Quantcast

4x Race at Hornets Nest BMX

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
I know this is early but I am kind of excited. It has been kicked around before but I think we can make it happen for 07. I talked to the new shop owner of iRidecyles last night, Jake. He has talked to the track operator of the BMX track about including the BMX track in a series, if there is one next year. Well, while I was at the shop the track operator came in and we discussed it.

I think he is leaning towards making this happen. I want to find out what the interest would be and relay that back to him.

My thoughts are this.

1st- Random gate start
2nd- 4 classes, 17 under, 18-29. 30 over, and Pro
3rd- $25 entry, $5 one day membership. 100% payback to pros plus a couple hundo. Pay out top 4, should make for some good dough. Ams receiving great product.
4th- Running the 4x race during the NC State Finals.

If this sounds like a good idea let me know, if not, let me know. Any suggestions, let em out. Even if this is not included in a series I think it could still happen. If we can get this rolling maybe we can get the other tracks in the area to join in, like Gastonia, Hendersonville, and Weaverville.

Slolam/4x needs to pick back up in this area! We need Catawba back too!

Check out the track sites www.ncbmx.com, and www.wncbmx.org

Thanks Will Murray

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Sounds like a great idea. We have kicked around the idea of doing one at Morristown's outdoor track. But don't worry about making it part of a series. Just do it regardless. If I can make it, I'll be there.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I wouldn't sweat the random gate start. Especially with a hydraulically operated gate. I watched a whole gate get flipped on a random start in Snowshoe. I don't think anyone would complain about listening to the cadence.

Make sure the track director is good with a bunch of unlicensed riders racing at a sanctioned BMX race.

I like the idea, we'll hit it.

There is an ABA track in Carrolton , GA that has @ 90' elevation drop and no lipped up jumps. We've gone out there a few times and Jr. prefers riding it on the MTB instead of the 20" due to the incredible speeds on the berms. This track is alot of fun on a slalom bike.
The track director showed interest in having a
4X race but the track is not "convenient" enough for any of the slackers down here. Riders from ATL and the northside refuse to head south to ride no matter how good it is.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Sounds like a good idea. So long as they start letting MTB come to some practices?

Maybe a designated night?

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
It is an ABA track.
Sounds like a good idea. So long as they start letting MTB come to some practices?
Yes I know, this is one of the biggest gripes I have about this track. I have had arguments with Mark, the track director, on how stupid it is that he requires an ABA membership just to practice. Maybe we can work something out. I will talk to him about it.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
It is an ABA track.

Yes I know, this is one of the biggest gripes I have about this track. I have had arguments with Mark, the track director, on how stupid it is that he requires an ABA membership just to practice. Maybe we can work something out. I will talk to him about it.

THe track in Morristown is an NBL track and to my knowledge riders would have to purchase a full liscence to race. I am trying to find out how to do a 1-day liscense so that we can race on the track. Any info would be a big help.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Ben, NBL puckered up tight recently and only allows a single guest visit for practice. After that you are to be an NBL member.

Ironicly, I was super excited about having 2 BMX tracks, both NBL here in Asheville to keep me motivated and training/racing...but man, one the time change and weather changed my license has been useless. Short evenings and freeze/thaw make for no riding.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
It is an ABA track.

Just a suggestion... Maybe the issue is the ABA provides insurance coverage for the track owner (which to my knowledge is CharMeck isnt it?). Anyway, both the local IMBA/Sorba clubs have insurance that would cover "group rides."

Maybe work in conjunction with either PASA or THTB to have a "Group ride" night there. Then the riders would just have to be valid members of the club(s).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hornet's Nest isn't anywhere near us here Rob. Personally, I'd recommend just a $5.00 entry fee on top of the ABA license fee.
That way, the track owner gets a bigger ridership and licensee's who may return for more races in the future since they've already got a license.
Don't know about you guys but at Hendersonville and Waynesville BMX, once you've got your license, the race fee is like $5-7.00 is all.

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
I live in Huntersville. Hornets Nest is in Charlotte about 10 minutes away from me. I can get to Hendersonville in just over an hour.

Charmeck has nothing to do with the actual track. The track director has final say on anything that happens there. Trust me, I have argued with Mark, the track director, because of the fact that he wants to make people have a membership ($45) to practice. He says the ABA makes him for insurance. My argument is the fact that there are public mountain bike trails in the same park district that are free to ride? Anyway that is a whole nother topic..........

My theory on the $25 entry is to have a large payout.

The $5 for a one day membership is to cover insurance. No need for someone from eastern Tenn. to buy an ABA membership...........

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I live in Huntersville. Hornets Nest is in Charlotte about 10 minutes away from me. I can get to Hendersonville in just over an hour.

Charmeck has nothing to do with the actual track. The track director has final say on anything that happens there. Trust me, I have argued with Mark, the track director, because of the fact that he wants to make people have a membership ($45) to practice. He says the ABA makes him for insurance. My argument is the fact that there are public mountain bike trails in the same park district that are free to ride? Anyway that is a whole nother topic..........

My theory on the $25 entry is to have a large payout.

The $5 for a one day membership is to cover insurance. No need for someone from eastern Tenn. to buy an ABA membership...........
Well I doubt he keeps any or much of the "membership" fee to the ABL, so he might be down if we explain to him how he would be covered liability wise utilizing the mountain bike clubs. I mean really have a MTB night where he is covered and collect $5-10 for each rider? Sounds like a nice revenue stream for him.

I know how all the moving pieces work from past experience, but unfortunately I do not have the time to get that involved, but I could point you to the right people if you are so inclined.

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
I know how all the moving pieces work from past experience, but unfortunately I do not have the time to get that involved, but I could point you to the right people if you are so inclined.
I hear you, I wish it was easy. We can try anything, but I dont think it will fly. Ive been racing at Hornets Nest since 84. My father is a former track director. There is just a bunch of high noses and "this is my track" going on. And it does suck.

If anyone that runs PASA is reading this, please email me. Or please direct me in the right direction. Maybe we can talk to Mark and come up with a solution to get MTB's out at the track for practice. That would be a great start to getting a 4x race there.

William.murray@wachovia.com

I would post this on PASA but my account was locked from inactivity.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
If anyone that runs PASA is reading this, please email me. Or please direct me in the right direction. Maybe we can talk to Mark and come up with a solution to get MTB's out at the track for practice. That would be a great start to getting a 4x race there.

William.murray@wachovia.com

I would post this on PASA but my account was locked from inactivity.
Will, Please recreate your forum account on PASA. For a while I was not keeping up with all the spam accounts and our board got filled with spammers so I deleted a lot of zero post accounts. I keep up with it now so it won't happen to you again. As for the Hornets Nest thing I think it's a killer idea. One of us will hit you up today or the next....but you should still post this over on our forum because I think it would get a lot of positive reaction!

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Actually I just checked and your account was not deleted when I went account cleaning. It's still there it was just marked as inactive (as you said). This is pretty weird but anyhow I made your account active again. If you cannot remember your password just PM me over here and I'll reset it.

Just reviving this post to see if any progress has been made or if their is some way I can help? Sounds like a great idea if it will fly with the track director and I know the interest level would be high in Charlotte as i can think of several guys racing slalom who would be there. We may even get the "mountain folk" (you know who you are) to make the trip down:D

lukedogg

Chimp
Nov 24, 2005
Seems like the only barrier from the rider's perspective is the cost of a membership...I don't get that.

The BMX sanctioning bodies have the infrastructure in place right? You just pay the money, show up and race (voluteer work is always appreciated). No digging or grooming or promoting or making websites, etc. And all of the liability is on them. Piggy-back off of them.

I see on other threads in the South a "longing", if you will, of yesteryear and the days of having a state series. Here's a golden opportunity for a 4x series without the headaches. If you look at it that way, is 45 bucks a year (which includes a monthly magazine) so bad? Also, the dates are SOOO easy to schedule because they race every Fri, Sat, Sun for 9 months out of the year.

Promote the series. Keep record of the scores. Bring in some dough/schwag from sponsors and run with it.

The track wants the money but they'll provide a service. They don't care about some outside series meshing with theirs as long as they're paid. If mountain bikers show up at the track and race (pay) their own class/series the sanctions prosper and everyone is happy. Seems fair to me (I'm in no way imposing my opinion on the whole license/practice saga, Will :). Seems like everyone wins.

I want a big rack of racers in the gate that are my age!

Keep this thread going and bounce around more ideas, please.

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
Good points Luke, very well stated!

...speaking of 4x - rumor has it that you might be getting into it at some point :shocked: ?!...probably just a rumor - if it's true though, you may need to change your signature :D

Later
danW