Quantcast

60 bucks to ship a frame!!!!!!!!!WTF?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
so i went to the UPS store to find out how much its gonna cost to ship my old sgs frame so i can let the buyer know. They figured it out to be 60 F'n dollars!!!!!!!!!!! i think im gonna try the usps or fed-ex.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I once shipped a complete bike (we're talking from western VT to eastern MA here) and it was about $90. I wasn't paying and the buyer insisted on Fed Ex. Whatever.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
That's a lot! Although it did cost me about $120 to ship a complete bike with UPS once. Now I do all my shipping with fedex cuz I get hookups since my mom is a programmer there. I can ship virtually anything for under $20 and it'll be there in 3 days. :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
thats what i need is a damn hookup. i wanna get this frame to the guy pronto but i need to be able to tell him how much shipping is so he can post payment. but damn that is a rip off.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hm, just get a job with a big company and ship it with their shipping department. and say you'll pay them later......
or sometimes its really cheap.

ex:
i think it costs you monkies to ship me back my hats about $3.50 and costs me about $2.
ex2: i shipped my lezsport frame out, box was about 20lbs UPS. it only cost about $18.

so if it makes anyone feel better i only make like $2-3 profit on the hats. but since all that money goes right into my paypal account. i never get around to putting it to good use, so i spend it all on bike parts. thankS!
(which means i just eat less each day)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Go through USPS. I shipped a bike through them last year and it cost about 50 bucks. That was 34 lb bike with a few pounds of packaging. UPS is quite pricey, though in my opinion they are worth it if time is of essence.

The Ito

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
only reason ups is pricey for you guys is because you go to the store. their in it to make a profit. whereas if u send it through like a distribution center it will be about 1/2 or less than 1/2 the price. i sent my bighit frame to coneticut and it only cost me 20 bucks. the package weighed in at 22lbs. its alot cheaper if oyu send it that way.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
biggins said:
so i went to the UPS store to find out how much its gonna cost to ship my old sgs frame so i can let the buyer know. They figured it out to be 60 F'n dollars!!!!!!!!!!! i think im gonna try the usps or fed-ex.

I shipped a COMPLETE bike in a big-old TriCo case from LA to NC for $50.

Fed Ex

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I paid 30 dollars for a complete bike to be shipped VIA UPS (not UPS store) from Ct to Utah. Ups store is a rip off.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
IronJim said:
just make sam pay for the shipping, ben, i'm shure he would like that
ya he is already paying for it. im just trying to keep it cheapo for him.

im gonna go to fed ex first thing in the morning

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
I just goto the FedEx distro center. Their scale is nearly flush with the counter so if your package is mainly supported on the sides of the box they'll get a lighter reading since the counter holds up the package. I shipped a 48lb bmx bike for 14 bucks and the guy didnt even say anything when he picked it up and it was obviously more than the 12lbs that had registered.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You guys don't know shipping well at all...

How big was the box you're sending it in Biggins? The problem with shipping bikes is that typically the boxes fall right on the borderline between OS2 (oversize) and OS3. If your box grows barely an inch, your shipping might go from 30 bucks to 90 bucks.

Fedex is cheaper for sending larger objects, but not as reliable. The UPS Store will markup between 5-10%, depending on the franchise owner.

I just sent my Homegrown (complete bike) to Minnesota for 22 bucks Fedex. I believe the dimensions on it were 54x8x26. That falls about 3 inches below both the UPS and Fedex OS3 dims...If it had been bigger, it would've cost 70 bucks.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
From my Ebay selling, FedEx always seems cheaper on anything bigger than your average package...........and they're reliable

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
The UPS store is a flat out rip off. Dont go through them. The UPS service is great but that damn store sucks. Do what Fraser said and bring it to a UPS service counter.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
where do i find one of those?ya'll keep mentioning the ups service counter but where are those?

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
xbluethunderx said:
The problem with shipping bikes is that typically the boxes fall right on the borderline between OS2 (oversize) and OS3. If your box grows barely an inch, your shipping might go from 30 bucks to 90 bucks.
That's the deal, folks.

You may need to cut down the size of the box. I used to know the maximum measurements for OS2, but can't remember. Use FedEx or UPS online to enter different box sizes to get your shipping costs.

And make sure the shipping store measures the box correctly. Had a guy once taking measurements from the center of the box (width) where it was bowing out slightly -- $78. Then had him measure it properly from the ends -- $32.

Gotta know the tricks to it, that's all.

lux

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
biggins said:
Just the frame??? When I shipped my V10 frame to the powder coater, in Colorado, it was like 15 bucks fully insured...and I packed the HELL outta that thing.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
yup just the frame, in a cardboard frame box.

Yo

Go to their website, they have some info there. If you exceed what they consider a "standard" box it gets SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive. A bike box from your LBS fits the "standard." If they just measured it or something I bet you fell outside that parameter.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Dude, you are getting ripped off. Just 2 minutes ago i shipped Stosh a frame. From KY to NY. With $350 worth of insurance via UPS ground. The box weighs 20 lbs. Total cost: $9.85. Granted i use our shipping department at the office. But $60 is crazy. Thats what i payed to 2day air my Banshee frame to CANADA for warranty.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Booker said:
Dude, you are getting ripped off. Just 2 minutes ago i shipped Stosh a frame. From KY to NY. With $350 worth of insurance via UPS ground. The box weighs 20 lbs. Total cost: $9.85. Granted i use our shipping department at the office. But $60 is crazy. Thats what i payed to 2day air my Banshee frame to CANADA for warranty.
wait you're shipping me a frame? Did I win something?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I took my Hollowpoint Frame to a UPS pickup/dropoff place (not a UPS Store). They estimated it would cost about $20-$25 to ship it from NY to VA with $350 worth of insurance.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
xbluethunderx said:
You guys don't know shipping well at all...
LOL grasshopper.....

No, what we are talking about here is the huge premium the UPS store slaps on any package you ship from them, size or not.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
squarewheels said:
check out DHL
i've never used 'em, but they're big in Europe and significantly cheaper than FedEX, USPS, and UPS
We us DHL and they just bought out American Express (this shipping company).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Booker said:
Sweet!!

I share a mailbox with my landlords and when the delivery people come they drop it off at their house. I hope they fuggin remember to drop it off when they get it. I swear sometimes they've got like 3days worth of my mail.