Quantcast

5D2 video

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so i've played around w/ capturing video a few times...this is from last night's Throwing Muses show. i used the on-board mic so don't expect high quality audio, and i've also determined that handholding a camera for ~3 minutes is a lot of work! i had a prime on, so my framing was a bit inconsistent, and i lost focus when Kristin moved backwards for a bit. anyway, here it is:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
cool...didn't know they did twang...

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Mint!

Question:
With the ability to use your camera's lenses, selective DOF & focusing and still be able to take quality stills, why would anyone buy HD video cameras now this 5d2 is out?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
damo, probably in a generation or two, but it's not a replacement now...there is no setting of aperture or autofocus available to the user (as far as i can tell). you can use AF to set the scene initially, but after that the mirror is flipped up, so if the subject moves, you'll have to compensate w/ manual focus and use the LCD to confirm focus. as you might guess, this is extremely difficult to do well w/o using a tripod.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
So you cannot set the aperture?

ie you cannot film at f1.8?
there are ways around this i believe, by using ND filters if it's bright out. i'm really not sure how you check what aperture settings the lens is actually at. i am not sure how the camera figures out what to change first (either ISO or aperture).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
actually, i believe that some people have been buying older manual lenses which you can stop down manually, and rigging some sort of adapter to fit to the body.

i'm sure there are forums out there w/ enthusiasts who are pushing the boundaries of what can be done given some of the inherent limitations.