Quantcast

4X hubs?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I'm right now running a xt rear hub on my steel hardtail that I use for light dirt jumping, bmx track, and skate parks. I'm hoping to try to race 4x on it this next year. Anyways, the hub is converted to bolt on currently, and I like how it stiffens up the rear end. However, it's heavy and after only 2 months of riding it, the freehub body is starting to give me problems... Stupid... Any suggestions on what I should replace it with? I'd love to get a king, but I can't affort it. Any other suggestions that are somewhat light, strong, and could be converted to bolt on(not a major thing but would be really nice)? I guess I'm looking to not have to spend alot seeing as i'm shelling out a ton of money on a new dh rig. But if it's a good hub, then it could be worth it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I say leave it and ride it, and try to save weight other places. You're not going to get a much better hub unless you spend tons of money, and you say that's something you don't want to do.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'd say replace the freehub body first, it will be a lot less money than a new wheel. XT's are usually pretty solid but if you blow another body quickly, you'll know you need a burlier engagement mechanism. If that's the case and you can't spring for king, think hadley or maybe DT Swiss, but the good stuff ain't cheap.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I'm kind of liking the new Hope Pro II hubs. The front is convertible between QR, 20mm thru, and 24mm Maverick. The rear can be QR, 10mm, or 12mm thru axle and has 5 cartridge bearings and 24 points of engagement. You can also get a trials version for the rear that has 48 points of engagement, a stainless freehub body, and comes as a bolt on. If I remember correctly fronts weigh 180g and a standard rear is 285g or so and the prices aren't too bad. The Bulb might be a good choice too.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hadley or cheaper options might be Ringle or Hope. For 4X, I would want something with fast and strong engagement. Hadley is one of the best around for that.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Because the wheels cost a ton. I built up a DH race wheelset for around 400, less than half the price of I9s. I know they're sick, but he said money is an issue.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Why not Industry Nine
because I'm getting Industry Nine on my new Canfield and I cant afford a second pair... I would if I could though!

I say leave it and ride it, and try to save weight other places
Save weight other places? Oh, I forgot to mention I have a white carbon seatpost, a ti railed tioga McLite saddle, ti bolts for my diabolus stem(I'd replace it with a thomson but it's pretty much brand new), cane creek headset, ryno lite rims, 2.0 xc tires, 6" disc brake with ti mounting bolts. Ti bb. For having a 500+ gram rear hub, and a 6.5 pound custom steel dirt jumping frame It's super light at 29 pounds 10 ounces. It definatly pedals and rides like a super light bike mostly because of the light tires and rims. The frame is pretty heavy and I know I could easily save 2 pounds if I got a different frame, but I love my DeSalvo frame. It's the best frame I've ever ridden! I'm planning on relacing the front and rear wheels with butted spokes rather than the straight gauge spokes it has, as well as a new rear hub that doesn't skip on me and that is alot lighter.

pretty much most ppl on here will recommend Hadley hubs
Hadley's are nice, but I'm not completly sold on them. Who knows, I might cave and get one though. But then again I might cave and just get a indy 9 rear wheel.... Dang!