Quantcast

5 resorts in 5 days on the east coast

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
so, stiff and i just returned on monday night (8/15/06) from a little east coast resort DH/FR mini-tour. here is a summary with a few (non-riding) pictures describing the trip.

- 5 days and 5 resorts
- about 30 total hours of driving
- about 10,000 feet of descending each day

day one: wednesday night - thursday night
stiff and i left DC wednesday night and headed off to york, PA to meet up with his friend and eat some ribs (at the texas roadhouse) and crash. we left early the next morning to arrive at diablo freeride park in vernon, nj to ride most of the day. we left around 4pm after some strong thunderstorms closed the lift to head up to saratoga springs, NY to crash at a friend's place, drink some beer on their front porch and have very good pizza (with eggplant & riccotta cheese).

day two: friday
we get up early to head off to whiteface mountain which is a big mountain with long descents. it was the biggest mountain i've ever ridden, but a bit of disappointment since it has a relatively new biking program and the trails were confusing to find and not very flowy. it was still a good place to ride with nice views. we got food and beer at the hungry trout to make our plans for our next destination which we decided would be quebec. against the advice of a local drunk, we headed for the border where we got through without any issue and pirate camped (slept in the the back of the van) at some camp site near bromont.

day three: saturday
we got breakfast at a diner-like place (complete with a side of lard for my toast) and are the first ones to arrive at bromont . for a "pimple" of a mountain, we believe the place is currently the "whistler of the east". the trails were AMAZING and there was lots of variety with a very fast lift. we rode until about 5:45pm and used the extra $5 we paid to access the waterpark and got cleaned up and hit up a few slides. fun, fast, technical trails with really well built stunts spread throughout. i will definitely be returning to bromont for riding. as much fun as it was, we made the decision (regretfully, we should have stayed for another day) to go for our lofty goal of 5 resorts in 5 days and left quebec after getting food and beer at a local microbrewery. back to saratoga springs, ny...

day four: sunday
we get up early to have some brunch with our hosts in old town saratoga springs. we say our goodbyes and head off to plattekill for a 1/2 day of riding. the trails were fun to ride and the terrain was steep with lots of loose shale rock. we ended up enjoying the current race course the most because there was a long smooth flowy section that was just what our bodies needed after 3 days of riding. we got some pizza at a local dive and made a trek back to vernon, nj which was the resort we started with. we parked at an appalachian trail head and slept it the van.

day five: monday
breakfast at our favorite local diner (the mixing bowl) and then arrive at diablo way too early (we thought they opened at 9am and not 11am). stiff did a little work and i did some bike maintenance. rode diablo from 11am - 4pm hitting just about every single trail on the mountain before our bodies were completely wrecked and useless. packed up the van for one last time and headed home. we arrived back in DC at around 10pm right as the driving timer on the van clicked to 29:54.

we didn't take any time to snap pictures of riding. i only took about 10 pictures the whole trip. i guess my hands were too tired from braking to grab a camera and we were always on the go! here are a few random shots:

arriving at whiteface mountain:

the unreadable whiteface trail map:

double rainbows spotted as we wait in line to cross the border into canada:

the very useful bromont trail map:

the confusing plattekill trail map:

the soccer mom van (2 bikes on rear trunk and 2 bikes plus gear loaded in the back to save gas):

recap
i feel like i've been lifting weights non-stop with every muscle in my body for the last five days. it feels great to be this exhausted. there was no real carnage from the trip and very minimal bike maintenance and damage. well, i did discover at whiteface that i had managed to bend the bottom shock mount on my big bike, so i just rode the heckler the rest of the trip. the heckler has to be the best and most versatile frame i've ever owned.

diablo
diablo is rocky and gnarly with fun and well built stunts. the gongola is super fast and the mountain drains very well. your body can certainly take a big pounding lapping it out here with the possibility of riding a constant rock garden down the mountain depending on your routing. one of our favorite runs were bmw to stigmata to dom's denial to the deck drop.

whiteface
whiteface has a LOT of potential. it definitely felt like an up and coming bike program. our biggest problem was with the crappy copy of a trail map we were given that just made it nearly impossible to find the trails. there are also a lot of off shoot trails with out a direction once one of them comes to an end. all in all, the trails could have been a lot more flowy in some sections but it was nice to get a 20-30 minute descent. there is another lift (closed for summer) that goes to the very top of the mountain with lots of open "whiteface" rock that we really thought made the mountain unique and wanted to check our for possible trail use. hopefully, they can scout that out and expand the bike trail access in the future.

bromont
go to bromont! very well designed trails and it was also cheap! the lift was $29 canadian dollars for a day and for an extra $5, you get full access to the awesome waterpark (season pass is $113-$148 depending on when you buy it and $182 for both waterpark and bike season pass). the mountain isn't very big, but they have lots of variety on the trails, well built stunts, and a bike park with some good progression drops, jumps, and a wall ride. the map was easy to follow and the trails were well marked.

plattekill
we had the most fun riding the new DH course for this weekend since we were pretty worn out from riding and driving non-stop. our biggest complaints were the trail map, the ever intersecting trails, and slooooowww lift. otherwise, i didn't get a fair assessment since we only got to hit it up for about 6 runs after a late start. lots of trails with gnarly steeps, drops, and shifting shale.

mrmackey

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
Went to Diablo on Sunday,not crowded and the trails were nice and dry!I asked this on another thread but has anyone been to Snowshoe ?If so how does it compare to Diablo or Highlands?

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
mrmackey said:
Went to Diablo on Sunday,not crowded and the trails were nice and dry!I asked this on another thread but has anyone been to Snowshoe ?If so how does it compare to Diablo or Highlands?

Check out the "virginia and surrounding areas" or "the south" forum

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
mrmackey said:
I asked this on another thread but has anyone been to Snowshoe ?
Never been to diablo or highlands to compare, but many people who have ridden them all say SS is the best. As mentioned, it'd be a good idea to ask in the VA forum.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
sorry... i made an "html" mistake in my original report with a / instead of a] so it's fixed now... day four now exists and is not just a figment of my imagination...

the trip was crazy fun, but a lot of driving, riding, beer drinking, and pirate camping for one trip...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Nice!
I think this is going to be the path I follow mid season next year.

Damn being broke sucks.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
in response to the snowshoe question i dont think you could find better east coast riding right now...the whole mountain is filled with incredibly fun stuff...

One side is all fast and technical dh runs and the other is a techy bike park...I'm heading there tomorrow for the second weekend in a row...

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
it was just too far of a drive to go from plattekill down to snowshoe on our last day. i almost thought about extending my end of the trip an extra day by heading out to snowshoe for a day trip on tuesday, but i was pretty sore and tired. i thought that would have really brought the trip full circle.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Jim Mac said:
Agreed!

Nice report!
thanks! there's a chance i might make a trip up to bromont again this year and i'll take some pictures next time. it's tough to stop on a trail and take shots though when your having so much fun :)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
whale said:
thanks! there's a chance i might make a trip up to bromont again this year and i'll take some pictures next time. it's tough to stop on a trail and take shots though when your having so much fun :)
Any idea how late their open in the season? Looks like Oct. 22 maybe? I'm going to be up that way (for MonkeyFest Pt.2) Sept. 29 - Oct. 2nd, and might take a day trip up to ride.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
McGRP01 said:
Any idea how late their open in the season? Looks like Oct. 22 maybe? I'm going to be up that way (for MonkeyFest Pt.2) Sept. 29 - Oct. 2nd, and might take a day trip up to ride.
yeah, according to the schedule... they are open from 10am-5pm from September 2 to October 22, but only on weekends and holidays.

bromont schedule

it was in the mid-60s while we were up there which was perfect for riding, but cold for the waterpark (although it was pretty busy). make sure you hit up the microbrewery right down the street (can't remember the name) but they brewed an excellent scotch ale.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
Thank you for that great write up. I'm a little sad though...I'm hitting Whiteface on Sunday and with your review plus the weather report I hope I have some fun. :confused:

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
SuperKat said:
Thank you for that great write up. I'm a little sad though...I'm hitting Whiteface on Sunday and with your review plus the weather report I hope I have some fun. :confused:
no worries. it's a good place with like i said, a LOT of potential. i really enjoyed the long descents, but it can be confusing to route things together with the not so good signage and the copy of the trail map we were given. i'm sure you'll have more fun if you plan a little more ahead (like print out the trail map in color) and hook up with some local riders.

it's a beautiful mountain with a lot of potential... take a look at the open rock (looks like 5 main, super steep rocky lines) from the lift that goes to the true top of the mountain. i hope that gets opened up for future riding. they were also working on the 5k race course which looks like it will have an interesting routing right under the lift that would be fun to ride if they are finished building it.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
TreeSaw said:
Great write-up! We live & ride in Saratoga Springs...wish we'd have known you were coming as we could've taken you out for an XC/FR at our local trails.
i'll have to hit you up when i'm up there again because my GF's family lives in queensbury (20 minutes north of saratoga springs on 87) and i go up there a few times a year to visit... i'd like to bring a bike sometime to ride.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
skatetokil said:
How so? I'm probably only going to have time for one, so any insight is appreciated.
plattekill offers lots of steep loose shale type of trails with some occasional stunts and lots of rock drops. there are whole bunch of trails out there, but the lift is painfully slow. there's a crazy MTX course out there too that we ran into exploring the older side. i actually had some brake fade a few times because of the sustained steep on some of the trails routings and it's quite different gliding down shale on the steeps. (think of the "homo" trail at the shed with flat shale type of rock instead of the round rock and that's pretty close to what you can expect at plattekill.)

whiteface only has a few major trails, but you get in some really LONG (20-30 minute) descents which is an experience i've never had before. i can't remember the one routing we did, but it was a lot of fun with some technical, rocky switchbacks under plush evergreens. there are a few stunts built, but they are a pain to get to and find. there's is also a little jump park at the bottom as well that has some small tabletops and a wall ride. the gondola is very efficient and they might have extra trails open for the 5k race in a few weeks. you would probably have a lot of fun riding your AC at whiteface.

hope this helps you out.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
whale said:
i'll have to hit you up when i'm up there again because my GF's family lives in queensbury (20 minutes north of saratoga springs on 87) and i go up there a few times a year to visit... i'd like to bring a bike sometime to ride.
Definately contact Treesaw and/or myself next time you're up this way. I live in Glens Falls, about 1/8 of a mile from Queensbury.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
skatetokil said:
How so? I'm probably only going to have time for one, so any insight is appreciated.
Plattekill is shale and that means moving ground while you're riding. There are lots of BIG drops, jumps etc. too and it's quite technical. Whiteface has longer runs and (imho) more flow. The top trails are quite technical and steep while the lower trails are SO much fun and have a great deal of flow mixed with technical aspects (rockgardens, etc.). Whiteface has been building a lot too so there are new bridges, teeters etc. too.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
whale said:
Definitely! We're always happy to host a fellow RM member :thumb: