Quantcast

65 degrees at the 909

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
It's nearly Thanksgiving and we're riding in shorts and jerseys in Upstate NY. I love global warming! Saturday was a great day and here are the pictures to prove it...

Firemandivi gets things started. Nothing beats the crisp smell of fall and the crunch of leaves

Dogwonder on some twisty singletrack

This singletrack was narrow and full of drop-offs!

Rob rips down a technical descent

Chris leads us through the leaves

Kathy rips along through a rock garden

The bluebug

Dogwonder with the mad launch

Rob gives it a try

Chris on one of 2 bridges

Kathy on the log

Rob

The funniest thing was when Divi and Dogwonder switched bikes. The ever launching Dogwonder was suddenly launch-less with one inch of front travel-- and Divi was having a field day.

Divi back on his hardtail

Dogwonder back in launch mode

We stopped at the overlook (highest point of the climb) and gave the bikes a break. All-in-all it was a great day. :biggrin:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Nice collection of pics (none of my crash though:disgust1:) I still find it funny how slow motion it felt. My legs feel fine now :cheers: and I'm ready to ride again.
I know. That was a spectacular super man you did. I remember looking up and seeing the soles of your shoes and then your back wheel.

My legs feel good too. I think I'll hit the gym today. We've got to night ride soon :biggrin:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
hows that global warming today?:brow:

Nice ride report, looks like a great day was had by all!

is Dogwonder's bike a 575? if so yes it is a great all around bike, with tons of launching abilities as well as a climbing machine!

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Nice write up Beth and some great pics. It would have been cool to have some pics when I was riding divi's bike and he was riding mine. I was completely a noob!!! It's amazing how used to a bike you get and how much your skills drop off when you get on a different ride.

Thanks again guys, my legs are still sore!

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Is kathy riding a Hollowpoint?
Yup, I believe the Hollowpoint is the old version of the MKIII. You know the bike you have holding up a picture or something. You really need to ride more. Don't want to hear your busy, we're all busy. Next ride no excuses, even if its a night ride bring a mag light and some duct tape. Your going:bonk:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yup, I believe the Hollowpoint is the old version of the MKIII. You know the bike you have holding up a picture or something. You really need to ride more. Don't want to hear your busy, we're all busy. Next ride no excuses, even if its a night ride bring a mag light and some duct tape. Your going:bonk:
I used to have that bike in Yellow as well.

This weekend coming up actually looks to be pretty nice.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Great report. I'll get the GPS downloaded on my desktop and posted shortly.

I want to go back to that twisty track near the beginning. That kicked my ass and I need to work on my technical stuff (and my photography skills as well).

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
909 looks like a lot of fun, i really need to get up there some time. i was at Blue Mountain with the rest of the crew on saturday.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
hows that global warming today?:brow:

Nice ride report, looks like a great day was had by all!

is Dogwonder's bike a 575? if so yes it is a great all around bike, with tons of launching abilities as well as a climbing machine!
Yep, that's a 575. I've get set up so it prefers decending over climbing (shorter stem, higher rise) and keep my seat low. It doesn't climb as well as others, but for an all around bike, it freaking rawks.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yep, that's a 575. I've get set up so it prefers decending over climbing (shorter stem, higher rise) and keep my seat low. It doesn't climb as well as others, but for an all around bike, it freaking rawks.
I have ridden mine for every type of riding so far. I launch it and rip the tech. stuff up down at Snowshoe with it. It is my favorite trail/XC machine. It climbs like a goat, and is pretty damn light for how strong it is! I love my 575:cupidarrow: could be my bestest purchase when it comes to bikey stuff!

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Probably the best bike I've been on yet for descents, but sorry dogwonder, it was probably one of the worst for ascents. But I've seen Dogwonder go up stuff on the 575 that I couldn't go up on my hard tail.
So its probably the rider, but I just don't want to admit it.:cheers:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Probably the best bike I've been on yet for descents, but sorry dogwonder, it was probably one of the worst for ascents. But I've seen Dogwonder go up stuff on the 575 that I couldn't go up on my hard tail.
Maybe it's because you are running the original tires that came on your hardtail in 89'.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
I have ridden mine for every type of riding so far. I launch it and rip the tech. stuff up down at Snowshoe with it. It is my favorite trail/XC machine. It climbs like a goat, and is pretty damn light for how strong it is! I love my 575:cupidarrow: could be my bestest purchase when it comes to bikey stuff!
I tell you what, that frame has been rock solid. I've gone through wheel sets, bottom brackets, cranks, and more chains than I know, but that frame is still in pristine shape. It's probably time to service the shock and fork just for routine maintenance, but I ride hard and haven't had a single fram problem.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
It's definitely a set-up thing as well. Having a short stem, lower seat, and no offset seatpost will make it climb harder. I think if you dialed this in more for climbing, you'd enjoy it better. But make no mistake, the Yeti won't climb as good as the hardtail, part of the tradeoff.

Thanks for the great photos and the ride invitation bluebug32!

I had a blast! It's been a while since I've ridden with a group. It's too bad I had to split right after the ride. Jocelyn thought I'd be coming back earlier and I didn't want her to worry since we were going out to dinner that night.

I look forward to riding again with you guys and gals.

I found it odd that after the ride, while obsessively checking my chain for signs of wear, I kept thinking of hamburgers and hot sauce!? :cheers:

Chris

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Thanks for the great photos and the ride invitation bluebug32!

I had a blast! It's been a while since I've ridden with a group. It's too bad I had to split right after the ride. Jocelyn thought I'd be coming back earlier and I didn't want her to worry since we were going out to dinner that night.

I look forward to riding again with you guys and gals.

I found it odd that after the ride, while obsessively checking my chain for signs of wear, I kept thinking of hamburgers and hot sauce!? :cheers:

Chris
Hey! Good to see you around here. I was going to send you the link.

Anytime you want to ride just let us know and we'll be down for more thrills, chills and uhh...spills (Divi) ;)

Thanks again for showing us that bit of singletrack. That was awesome.:biggrin: