Quantcast

6"+ single crown freeride fork for big rider?

Popoff

Chimp
Jul 16, 2007
I want to replace my 2002 marzocchi z1 free ride (130mm travel, eta 20mm axle) on a 2002 bullit. i put in the extra stiff springs along with 10w oil, and it treats me well. things i like about the current fork are the general feel and damping over small sharp stuff and medium size drops. i love the eta for lowering the front end while climbing. i don't like how low the front end is for steeper downhills and the flex is unnerving. it isn't horrible (like my last bike's mag 21), but it definitely is the flexy-est part of the bike.

i weight 270 lbs and this is my first mtn bike in 10 years so i am used to everything bicycle related flexing. i've been thrilled with all the new heavy duty stuff out for fr and dh as it is actually stiff enough for me to use on medium to hairy trails. i don't really do heavy freeride, more like aggressive cc, but being heavy puts similar loads on bike parts. i have yet to do drops over 3' or any gaps, but this bike feels so solid that i'm taking on way more than i ever did on my old stumpjumper hardtail. having a bike that doesn't squirm under me when i land helps confidence.

i bought the bike used from a very light tall guy, and have proceeded to finish wearing out the slider bushings on the current fork. i can replace them, but i'd rather put the $70 toward a new fork.

my big priorities are that the fork be reliable, stiff, not outrageously expensive, and have some way to drop the front end for climbing. damping at least as smooth a the current marzocchi would be great.

i've got it down to the rockshox domain 318 uturn and the marzocchi 55 eta. i the fox talas 36 is out of my price range. i'm leaning toward the domain, since the 55 is in it's first year and people have complained about the tst system crapping out. how is the domain? will i notice the extra pound up front compared with my old bomber? i can lose a pound in a few days for free. will it be stiff enough with the extra heavy springs? i like the idea of chromoly stantions and steerer tube, steel is way stiffer than aluminum of the same size. how is the motion control damping? any other forks to look at?

thanks,
Mike

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
I love my domain. You cannot beat it for the price. The one on my bottle rocket has been absolutely flawless.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I think you are on the right track. Domain, 55 ETA and the 66 series would all be good options. The 55 is in it's first year, so you may want to hold off until the next batch. I have the 66 RC2 ETA, and it is an awesome fork. Unfortunately I'm going to sell since it's a bit to much fork for my trail bike, but it really is a sick fork IMO.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
One more recommendation for the Domain...
It has a steel steerer tube as well which should hold up well for you.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
I love my 66 ATA I used it on my trail bike for a bit now its on my DH bike till I can get a new 888, and I am 240lb no complants with the 66 awesome frok

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
Anything from Fox, Zocchi, or RS. Domain gets my vote. $ permiting go 66. BIG $, 36 or Totem. You cant go wrong. There is alota good products out now. I would try to get up around 180mm of travel for a bullit.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
I would definitly say the Domain fits the bill.
It is burly. I've seen a guy 250+ beating the hell out of one on a daily basis.
All he's had to do is rebuild it once.

Also, it has a steel steerer tube. This is a tab heavier, but more durable in the long run than aluminum. Steel is real.

Popoff

Chimp
Jul 16, 2007
i definitely noticed the steel steerer. i actually wonder why they put an AL steerer on 1 1/8" totems. the steerer is way less stiff in bending than the 40mm stantions. seems to be counterproductive.

i have a carbon fork with aluminum steerer on my cyclo x bike and i'm not a big fan. when i'm cruising down a big hill and the handlebars get jarred i can feel the headset clunking from flex in the steerer.

thanks for the advice everyone. i'm ordering the domain tomorrow with a king headset.

later,
Mike

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
You might check what the springs are rated for "weight wise!" I had a Pike and the stiffest spring was for a rider 220 or less! It bottomed out all the time, on anything over 4ft. I sold it, and got my 66 and love the heck out of it.
Front is stiff as all get out, and I ride AM, XC, FR, and DH on this fork. It's handled me 6'6" 237lbs was 318lbs, for well over a year, doing drops as much as 10 or more ft, and gaps up to 20ft long. And very adjustable for someone your size,or my old size for that matter.

Just check before you order the Rock Shox, to make sure they make a spring stiff enough to handle the weight. Over all I love Rock Shox, but can't get one of their forks tuned enough for doing big stuff at my size.

Popoff

Chimp
Jul 16, 2007
i'm really glad you mentioned that. i'll have to call them up and see what they say. i do have the extra firm marz. springs in the z1, and i can feel the front go way deeper than the rear when i preload for a jump. i have a 675 lb/in rear spring and i am happy with it. the front could be a bit tighter though i haven't bottomed it out hard. i also have 10w oil at a higher level.

how much do the folks who chimed in weigh? which spring are you using? what rear spring and travel are you using? does your bike feel balanced?

the pike does have a lower recommended minimum weight for the stiffest spring than the domain, but only by 20 lbs.
http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/service/coil_spring_chart.pdf

i've been looking at used 66's, i think my biggest hang up is how tall they are. it' sounds like you're hitting much bigger stuff than i do, so depending on what i hear from rockshox i may just cross my fingers and try it.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
I recommend you contact someone at the tech department just to make sure. I was so disappointed when I found out about the Pike. It was the perfect fork for what I wanted at the time, and it would just not work. Also you can lower a 66 to 150mm travel, making it an inch shorter in height. I climb mine with 7" and do just fine. Just stand up more in the climbs, and hammer up the hills!

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
the pike does have a lower recommended minimum weight for the stiffest spring than the domain, but only by 20 lbs.
http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/service/coil_spring_chart.pdf
I had a 200 -220lbs spring for my pike, which is the same spring as the blue spring on the chart for the domain. I never took my pike off anything because it would not stop from bottoming on smaller stuff.I had it a month and couldn't take it anymore. I put more oil in it, and the stiffest spring made no change! It was just me being too big for the spring weight.

The air assist that's in the Marzocchi's works perfect for us big guys, because you don't ever have to buy a stiffer spring than what comes in it. You just add more oil when you get it and adjust the air. Done deal!

Popoff

Chimp
Jul 16, 2007
i talked with rockshox this morning and the tech pretty much agreed with what you are saying about being way too heavy. he also said changing to heavier oil will pretty much just make it spike more instead of increasing damping. i guess that's the drawback with using a single spring. this is why i really gave up on mountain biking years ago, nothing worked well for my height and weight.

so you run stock springs on the 66 and make up the extra stiffness with air and adjusting oil level? i'm getting my friend at the shop i worked in back in the 90's to look for deals on older 66's hopefully with eta. i do like how marzocchi's feel.

really, thanks for the heads up.

tonyl

Chimp
Oct 2, 2007
66 series all the way... Look at a 06 or 07 I'm almost 290 lbs and the 66 has dual coil with dual air assist to "help" with us bigger riders.

I havn't tried a 08 66 which switched to a single sided coil and the air on the other side.

The 66 is proven and durable. Your weight is a non issue for it...

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
Yes! Stock springs, and air assist. I only run about 5 pounds or so in each leg, and 1 extra cap of oil in each leg. I think the max air pressure in each leg is 15psi. You can make it so stiff, it won't even compress with about 14 or 15 psi. If you got one with 150mm it would be perfect for am stuff. Like I said... mine is 170mm and does just fine on the trail.

You might also check into a Manitou travis single @150mm travel. Check and see about spring options on them. My Sherman Firefly has a X/firm spring, rated for someone above 230 and has worked perfect for my other trail bike.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
Also... Look into 06 and newer 66's not the 05's. They are tall!My 06 66 w/ 7" travel is shorter than my 05 66 was at 150mm! Buy quite a bit at that! I've seen them go on ebay for $250.00 on up. Don't be afraid to get the VF2 model either. That's what I have, and love it. Even the 66 VF2 for 06 has rebound and compression. Just no eta!

Good luck and If I see any deals going on an older one I'll look you up!
Chris...:thumb:

Popoff

Chimp
Jul 16, 2007
unfortunately it looks like dealers and distributors are all sold out of 2007's and i'm not keen on the price of 2008's. i guess i'll have to keep my eye on used stuff. i also found out that fox is in the same boat for coil spring forks, and their air spring forks are really only setup for riders up to about 240. there was nothing like the first ride with my bike sprung for my weight. 1st time ever with the right sag without coil binding preload, including 2 motorcycles and my old mag 21 where nothing was made for us heavyfolk.

thanks
Mike

Popoff

Chimp
Jul 16, 2007
i've been watching that fork, it looks like the same seller. i may go for it if the price is reasonable. i missed out on a 66 rc2 eta that was local.

i really would like to get somethign with eta, especially since these bigger travel forks are 2.5" taller than my current fork. does lowering the stem/handlebars have a similar effect on climbing as dropping the fork? the bb wouldn't drop, but my upper body would. i guess i could move some shims around and try it.

what do you think about the 55 eta? its supposed to be the same or better structure as an '07 66, but has a single spring on one side. the air preload is the same as the 66, but on a single side. i'm not so sure about the tst micro, but reviews say good things about it. i don't understand why they don't just give you some simple compression and rebound adjusters, and leave high speed comp up to a shim stack. i guess acronym's sell parts.

i'm thinking about the 55 since the going rate for a used 66 is not far off from the price i can get a 55 eta for. plus most 66's are cut too short for my frame, and having a new head tube pressed in costs about $80 including shipping.

-Mike