Quantcast

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
6ft5 here, i use the XL version of the 24 Le Toy Mk3, same standover height just longer TT, I even XC on it sometimes superb little bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not you 360, the guy who posted this topic originally. although he is bigger than you too.

All curtis frames are made to order, and my point is - I'd trust one more than any alloy frame if I were doing primarily Dirt jumping and street.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Gary said:
All curtis frames are made to order, and my point is - I'd trust one more than any alloy frame if I were doing primarily Dirt jumping and street.
Not to derail the subject, but steel bikes beiong stronger than aluminum bikes/ steel bikes being more fatigue resistant than aluminim bikes is a myth in the bike world that has to die. Any mechanical engineer who is qualified to discuss materials will tell you that.

Basically, all bikes have a fatigue life, and furthermore, there are aluminum frames out there that consistently test LONGER fatigue lives than some steel frames of the same weight class.

To willyboy, there are a lot of long front end dirt jumpers out there. Take as many as you can for a ride and try to make a choice. Play with par/ stem choices and you will probably be able to get whatever you choose dialed for you.

Dave

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Kona HT frames chute, stuff etc. can be found cheap and in large sizes. I am 6.2 and I have ridden all dj, street, dh and trail without a problem on a 15" frame.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
CBJ said:
The Kona HT frames chute, stuff etc. can be found cheap and in large sizes. I am 6.2 and I have ridden all dj, street, dh and trail without a problem on a 15" frame.
True Dat,

I don't get toe-overlap on a 13" Kona! I am 5'10" with an 11 shoe.

Wheel World is blowing out Kona hardtail frames super cheap! I think they even have the Cro-Mo "Scab"...

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
i ride a small sized bmxtb, im 6'3, and have a 1/2" setback post with 50mm stem...took a week to get used to but now i love it, super easy to whip around, and very nimble.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
dw said:
Not to derail the subject, but steel bikes beiong stronger than aluminum bikes/ steel bikes being more fatigue resistant than aluminim bikes is a myth in the bike world that has to die. Any mechanical engineer who is qualified to discuss materials will tell you that.

Basically, all bikes have a fatigue life, and furthermore, there are aluminum frames out there that consistently test LONGER fatigue lives than some steel frames of the same weight class.

Dave
Hi Dave,

This is an interesting topic. There are two sides to the problem: the design side and the material selection side. Here are a few thoughts on the steel vs. alu question.

From the material selection side there are a few important issues to consider. The big one that you mention is fatigue. the chrome molybdenem alloys that we use to 'steel' build frames have no fatigue limit. The aluminum alloys used to build frames do. Nothing anyone can do about that. It is the nature of non-ferrous alloys.

From the design side there are a couple of problems as well. A lot of failures that are blamed on fatigue failure are probably more general design or manufacturing flaws: Gussets too short, poorly shaped or simply in the wrong places. Welds with bad penetration or sh!tty post weld HT. These troubles will effect steel and alu of course.

The biggest design issue i have with alu is the second moment of area necessary to get a decently stiff tube necessities large diameter tubing. Dent resistance is equivalent to the reciprocal of diameter. Since steel tubes have smaller diameters all other things being equal (they're not, i know) steel tubes will be less likely to dent. And yes, I do think dent resistance is an important structural concern.

Long lasting and durable bikes can be built from both Al and Steel. The importnat question is: Is the frame a quality built product with good quality control? This is a far more important question than which material was used!

flow

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Vancouver
Mountain Cycle Rumble size L

Beautifully crafted, burly, and nice angles. 05's have replacable drop-outs and angles can be adjusted.