Quantcast

6" vs 8" rear rotor?

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Is the difference between a 6 and 8" rotor on the rear that significant? Is it worth the added weight? I know its not much and I'm not a weight weenie, but it just seems like everytime I upgrade my long-travel trail/free ride rig, I'm always adding weight.

Thanks

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I'd go for a smaller rotor mainly because a lighter rear end should feel better with suspension, and the front is doing most of the stopping anyway.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Depends on the trails you ride. For a lot of DH trails and race courses you'd be asking for major trouble with a 6" rotor. There just isn't enough stopping power. But for trail riding and dirt jumping a 6" is just fine in my experience. However the added weight is not noticable in the least and I have never had problems with warping or damage.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
I would love to have an 8" but I don't so I guess no big deal. I even know a couple of my "rides" can't handle an 8" so its probably best this way. :devil:

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
I would go with a 8" no question. When you need the stopping power, its there. I have rode 8" for three years and have not bent the rotor at all. (i have had my share of spills) As for weight..there really isnt much difference between 6" and 8"...plus its on a DH rig so a few ounces wil not kill you weight bottom line.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Here's the scientific answer:

If you ride around needing to/wishing you could lock your rear brake more easily, then it's worth it. If not, there's no need to upgrade it at all. Simple, really.

MD

Chimp
Jan 10, 2002
CA
I have to say, there is a big difference in stopping power between 6" and 8". If you do DH runs at ski resorts, then 8" is a must I think. But I do feel like 8" is too sensitive for normal rideing for the rear (although you get used to it). I was thinking about putting 7" disk in the rear. Avid mechanicals have 7", so in theory it should be able to use the avid 7" disk on with my Hayes hydros... right? I've never seen this being done though. Has anyone seen it on someone's bike?

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
i like six inch, but i mostly just do dirt jumping. if I were running a DH rig, i'd probably go with the eight inch. the weight of a bike that size doesn't stop as easily, so eight inch just gives it that extra kick, especially on steep downhills.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
If your riding has a lot of extended descents then I'd go 8" for sure. Hayes brakes generally have enough modulation to keep the rear wheel rolling with the brakes on even with the bigger rotor. Immediate stopping power isn't the only benefit you'll see from the bigger rotor, you'll also get less heat fade on long descents with the 8" rotor.

As for the guy who asked about the 185mm setup, you'll need an Avid, Shimano, or Braking rotor (Hayes doesn't offer a 7" rotor), and an Avid adapter. It should work though, as the Hayes and Avid adapters are interchangeable.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Seriously, while we can all tell this guy what WE like, it's HE who has to decide on whether or not he 'needs' this. He's asking "what would a good generic upgrade for my bike be, since I [presumably] have some cash to spend," not "I can't stop going downhill...what should I do?"

Since he's asking us, not complaining of a lack of braking power, I don't think he needs it. If he DID need it, he wouldn't be asking. He'd know.

MD

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
I fall on a lot of skinny log rides. I used to run 8" rear rotors on 24" rear wheels. After I bent 3 last year I decided to try using a 6" rear rotor instead. So far it's been great. Easier to keep true, and I haven't noticed more arm pump or any brake fade (my main worries) I try not to use too much rear brake for slowing down, more for controlled slides, etc. I did a full weekend of runs at N*, and didn't even notice.

You definately get more power out of an 8, and I would run one if I could keep them straight. But I don't notice the lack of power once I hit the trail.

Scott

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
i run dual avid mech 7" on my trailbike, and am satisfied with the power. didn't get 8 cause frame wouldn't fit in rear and it's a psylo qr fork so i'm not trusting an 8. didn't run 6" cause i'm 260 pounds and like bombing down new trails,on which i often come across areas where i shouldn't go that fast so i need to ditch speed quick. :thumb: