Quantcast

50mm light stem choices

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
having a surprising amount of trouble finding a light 50mm stem to go on my all mountain bike tht isnt too expensive. Any suggestions would be great but im looking for somthng under 200g, in 1 1/8 - 31.8 size and preferably in black although i was looking at the sunline v1 allmountain which is grey(anybody got any experience?) but thats realy above what id like to pay.

cheers in advance for sugestions.

Adam

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
yea thats cheep, seriously try reading it.

im looking for a stem that will come out cheeper than an easton havoc, thats a bit more specific yea. cant say a number cos' im from the uk and even though i know the exchange rate, im pretty sure bike parts are cheeper in the us so it wouldnt work out.

Jun 17, 2007
I use a Thomson x4 50mm on my enduro. Such a sweet stem! I would not ride anything else.....perfect blend of strength, lightweight and good clean looks. Go to there website and check out the gallery.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
i did read it. you didn't say where the line for cheap was. you are also lazy

chainreaction has them on sale 20% off for 60BP. you are welcome.http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8570
um, no im not, ive already looked through the main uk sites how is 60GBP "not expensive"

i was thinking more around 40gbp

not buying used, firstly i need it whaen the bike comes in a week and secondly i just dont trust it.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
thanks for the suggestions

but, no thompsons.
60gbp is the cheepest you can get them for.

anybody got any experience with the sunline v1 all mountain, it seems real light but being an all mountain stem will it be flexy compared to the slightley hevier easton havoc(same price)?

roach666

Chimp
Aug 15, 2007
Try a Race Face

BUILT FOR: AM
SIZE: 50, 70, 90, 110mm
RISE: 8 degrees
BAR DIAMETER: 31.8mm
WEIGHT: 185 grams (110mm)
COLOURS: Black New for 2007, the Evolve AM stem is designed specifically for all mountain riding. The Evolve AM stem is light enough for cross country use but also able to withstand light freeriding, providing versatility at a truly affordable price

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
honestly, if you're looking to save a couple of grams in a stem (where you'll feel it the least), don't complain about having to spend a little more money. cold forging ain't cheap, 7050 ain't cheap, CNC ain't cheap.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Sunline V-One. I love mine. Light, incredibly strong and elegantly machined. Downright pretty in that bluish-gray too. I've run mine all season with no compaints. Worth a little extra to get the best.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
Sunline V-One. I love mine. Light, incredibly strong and elegantly machined. Downright pretty in that bluish-gray too. I've run mine all season with no compaints. Worth a little extra to get the best.
is that the v1 all mountain or v1 dh?

honestly, if you're looking to save a couple of grams in a stem (where you'll feel it the least), don't complain about having to spend a little more money. cold forging ain't cheap, 7050 ain't cheap, CNC ain't cheap
As an all mountain trail bike im atually not trying to save weight im just trying not to put it on, i know I wont feel it but i dont want to needlessly add weight. there are some cheeper ones £40 isnt un reasonable, but, i have no idea it there gona be real flexy. the problem is that there realy arnt many short stems that are made for all mountain riding despite the fact that allot of people run 50mm stems on trail bikes. Truvative do the hozfeller which is 190g but its just too short at 40mm and I could buy two of them for the price of one thompson and still have a tenner left over. so surely somone could make one to a similar weight in a 50mm for cheep.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
wow, the all mountain v1 looks nice. lighter and cheaper than the thomson. i had no idea.

i say pull the trigger on that, unless anyone has something horrible to say about flex or breakage.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
honestly don't cheep out on a stem, it's not a part you want to fail. find the extra cash and get the Thomson.
How many broken stems have you seen? I agree that you don't want to have a stem break but I don't think you've got to spend $70 for a stem that will not break, especially for AM use.

Titec used to have a couple of budget stems, it seems like the cheapest ones only came as short as 70mm though. Personally I'd just go to a LBS and get whatever they have, but I'm not really a brand whore like some people think I should be.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
is that the v1 all mountain or v1 dh?
Mine is the DH; but the all-mountain would be the better choice for your use. I can't say enough good things about Sunline; it's so exciting that they've extended over into MTBs this year. I'm running an entire Sunline cockpit and have found everything to be top-notch.