Quantcast

50 Best Beers (as rated by GQ)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
A surprisingly good list for a non-beer publication.

I count 21 that I have tried. The Pretty Things Jack D'Or and Pliny the Elder are my personal favorites from the list.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Couple of good beers in that list..... but Bud???????
The author is either stupid or is trolling.
I'm sure it's cuz they spend $$$$ in advertising in the rag. Kinda like how Mountain Bike Action always rates Specialized at the top in their bike tests.

I'm sure you can see past it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
A surprisingly good list for a non-beer publication.

I count 21 that I have tried. The Pretty Things Jack D'Or and Pliny the Elder are my personal favorites from the list.
i had a Jack D'Or on tap @ Lord Hobo a couple of weeks ago. good stuff. i think i have had 26 or so of the beers listed. did the all the images show up for people? in the middle a lot of what looked like european beers didn't show for me.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
the very first one that pops up... Allagash White. Liz and I ALWAYS have a case of that on hand.
That's one of the wife's favorites. Go up to Maine and it's on tap everywhere.

i had a Jack D'Or on tap @ Lord Hobo a couple of weeks ago. good stuff. i think i have had 26 or so of the beers listed. did the all the images show up for people? in the middle a lot of what looked like european beers didn't show for me.
I see them all, and my work web blocker is pretty aggressive.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
-Anchor Steam: Meh. Fine, not awesome. Nothing very exciting.
-Dale's Pale: Pretty good, awesome for something out of a can.
-Rogue Dead Guy: Not a fan really.
-Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout: Tasty. Recommended.
-Smuttynose Barleywine: Win.
-Stone RIS: More win.
-Stone Old Guardian: Still win.
-Speedway Stout: FVCKING AWESOME.
-Hop Rod Rye: Tasty. Not that exciting, but pretty good.
-DFH 120: Interesting, and worth a try. A little over the top for something to drink regularly.
-Port Shark Attack: Mediocre.
-Magic Hat #9: No thanks.

Those are my thoughts for the ones I've tried. I ignored some of the crap at the end, ie Bud and Tecate.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I gotta agree with you on that one, man. Oskar Blues is really doing some fantastic work. Their Scottish Ale is one of my absolute favorites.
Damn right. Whenever I pick up a six pack of Dale's Pale Ale, I always get this odd look from the liquor store clerks wondering why an IPA comes in a can, and why it's relatively pricey. So damn good though! :cheers:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
They had a few Stone brews on there, but didn't see Ruination IPA, which is surprising to me. Unless of course I just missed it. Man that stuff is good.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
i see that N8 still forgets that there is a forum designed specifically for these sorts of posts...

Less traffic in that forum.

My number is so low I wil not post it, but it's not 0. Instead I wil head out to my local Bev Mo and get some of these beers and start drinking!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Pretty good list for a major publication. Kind of what you would expect to see with mostly well known mirobrews/imports.

For all the hop flogging that we see with IPA's I'm a bit surprised not to see Mikkeller 1000 IBU on the list.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I've had about half the beers on the list... and imo, it seemed like the list tends more towards the "fashionable" beers rather than the really good beers.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I finally found their 4-packs (my local beer store only has the 6ers), and they were quite pricy ($12-13/4-pack?). Is that the going rate for these? Most uber-special seasonal 4-packs are usually around the $9-10 here.
I regularly find Dale's, Yella Pils, and Old Chub here (North Seattle) for about $7-9 (depends on how yuppy an area I'm shopping....) a sixer. I have to go to a specialty beer only store to find TenFidy and Gubna and those are around 1.50 - 2 per can.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Pretty good list for a major publication. Kind of what you would expect to see with mostly well known mirobrews/imports.

For all the hop flogging that we see with IPA's I'm a bit surprised not to see Mikkeller 1000 IBU on the list.
Actually, the title of the article is 50 Beers to Try Right Now not The Top 50 Beers Ever.

My bad on the thread title.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Can someone explain to me why a beer costs so much?

12 bucks for 4 bottles?

12 bucks or more for ONE 22 ounce bottle?

I refuse to pay that. I'd rather buy raw ingrediants and brew my own....