Quantcast

521, Stans, and Michys revisited

duff-man

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fresno, Ca.
I recently ditched my 321/stans setup in favor of 521s and stans after I cracked my rear 321 at the weld. The 321s were extremely simple to setup with stans but I had heard some horror stories about doing the same with the 521s. So upon the arrival of the 521 stans rim strips I gave it a shot.

My first attempt resulted in the tire airing up right away but air leaked badly from inbetween the bead and the rim. So I took the tire off the rim, spread out the rim strip and tried again only to have the same thing happen. Upon further inspection, I noticed that while putting on the tire it had dislodged the rim strip from the desired location. So this time I left the tire on the rim and used a plastic tire lever to push the rim strip into place, aired it up with no problems!

I used 1 layer of velox rim tape and no baby powder or soap on the rim strip. The tires I mounted were michy 2.5 24.1 comp front and on the rear a 2.2 comp 24.1 lite. All in all, mouniting the 521 stans combo was almost as easy as the 321s.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
I also will be running the 521/EX721 setup tubeless. I've heard that you have to use narrower strips with the 521's?

I was hoping to recycle the strips from last year that I ran on my Atomic DHR's...

duff-man

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fresno, Ca.
Originally posted by Acadian
Good to know...thanks for sharing your experience with us. I have that same exact kit at home. As soon as my rear tires wears out, I will be also be using Stan's with my rear 521.
No problem, I think the most important thing to do is to get the rim strip into place as best you can then place the tire on the rim and then fine tune the rim strip placement so it doesn't move around when messing with the tire.

Also you may need to wrestle with the area around the valve stem to get the rim strip under the bead lock properly.

duff-man

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fresno, Ca.
Originally posted by kidwoo
This HAS to be a michelin thing. I tried this two days ago with a WTB tire and and Maxxis tire and neither were tight enough.

I need to get on the program
If you are having a hard time getting the tire to seat, you might want to try removing the valve core and giving it a burst of air with an air compressor. I had to do this to mount my 2.2 michy on a 321 rim, there was just to much room for the air to escape and not enough air getting in quickly enough. Removing the valve core made it easy.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That comp 24 light is not a tubeless tire like the rest of the Michelin DH tires. That might be why it would be harder to inflate.
If it works with Stans that is sweet, because you can run high pressures in that tire and it still hooks up.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Yanick
that's good to know, I'have never been able to make my own HOMEMADE setup work properly :(
had the opposite experience with my getto setup, 521s and Comp32s, it seated alot easier than the 321s which were a bit problematic at first. I used a 20" tube btw.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I got my 521 Stan strips and was reading the instructions. I ordered the strips with Presta valves...do I still have to drill out the valve stem hole on the rim?
Nope, thats only for the schrader valve, but also doesn't apply to 521's since you can remove the gromet to go from presta to schrader.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I just crawled out under a rock.

Why go Stans ? For weight ? Less/No Flats ?

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I have the new 521 strips and have given it a go twice with frustrated results. First time I tried the Michelin 24.1 Lite and could not get it to air up even with the ratchet strapping technique. Gave up after a couple of hours. Tried it a week later with a Maxxis Minion 2.5 DH Rear, again absolutely no luck. BTW I have the required Velox rim strip on now as well.

On the flip side I've installed Stans on a 321 and a Rhyno Lite XL with absolutely no issues whatsoever. The 321 was ridiculously easy. Of course the tires where Michelin DH tires which are tubeless.

I guess I have to try a real tubeless tire on the 521 with Stans, if that doesn't work I give up.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
I've been fighting my WTB Laser Disc DH's and High Rollers for a week now. I mounted the strips and tires and they aired up with my floor pump! Sweet right? Not quite...

With different combinations of Stan's goo, slime, and latex mold builder, I've finally got the tires holding air for extended periods of time. Initially, they would blow up well and would then lose air after a couple of hours.

I think the planets have to be in allignment for my system to work well.:rolleyes:

KL

Chimp
Feb 2, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Originally posted by DH Dad
I guess I have to try a real tubeless tire on the 521 with Stans, if that doesn't work I give up.
I have given up for now...521s with Stan's here as well.

I have tried

-Kenda 2.6 Kinetics
-WTB Motoraptors
-Gazz 2.6

To date, only the WTBs aired up and held air for extended periods of time.

I just think the Stan's system is WAAAYYY too tire dependant. It is frustrating to work several hours for no results.

Kevin

duff-man

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fresno, Ca.
Originally posted by DH Dad
I have the new 521 strips and have given it a go twice with frustrated results. First time I tried the Michelin 24.1 Lite and could not get it to air up even with the ratchet strapping technique. Gave up after a couple of hours. Tried it a week later with a Maxxis Minion 2.5 DH Rear, again absolutely no luck. BTW I have the required Velox rim strip on now as well.

On the flip side I've installed Stans on a 321 and a Rhyno Lite XL with absolutely no issues whatsoever. The 321 was ridiculously easy. Of course the tires where Michelin DH tires which are tubeless.

Did you try mounting the tire and then carefully pushing the rim strip under the bead lock? This is how I did my 24.1 lite and it aired up right away! It took a little time to make sure both sides of the strip were in the correct spot but it has worked flawlessly since I aired them up.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
I hold a very unnatural anger towards the 823 rims for not holding up.
I still have my front one, and last night I put a Comp 16 on it with my hands, used a small amount of soap and then it inflated with my weak, 10 year old, one side of the handle broke off, floor pump.
If they just make them stronger for next year, I would be stoked.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by Jeremy R
and then it inflated with my weak, 10 year old, one side of the handle broke off, floor pump.
That pump makes me laugh. :oink: Dude you need to get Topeak or Blackburn to sponser SEI next year. :p

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Originally posted by profro
That pump makes me laugh. :oink: Dude you need to get Topeak or Blackburn to sponser SEI next year. :p
No, it is kind of famous.
I won't replace things that people make fun of me for.
I think it is great. I was trying to be the last human being on the face of the earth without a cell phone, but my wife had had enough and just bought me one this week. Something about not wanting me drive 10 hours to NJ this weekend without one.
But anyway, the pump lives on!!
I let this dude at ETSU use it, and after he tried a couple of times, he walked all the way across the parking lot to get his instead.
I cherish those moments.;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by Jeremy R
I let this dude at ETSU use it, and after he tried a couple of times, he walked all the way across the parking lot to get his instead.
Thats why you keep it. Hidden somewhere in that little black car is an awesome pump you only keep for youself and that one handled thing is for us losers. :p

KL

Chimp
Feb 2, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Stans + 521's + Michi UST XC tires = Piece of cake!

front and rear inflated in seconds. :thumb:

now lets see if they hold air over night?
Keep us posted Acadian. Maybe the secret is to use UST tires....seems like you and Brian are having good luck with those.

Kev