Quantcast

5.10 sizing.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Finally hanging my old Fox shoes up, though they've served me well, and getting a pair of 5.10's.

I don't have access to any bike shops to try them on so I have no idea what size I need. I have pretty small foot (8.5's are fairly tight, 9.5's are comfortably loose), but proportionally they're fairly wide.

Do most people have a decent fit just ordering on the tighter side of their size?

Also are the soles stiffer than regular shoes? Part of the reason I want them is from the throbbing pain both feet experience after a full day of riding in tennis shoes. My feet seem to chronically hurt anyway so it'd be awesome if they helped that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
soles are stiffer, but not as stiff as clipless shoes. just about right for DH

based on the size Etnies I wear, 5.10's are about the same.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
I rode 11s in the Sam Hills for a couple seasons, I bought them lightly used off the net for dirt cheap.. They were abit too small to walk in but I toughed it out for a couple seasons.

Earlier this winter I got a pair of Karvers in size 12 and they fit spot on. I usually fit 12s across the board for any shoe.. Whether it be my Keen hikers/Trailrunning shoes or my more casual skate style shoe.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
All right so I should just go with what normally fits, thanks.

And I just realized I overestimated my foot size. The 9.5's are the women's nikes I wear :rofl:.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
They are fairly roomy in the toe box. They are certainly not a shoe that you need to buy large to get width.

The length is spot on with a Brannok device in US sizes.

They will provide a little more stiffness, and some cushion/isolation from pedal pressure, but the insoles are typical of most shoes (flat and thin).

If you have much arch, some sort of molded foot-beds could make all the difference (I like 'sole' foot-beds for this type of application).

If you want a number, go to any random big-box sporting goods store (or shoe store) and slap your foot in the Brannok. Your weighted measurement is what you want in 5.10s.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
true to size. I bought 10.5s in the original black impacts. They're still in good shape but i got nasty turf toe too often. I switched to an 11 in the mignar hi-tops and they fit very well. They're kind of poofy/overstuffed, but the fit gives me more room in the toes but not sloppy.

FWIW, I typically wear a size 10.5 street shoe and an 11 athletic shoe. I don't like a lot of slop in my footwear.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
2nd that. Plenty wide, but not super long per size. You may get turf toe if you don't keep them laced up tight.

I normally wear an 11 or 11.5 for width. 5.10 11 fits me just fine.

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Hey, not trying to hijack this thread but on the opposite side of this, which model would you recommend for a narrow foot? I was mostly looking at the Impacts and the Freeriders. Do either happen to fit narrow?

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Hey, not trying to hijack this thread but on the opposite side of this, which model would you recommend for a narrow foot? I was mostly looking at the Impacts and the Freeriders. Do either happen to fit narrow?

Ive found that the Freeriders fit a little narrower than the Hills/Karvers. They do however break-in relatively quick if you walk around with them.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
When I first started climbing, I wore super tight shoes, but when I got to the end of a route I found myself more focused on the pain of those damn shoes than the beauty of the movement. My shoes are still snug, and when I need a 'snugger' fit, I pull that velcro down hard! Great article, thank you.
Almost always climb with 5.10 Anasazi's - Gunks, Yosemite or Joshua Tree.
:rofl::rofl: riding not climbing

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
i wear 10s in just about every shoe i have, and my 510s are 10s too. I have somewhat narrow feet so I have to sinch up the laces a lot while the length of the shoe is spot on. seems like wider feet would be no problem in them.