Quantcast

5-6+ Aggressive Trail bikes?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Here's a stupid question?

What is the deference between the Trance and the Reign? They look a lot alike.
one inch.. ;)

actually they are quite similar. the Reign is longer, slacker and better suited for aggressive trails like Downeiville, etc.. not that the Trance X couldn't handle that, but the Trance shines on tighter true singletrack.

boogenman: the Pushed Lyrik is an early proto that I've been testing. one of the reason I wanted the 6" bike.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
one inch.. ;)

actually they are quite similar. the Reign is longer, slacker and better suited for aggressive trails like Downeiville, etc.. not that the Trance X couldn't handle that, but the Trance shines on tighter true singletrack.
I figured. You could have also said "About $400" :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
haha - it's a bit more than that unfortunately. if you want a Reign, you have to buy a complete bike since it doesn't come as a frame kit :rant:
I was using teh google and that was about the price difference I was looking at. Looks like an 08 Trance X2 could be had for about $1350, that's a lot of bike for that little coin.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I was using teh google and that was about the price difference I was looking at. Looks like an 08 Trance X2 could be had for about $1350, that's a lot of bike for that little coin.
yup...like I said, bang for the bucks they are hard to beat. As an added bonus, they are also stellar performers.

but then again what do I know - I don't really ride.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
yup...like I said, bang for the bucks they are hard to beat. As an added bonus, they are also stellar performers.

but then again what do I know - I don't really ride.
With a Fox fork, it is very tempting. I will have to go check them out for sure.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
boogenman: the Pushed Lyrik is an early proto that I've been testing. one of the reason I wanted the 6" bike.
Care to elaborate more?

Any chance you know when Darren is going to be beginning work on the Boxxer? I am going to be out there in a month and I would love to be able to drop it off and pick it back up a week later.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have...

Fox Float RLC 140mm fork
XTR cranks and front derailleur
XO shifters and rear derailleur
Sram 991 hollow pin chain
Eggbeater Ti pedals
Syntace stem and carbon post
Hope Pro Mini brakes (awesome! 100gms lighter per end than Juicy Ultimates!)
matching Hope skewers and seat clamp
Truvativ carbon bars
I9's- currently running UST Maxxis Ignitors

I've been through the saddle gamut as well. Started with a WTB Devo- that didn't work out. Went with the Yeti saddle, ran that for about 6 months, now I'm back to old faithful- a WTB Rocket.
Very nice indeed. I am a SRAM girl (usually) but I am going to give the full XTR set-up a try and see how it goes. I'm looking at running the UST Kenda Blue Grooves too. I have them on my HT and like them.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Very nice indeed. I am a SRAM girl (usually) but I am going to give the full XTR set-up a try and see how it goes. I'm looking at running the UST Kenda Blue Grooves too. I have them on my HT and like them.
T - go with the XT's and save your $$$ for other stuff. The XT outboard bearing cranks are great and aren't much heavier.

And, if you are going to go UST, Mavic 823's with Hope Pro 2's FTW.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
T - go with the XT's and save your $$$ for other stuff. The XT outboard bearing cranks are great and aren't much heavier.

And, if you are going to go UST, Mavic 823's with Hope Pro 2's FTW.
I actually bought the whole bike (minus wheels). Why would you think the 823s? I do ride hard, but I don't think I need that tough a rim. I've had great luck with my 819s and my CrossTrails.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Cannondale Moto. 160mm, sub 30#, lifetime warranty, and testers have reported that it is one of the best pedaling "big mountain" bikes.

Unfortunately unlike most of the other Cannondale bikes the carbon Moto frames are not made in the USA. The rear triangles are and they are assembled here but the complicated carbon forming process is done in Taiwan. The alum frames are welded in PA but they will be over 30#.

If 5" is all you need then the Cannondale Rize is also an option. 130mm, sub 26#, lifetime warranty, and even the carbon frames are made in the US.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I actually bought the whole bike (minus wheels). Why would you think the 823s? I do ride hard, but I don't think I need that tough a rim. I've had great luck with my 819s and my CrossTrails.
You can go with the 819's if you want to save a couple hundred grams. I like the 823's because they are less likely to flatspot, and I can switch wheelsets with my other bikes when necessary.

Evil Sylvain

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Montreal, QC, Canada
What all is out there?
I'm looking a 5" to ~6" travel aggressive trail bikes that can:
-take a triple ring
-5/6 inch fork
-pedals well
-can build up around 30#
-take a full length seat post
-has a warranty (see IH)
-relatively slack angles

Intense has a bunch of bikes in that travel range. Yeti has the 5.75. Santa Cruz has the Heckler and Nomad...
What else is there?
Knolly Endorphin.
http://knollybikes.com/bikes/endorphin

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I finally had a chance to get out on some of the bikes listed above.

The heckler was stiff laterally, but to get the suspension to be active, the pedal feedback was attrocious. Definately out.

The Blur LT2 was way too steep and felt too noodly underneath me. It felt like it wanted to snap when I pushed it through corners. Very flimsy feeling.

The Nomad actually felt really nice. I rode a Large, which is a size too small, but it felt really good. I would say this has been the closest to the all mountain, aggressive riding bike I am looking for. One thing I did not like though was that when the suspension was loaded coming out of a corner, if I went to pedal the chain had inches of slack, almost half a pedal stroke. Really takes the explosive pop out...

With the Reign 0, I ended up riding a Med,which is way too small, but I was still able to get a good feel for the suspension. It felt a bit bobby, I was quite surprised by that. I need to find an XL to pedal around, because it just did not feel as good as I had expected. The sales guy I spoke with, who was quite knowledgable, said he has seen that from bgger guys. Small guys love the suspension, but when people crack the 200# mark they complain about it being bobby. I will need to re-asess this frame.

I have a Yeti demo on 3/21, so I'll get out on a new 575 then.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just for ****s and giggles - see if you can test ride a Marin Wolf Ridge - the version that has the maxle front and rear.

Did a 10ft at REI, then promptly got off and gave the guy the bike back. Not a fan.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
With the Reign 0, I ended up riding a Med,which is way too small, but I was still able to get a good feel for the suspension. It felt a bit bobby, I was quite surprised by that. I need to find an XL to pedal around, because it just did not feel as good as I had expected. The sales guy I spoke with, who was quite knowledgable, said he has seen that from bgger guys. Small guys love the suspension, but when people crack the 200# mark they complain about it being bobby. I will need to re-asess this frame.
I have a Trance X and don't notice any pedal bob @225-230 lbs w/gear. I wonder if the shock may have a different valving for the smaller frames.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I ride the Transition Covert
weighs 31 # built up as below.
The fork is a talas and is just cranked down to 4" but goes to 6".

Bike has 5.5" rear travel

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What didn't you like?
Angles and lengths. I have a very particular feel that I am looking for, and the Nomad has been the closest yet. That being said, when I ride my buddy's 575 with a 5" fork, I really like the feel; it;s just a bit to steep ~1*...

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
How did the angles on the heckler feel? What shock was on it, and did it have the appropriate spring?

Angles and lengths. I have a very particular feel that I am looking for, and the Nomad has been the closest yet. That being said, when I ride my buddy's 575 with a 5" fork, I really like the feel; it;s just a bit to steep ~1*...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How did the angles on the heckler feel? What shock was on it, and did it have the appropriate spring?
Angles were okay; a bit too steep though. A 6" fork would have helped, but the rear suspension was too stiff when setup to pedal. The shock was a DHX Air, sprung correctly. Manualling the Nomad felt much more natural and stable compared to the Heckler as well.
Fit-wise, the Nomad is much closer for an aggressive trail bike. Probably because it's designed as such with a bit of flavor towards DH.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just got back from a Yeti Dirt Demo in Marin. Rode a new 575, size XL.
My search is over. All it needs is ~.5* slacker head angle, which can be cured by the 6" fork I intend to ride it with.
Slack, short chainstays, stiff laterally. Wow, just wow.
Now I need to find one in my price range...

Evil Sylvain

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Montreal, QC, Canada
Just got back from a Yeti Dirt Demo in Marin. Rode a new 575, size XL.
My search is over. All it needs is ~.5* slacker head angle, which can be cured by the 6" fork I intend to ride it with.
Slack, short chainstays, stiff laterally. Wow, just wow.
Now I need to find one in my price range...
I have the old version of the 575. As much as I love the bike I would not say it's still laterally. Did you try a carbon rear one?

Get a 2009 if you can. From what I have read Fox have tweaked the 2009 RP23 shock for mid-stroke if you go that route.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Too short. I'm 6'4"l
Hey I'm 6'3" and that Large Covert has been a good bike. I just rode it for a week in Moab and it went much better than I was expecting. I was able to push the limits of the bike and myself. I didn't think the bike would hold up, but it did! It was awesome. The paint hasn't been holding up very well though.