Quantcast

4X Faction Setup

Andrei

Chimp
May 15, 2009
I've got a new Evil Faction SS complete and I'm looking for some inspiration for a 4x setup. Any input on components should help.

My current picks are:

Fox F100 80-100mm
XT or SLX cranks ??
E13 Ring 34-35-36 ??
LG1 (LG1+)
11-25 cassette
Saint rear derraileur + XTR shifter
Formula The One brakes (from my Revolt)

The wheels are a keeper for now. I'm thinking of a Hope Pro II hub for the front (9mm&20mm compatible, maybe as a complete Hope Hoop).

The stock SS setup:
Frame: Triple Butted Seamless 4130 Cromoly Steel Dirt Jump/Street/Park
Forks: Marzocchi Dirt Jump 3, 20mm Thru Axle, 80mm Travel
Chainset: Cromoly Three Piece, 28T Chain Ring
Bottom Bracket: 48T Splined Euro BB
Chain: KMC Single Speed
Freewheel: Single Speed Cog 12/13/14T
Headset: FSA Impact, 1"1/8th Campy Standard Intergrated
Stem: FSA Gravity GAP, 45mm Length, 31.8mm Bar Clamp
Handlebars: FSA Maximus, 40mm Rise, 31.8 Bar Clamp
Front Brake: Avid BB-5, 165mm Rotor
Rear Brake: Avid BB-5, 165mm Rotor
Brake Levers: Avid FR-5
Rims: Alex SX44, 32 Hole
Front Hub: 110x20mm Thru Axle, Sealed, 6 Bolt IS
Rear Hub: Shimano FH-M525, 6 Bolt IS
Spokes: 14G Black
Tyres: Maxxis Holy Roller, 26x2.3"
Saddle: Alienation Recliner Pivotal
Seatpost: Alienation Billy Club Pivotal
Pedals: Wellgo Mag Platform

Your opinion is needed!
Thanks!

Andrei

Chimp
May 15, 2009
It should arrive (stock) in a week or so and I'll post pics right away. I still don't know what crank (and lenght) and what ring size to buy. And the 9mm fork is another thing I'm a bit uncertain...

This is from NSMB:

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
If it were my bike (wish it was...sick frame and color!!!) I would probably stick w/ a 20mm axle, there really isn't that much weight difference. I also think adjustable travel would make the bike more versatile and you would be able to tweak the geometry to your liking.

If you are still going to be jumping and whatnot on the bike you may want to have a burly wheelset set up ss, and a light one with a few gears for 4x/slalom. if so then I would choose a road derailleur like a 105 or ultegra- they can usually be found cheap, and would be a lot lighter than a saint (no where near as durable though)
Also I really don't think you need great brakes on a bike of this type. I am running mechanicals on both my hardtails, and although i prefer maintenance and feel of hydros, the bb5's/7's that i use work perfectly fine once set up properly.

Andrei

Chimp
May 15, 2009
Well it is, but the price is not that friendly... 831 apparently stands for 831$.:dance:

A bit over kill with those saint cranks and brakes, but an awesome overall setup:
Vanderham's Faction

Polc's Faction

Last edited:

Andrei

Chimp
May 15, 2009
Any words on the 20mm Reba? That seems like a good weight/stiffness/price compromise. Not sure about trail using tho...

kemosabe83

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
new jersey
That bike does sound nice. Best thing to do, for full pimpage would be a fox 4X fork. Real stiff, and not as heavy as a 20mm thruaxle. If i had the money i'd get one for my dj.

officespaced

Chimp
Jul 11, 2008
CO
I'm still in the process of building mine right now. Some of the parts are spares that I had lying around. I'm planning on changing out the fork for a Fox 831 eventually. I still haven't decided what wheels to use. Weight is about 26.5 lbs. I don't have a scale shot though.

Forks: Marzocchi 4x, reduced to 80mm Travel
Cranks: Saint 170mm
Chainring: truvativ 36t
Chain: KMC x9sl
Cassette: dura ace 11-21
Stem: point one racing 50mm
Handlebars: Easton monkey light dh
Brake: Formula Bianco
Rotors: Ashima 160mm
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax xl
Tyres: Maxxis Crossmark lust 2.1
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Seatpost: Thomson elite
Pedals: Twenty6 prerunner

Attachments

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I'm still in the process of building mine right now. Some of the parts are spares that I had lying around. I'm planning on changing out the fork for a Fox 831 eventually. I still haven't decided what wheels to use. Weight is about 26.5 lbs. I don't have a scale shot though.

Forks: Marzocchi 4x, reduced to 80mm Travel
Cranks: Saint 170mm
Chainring: truvativ 36t
Chain: KMC x9sl
Cassette: dura ace 11-21
Stem: point one racing 50mm
Handlebars: Easton monkey light dh
Brake: Formula Bianco
Rotors: Ashima 160mm
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax xl
Tyres: Maxxis Crossmark lust 2.1
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Seatpost: Thomson elite
Pedals: Twenty6 prerunner
Wow, thats how its done. You said you haven't decided on the wheels, what's wrong with the Crossmax? FWIW Saint cranks seem a bit overkill but you will never bend em. Everything on that bike is top notch very nice build.

officespaced

Chimp
Jul 11, 2008
CO
I was going for lightweight build that wouldn't compromise durability. The saints feel really solid. I like the crossmax wheels but they are a spare pair of wheels for my all mtn bike. I was thinking about building up a set of stan's flow rims. This would also allow my to replace spokes much easier than the crossmax.

I haven't had much time to ride but the bike feels much better than my old specilized p.3. The bike accelerates pretty well for a steel bike.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dude dont touch that thing...it's perfect if it were my bike id pull off almost every graphic though...that was able to be pulled.

fork, wheels...but that is just taste...i like plain, there is quite a few logos on there clashing with the decent graphic job on that frame.