX. Really comfortable fit wise, uber low BB. I couldn't imagine there being a bike that has better attention to detail than that one.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

yeah i dont want SS, nor that Doberman.
the Yeti is nice, but its at the upper end of my budget.
the Blur 4x is nice, but they are sold out and not doing another run just yet (according to their site)

and i did win the Platty overall DS last year. ;) and 2nd overall this year. all on my Revolt

A teammate has a Specialized SX. Really comfortable fit wise, uber low BB. I couldn't imagine there being a bike that has better attention to detail than that one.
for the price, i dont see a better option.

im leaning towards the SX.

i know i can get the Foes 2:1 4X cheap, but even my price is still a lot of money

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Ever consider a kona bass or cowan DS, i had one, it was kinda cool, i never got to race it but i would think it should work good

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Also, Richard and the Morewood guys are some awesome set of guys..... they will def. hook you up, call Richard....

Going from a Izimu to a Makulu soon....

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Also, Richard and the Morewood guys are some awesome set of guys..... they will def. hook you up, call Richard....
hook up as far as pricing?? i dont know any dealer that sells Morewood, so id have to pay retail :mad:

maybe theyd trade for some electronic equiptment

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hook up as far as pricing?? i dont know any dealer that sells Morewood, so id have to pay retail :mad:

Hey, my boss ordered some speakers and the plant accidentally sent extras. Come check 'em out, they're in my van.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC

I mean they will hook you up with what you need.... lol

Hey, they may have some of the past years, like an '08, in stock and selling for a little less... don't be afraid to ask, u know. Doesn't hurt to ask u know.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
SX all the way. As much as I complain about Spesh, I do own an SX and SXT and I think the SX is as perfect as a bike can be for it's intended purpose. More so than the generally well-loved SXT.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I mean they will hook you up with what you need.... lol

Hey, they may have some of the past years, like an '08, in stock and selling for a little less... don't be afraid to ask, u know. Doesn't hurt to ask u know.
ill ask about older models. as long as its new, i dont have a problem getting a older model.
SX all the way. As much as I complain about Spesh, I do own an SX and SXT and I think the SX is as perfect as a bike can be for it's intended purpose. More so than the generally well-loved SXT.
i was diggin the SX, but i had forgotten about the Morewood.
if the SX's paintjob was over the top and it didnt have the shock sleeve on the bottom, itd be a no brainer.
the Morewood looks a little more muted out..........but then again the Morewood could ride like sht!t and the SX could be a wet dream....

decisions decisions

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Norco 4x, like the same price complete as most of the frames mentioned. 09 has a great feel, much better than 08.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
A big guy like you should be on a Foes. It's super-stiff and super-responsive. You would kill it dude! Save your pennies....sell some more headphones or something.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
A big guy like you should be on a Foes. It's super-stiff and super-responsive. You would kill it dude! Save your pennies....sell some more headphones or something.
im going to find out how much they are tomorrow anywho, but i dont think ill get it. $2300 retail is kinda steep.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Have you given thought to a Transition Double?
It's the bike I ride and I like it the most so far out of the other bikes I have owned.
I previously rode a Yeti 4x, Yeti DJ & an Azonic DS-1.

So far the Transition Double is better than all of them IMO. :thumb:

Here is a link to a photo of my Double. Click here

Last edited:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
My double felt pretty good on the platty DS course until I crashed. But that was a tire choice/trying to win or crash trying to win, issue.

the course there was pretty rough though and I may have done better on my SS. Hey if racing on your DH bike works than do it. I've done it myself, PJ does it all the time, and apparently it works for you too.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Have you considered a Banshee Rampant?

Fairly light, it's sitting at 13.8kg in that pic, seems to accelerate when landing a jump and feels more nimble than anything I've ridden previously.

Last edited:

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
i was diggin the SX, but i had forgotten about the Morewood.
if the SX's paintjob was over the top and it didnt have the shock sleeve on the bottom, itd be a no brainer.
the Morewood looks a little more muted out..........but then again the Morewood could ride like sht!t and the SX could be a wet dream....

decisions decisions
The 2010's paint is a better:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Seriously Steve, consider the GamJam when the shock is set stiff it feels like 2"-3" travel with the slack ha and low bb it will be fast. Geoff has been riding one for the past three weeks, he says it feels like it has 24" wheel bmx bike with a little give. Drop me a line if you want to get a delivered price.

Last edited:

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Seriously Steve, consider the GamJam when the shock is set stiff it feels like 2"-3" travel with the slack ha and low bb it will be fast. Geoff has been riding one for the past three weeks, he says it feels like it has 24" wheel bmx bike with a little give. Drop me a line if you want to get a delivered price.

There was a guy at Wisp GES rockin' a white GamJam. Very nice bike in person. Hmmmm.....small Foes 4x for sale?:eek:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The 2010's paint is a better:
i just saw Specialized's dealer site last night and saw they had a red. i didnt think it was the clown bike colors from '09.

pm sent

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
Steve - are you going to come up to Windham and race 4x Aug 15 - I'll be there and going to try to make the last few Platty races plus Blue MTN