Quantcast

4x forks... are we not a big enough market?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I can understand as a person that actually makes their living at this that that is important to you. But as an amatuer/weekend warrior having a track that only the upper 5% (if that) can be competitive on sucks.
I got into DH as an aside to getting into DS. Back then I used the same bike for both though?
I never raced BMX growing up so in my late 20's/early 30's I didn't care to try to figure out gate starts and passing/blocking/sharking (if you ask me?!?). I was a natural at carving corners so even though the guy in the lane next to me could snap me out of the gate by the time we got to the finish line I was in contention.
Maybe this wasn't the kind of racing people wanted to watch but it was something people wanted to do.
I agree with you in part, the numbers are there, more riders currently will race Slalom then Mountaincross....personally i don't think it needs to be a replacement for Slalom, i think it would be fun to do both in a weekend.....but cost of doing 2 courses is crazy and that coupled with another entry and time for practice makes it not possible.

I actually like how the NMBS is doing a bit of both really as i love racing both.

That being said, something needs to be done to generate interest from outside dollars in our sport.....not because i make a living doing it, lets face it, if changes are made now i won't get to see the benefit as a racer.....IMO, this is the best vehicle to get outside $ in the door then show them the rest of what our sport has to offer.

I would hate to see us go back to Slalom completely, possibly cutting out a potential chance for us to bring back more $?

I do know this, the National we had at Fontana a couple of weeks ago was good, although it didn't have the biggest jumps the racing was awesome, I heard the announcer's stumbling to keep up with the lead changes in the am classes and the pro class was won from a last place start!

Last, you say as an am/weekend warrior Mountaincross doesn't interest you, there could also be an am/weekend warrior who takes a look at the sport, see's Slalom and says...man i don't want to waste my time and money to go ride down a grass hill with poles in it, i can do that at home.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
dood im a weekend warrior and love ds/4x. its head to head competition where your only goal is to smoke the dood next to you. 2 weekends ago i raced ds and beat my first guy got beat by my second then beat my third. After loosing a heat i was so pumped to win my next. Maybe im just an adrenaline junky but i def feel more pumped after racing ds/4x then dh

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I could write a big long boring post as I have done in the past, but these 'future' topics I cant muster up the energy anymore, but I will say this.

One of the most exciting and crowd cheering slaloms I have seen (there were so many) was Shanty Creek National. Poles stuck in the grass in front of the restaurant at the golf course...the place went off and maybe took 15 minutes to build it. Fans loved it, people cheered, was a good time.

Money, TV Coverage, etc is NOT about how 'cool' something is, its about who blows who at the espn/fuel/etc offices or who 'hooks' up Joe Corporates family with bikes at Espn/Fuel/etc.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Try and hunt out a pair of the old zocchi z1s. I can remember the name but they were a yellowy gold colour and had a 20mm axle. I rode a recently seviced pair not so long back and they are still awesome forks
My Z.1 Dual (actually a converted Mr. T) weighed about 5 pounds and wasn't terribly stiff by today's standards with its 30mm stantions and bolted everything. One of the coolest "collector's forks" ever, but nothing to compete with today's equipment.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I could write a big long boring post as I have done in the past, but these 'future' topics I cant muster up the energy anymore, but I will say this.

One of the most exciting and crowd cheering slaloms I have seen (there were so many) was Shanty Creek National. Poles stuck in the grass in front of the restaurant at the golf course...the place went off and maybe took 15 minutes to build it. Fans loved it, people cheered, was a good time.

Money, TV Coverage, etc is NOT about how 'cool' something is, its about who blows who at the espn/fuel/etc offices or who 'hooks' up Joe Corporates family with bikes at Espn/Fuel/etc.
Shanty creek was awesome racing i agree...still would never take us back to that level as far as a sport, if thats even possible?

Your right about the ability to get coverage....but you have to have a quality product as well, we are grouped in the same category as Supercross and freestyle MX as far as corporate $....

Stik you know i love those DS battle's, racing BL for championships when whoever won got the title are some of the biggest highlights of my career...win or lose, that pressure was awesome and much harder then Mountaincross to handle....you had to be flawless, you couldn't get a good start and cut the other guy off...which made for exciting tight racing.

To actually ad to the topic....I love my Revelations....Sun had wheel sets last year that were threaded so you didn't have the quick release deal and it was plenty stiff....not sure on the weight?

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
My Z.1 Dual (actually a converted Mr. T) weighed about 5 pounds and wasn't terribly stiff by today's standards with its 30mm stantions and bolted everything. One of the coolest "collector's forks" ever, but nothing to compete with today's equipment.
My local friend has one of these older Z.1 20mm with a long steerer. In awesome looking condition.. PM me if anyone want's it & i'll give you his info.. $125
Polished & orange i think.

I like a Pike Race for slalom,etc.