Quantcast

5th element on a BB7

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ok,
I posted this before but I'm getting to the end of my rope. I have a BB7 with a 5e shock and I can't keep it from bottoming without running the preload and air pressure so high the thing feels like a rock. I have the begin stroke comp about 1.5-2 turns from full in and the end stroke all the way in. The bottoming chamber is all the way in and the air pressure is 125psi. The bike feels like poop on anything other than dirt jumps. PLEASE HELP. I had a race this weekend and I was slow on every section except the high speed jumps.

FYI, I weigh 170 with gear, I am a fairly smooth rider and I don't do anything bigger than you would find on a pro level race course.

For people REALLY familiar with the 5e, could something be blown that would cause the shock to feel good during the first half of the stroke and have NO damping in the second half?

Thanks

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
How old is your shock? Mine went out after about 2 months and then again at about a year. Of course then it had no compression damping, not just problems with the ending stroke. It is possible that there's something wrong with the ending stroke damping circuit and it isn't giving the extra umpf that it should, but I'd guess that the beginning stroke compression would be whacked too if that were the case. Maybe you could try raising the air pressure to 150 and decrease the spring preload a bit to see if that makes much differance.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The suspension is a slightly rising rate and it is set in the more progressive setting.

As for the shock, the damping feels like its still there in the beginning stroke and I would like to avoid adding pressure because it has to much "platform" as it is.