Quantcast

6-7" frames at reasonable prices

tanja

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new frame to build, and I want to see what's out there.
The short-list now:

1. SX Trail
2. Commençal mini DH
3. Giant Reign X

The one to do it all. Had a Bullit in the past, big regret to have sold it to buy a 10" DH and a 5" enduro. I just want one good bike, with a great pedalling character, good geometry and looks. To do bikepark-DH in europe, some slopestyle, trails and Megavalanche.

Thanks for your time!

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Look like all great bikes on your list. If you can, I would try ride all 3 before you make your choice. I'm biased and would say the SX, but again the others are fine choices as well.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
He had one and sold it. I would say the sx trail or maybe a vp-free.
I know, but they are the best! :biggrin:

An sx-trail would be really good for all that stuff. A VP-free is a big bike, unlike a bullit. It's more downhill-ish and wouldn't be so good for slopestyle stuff.

tanja

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
Thanks so far!

SHE had one and sold it. I would say the sx trail or maybe a vp-free.
:biggrin:

wait for the new Cove Stinger to come out January. its gonna be soo sick...its got 7.5" of travel
Is that the new name for that vpp-like mini-shocker?
I had that one on the shortlist, but think it's a bit out of my league (budget).

I'd buy a new Bullit, if I didn't prefer a efficient system first.

Would the SX trail (or any of these bikes for that matter) better fit a Lyrik or a Totem? I'm worried the Totem's too long and will mess up the geometry.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The Totem 2 step (135-180) would be good on the SX-trail. It would probably be too tall at max travel, but probably up to 170 would be good. This would be a really good setup because you could lower it for slopestyle/dj stuff. The other Totems only have a fixed travel of 180.

The Lyric would probably be good on it only at max travel (160) and it would still be a little steep for downhill stuff.

I would get the Totem 2 step for the SX-trail because it can have a bunch of travel but can still be lowered for jumping and climbing.

tanja

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
The Totem 2 step (135-180) would be good on the SX-trail. It would probably be too tall at max travel, but probably up to 170 would be good. This would be a really good setup because you could lower it for slopestyle/dj stuff. The other Totems only have a fixed travel of 180.

The Lyric would probably be good on it only at max travel (160) and it would still be a little steep for downhill stuff.

I would get the Totem 2 step for the SX-trail because it can have a bunch of travel but can still be lowered for jumping and climbing.
Totem has only 135 OR 180. Nothing in between. And I need to figure out if 180 isn't too tall indeed.

SX Trail complete bikes come with 160mm forks right? So geometry might be focussed on that...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I like coil, so that would be fine for me. I want to get a pike 409 (coil) for my new hardtail. 95-140 will be good for everything.

brittmtb

Chimp
Jan 17, 2005
You should get the Versus Blitz II. It rides better than anything else I've tried. The rear end is really stiff, the suspension abosrbs bumps really well and ramps up nicely, and it is super burly.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Take a look at the new Devinci Frantik. 6.5" of travel, nice DH geometry, nice price, 1.5 headtube, 83 mm BB shell, 12x150 rear end, etc.
:)

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Dude, buy a Santa Cruz Nomad , or BULLIT again ?
Here is a list of what i have owned/rode recently.............................

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Santa Cruz Bullit --Fun on everything except steep DH runs; I switched to a Yeti DH9. Bullit was designed as a freeride bike not full-on DH .

--Yeti DH-9.. It's an awesome bike,but i needed cash so i sold it....DAM it !

---Santa Cruz 1'st gen V10 -Too plush for anything except full-on DH, Sold that . That frameset is just made for DH really (aka shuttle bike) !

----Bought a Honda CR250R--crashed on that, & switched back to mountainbikes.

-----Santa Cruz Heckler.Fast & quick, but spiked my ankles at the DH runs. Overall a ripper though. IMO--Won't hold up to the bombardment of big drops ..

-----Now own a New 2005 16" Banchee Scratch steel hardtail. It weighs as much as a FS frame........ May or may not build it up??

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I have seen some discussion about this frame. Have you seen any pictures of this? I assume it is a mini version of the Shocker.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I love my sx trail I have an 07 with an 06 66 on it 170mm. For me it is the perfect park bike. what is the axel to crown height on the totem? If it is not that tall then the totem would be just fine on it. I have seen guys running 888 on the sx and love it. Also The sx has 2 different bb heights and ht angles. And it can be built around 36-39lbs. I like the look of the new Bullit also but for my taste the ht maybe a little too steep.