Quantcast

5.10s are amazing

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Just came back from my second ride with my new 5.10 shoes and felt the need to praise them to all of you. The traction errrr stick/suction to the pedals is amazing. It's hard to explain, but your foot does stick to the pedal. Anyway, if you ride flats you must have a pair of these shoes.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow. I've been wanting some for a while and now I just need to get some. How much are they?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
They are about $90 I think. These have to be my next shoes. Right now I have 661 launch shoes. They are nice, but I wish they were a little softer.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
I can't decide whether I like them or not... (I know, I'm part of the minority.) Sure, the shoes work as advertised, but they also make it extremely difficult to reposition your foot. I find myself with my foot crooked on the pedal quite often, and to straighten it I have to conscientiously pick up my foot off the pedal and move it. With normal shoes I can just slide my foot over super easily. While there is an increase in traction, I'm not sure if it's worth it, at least for my riding style.

Also, the sole seems pretty thick. I like shoes that have a very short sole so I can get as close as possible to the pedal spindle.

I guess I'll have to spend more time on the shoes as everyone seems to love them except for me. But after a couple rides they seem overhyped, and overpriced.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I got mine for $75. Yeah, repositioning your foot is a bit harder. On the flip side though, it seems that repositioning your foot will be must less of an occurance.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
I love those shoes, I demoed them at IB this last year with my flats, better than clips! Plus they are comfy kicks just to wear.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
WheelieMan said:
I can't decide whether I like them or not... (I know, I'm part of the minority.) Sure, the shoes work as advertised, but they also make it extremely difficult to reposition your foot. I find myself with my foot crooked on the pedal quite often, and to straighten it I have to conscientiously pick up my foot off the pedal and move it. With normal shoes I can just slide my foot over super easily. While there is an increase in traction, I'm not sure if it's worth it, at least for my riding style.

Also, the sole seems pretty thick. I like shoes that have a very short sole so I can get as close as possible to the pedal spindle.

I guess I'll have to spend more time on the shoes as everyone seems to love them except for me. But after a couple rides they seem overhyped, and overpriced.
I agree with you. I have been wearing mine lately since my clipless shoes are to tight to be warm in the cold. They are driving my nuts. I am riding snowpacked DH trails and I am having trouble with my foot position. I spend more time trying to get my foot on the pedal correctly then I do anything else. I am not having much trouble with my foot being angled on the pedals it is more a case of the pedal being to far back on my foot under my heel.

Since I do not like cold toes I am just going to deal with it. I am still riding my bike a few days a week so it can't be that bad.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I called everywhere in SB and LA a while ago. Many climbing/outdoor stores can special order them (meaning you can't try it on for fit/size first). Velo Pro in SB now has them. At the factory store in Redlands,CA you can try them on.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
BigMike said:
Are there any online retailers that carry them?

How does the sole hold up? I ride on Azonic A Frames, and they TEAR UP some Vans!
Go-ride stocks them.

Sole holds up very well. Mine are worn out (plastic in heel cup is totally exposed) but the sole is okay. In any case, you can just get a new sole from 5-10 if it wears out.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
WheelieMan said:

I had the same feelings after my first few rides with mine, but now I love them and can't imagine riding without them. I was getting kind of frustrated with starting race runs with a crappy foot position and then struggling to get it right. Now I've got used to them and it's not big of a problem.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
5.10s are the best. Mike the best part is u can stab pedals into em all day and it doesn't do a thing to the bottom. I run xpedo mx3s with huge nasty pins and they dont rip the shoes up at all.

In terms of people complaining about repositioning your foot its not hard, don't take your foot off and when u plant it back on place it where u want it :p

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...say - does anyone know when they are going to come out with the "Sam Hill" or "Nathan Rennie" sig. models.

I'm curious as to what impovements they might add to these models to make them different from the current one.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
S.K.C. said:
...say - does anyone know when they are going to come out with the "Sam Hill" or "Nathan Rennie" sig. models.

I'm curious as to what impovements they might add to these models to make them different from the current one.
I don't think those are going to go into production. The only change I heard of to their custom one offs is colored stiching.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I got mine from go-ride.com. I had the original Intense shoes and they had just about fallen apart and then the 5-10's came out so I had to pick them up. They are actually nicer than the old Intense shoes. Nothing compares if you are riding flats!

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
I LOVE MY five tens..... I admit that there sorta hard to get used to(not being able to reposition your foot) But once you learn, its so much better. I couldent imagine riding without them!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
they wouldn't get hurt by pedals, but the will wear like super tacky tires on tarmac if used as casual wear.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
I love my 5.10's too. It took a short learning curve to get use to them. Still, every once in a while i get my foot on there wrong but it is not a big deal. you'll get the hang of it.

I'm looking for the Travis Barker edition to come out next year.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
WheelieMan said:

What type of pedals are you using? I have found that pedals with shorter pins are best--DX or 50/50s.

I love my Five-Tens; by far the best shoes for flat pedals. Before I started using Five-Tens, I would switch between flats and clips, now I don't see the point to run clips. Not to mention they are very comfortable...well worth the money.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
S.K.C. said:

Never. They just say HILL ont he back instead of five ten and have different color stitching thats all.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I am also a fan. My one complaint is that the heel area seems to be too "chunky". I've actualy caught it under the swingarm of my bike while riding.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
i think that the low tops are more easy to pedel(yes i have had riding time on both) Not just a parking lot test. I actually own the exact copy of intence shoes that were featured by a rider in the gary fisher catalog, a couple of years ago.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Rockland said:
I am also a fan. My one complaint is that the heel area seems to be too "chunky". I've actualy caught it under the swingarm of my bike while riding.
Coming from a person who spit part of their heel out of the side of their foot, a padded heel isnt a bad thing.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
1000-Oaks said:
Do you guys recommend the high-tops or the low-cut for DH?

Also, do the sizes run true?

I personally like the low tops just my opinion but i might have saved myself a few torn tendons had i had a pair of high tops on.

The sizes are perfect i wear a 10 in skate shoes and a 10 in 5.10s

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
1000-Oaks said:
Do you guys recommend the high-tops or the low-cut for DH?

Also, do the sizes run true?

I like the high-tops for a little extra ankle support and padding. The support is not as good as a brace but better than nothing. Sizing is pretty true, if anything they run slightly big in my experience.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Just got in from my third ride with them. I've gotten completely used to them now and it's nothing short of love. I'll never think of riding clipless again.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i love my five-10's they're as comfortable as skate shoes, i wear them around. they do get better about adjusting your foot on the pedel as you use them, ether you get better or they get less sticky. mine are getting chuncky from the pins after a full season.