Quantcast

66 RC---6"-7"

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Are there even any spacers in the newer HSCV forks? I'm thinking the older HSCV forks could have their travel changed as you could play with the topout springs and swap them and the main springs around to suit, but the newer HSCV forks have the topout springs inside the cart, meaning you can't change the travel at all. Am I right here, or are there actually spacers in the 888rc and 66rc? Because it sounds like there's a lot of confusion/misinformation here going on here.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Rik said:
Are there even any spacers in the newer HSCV forks? I'm thinking the older HSCV forks could have their travel changed as you could play with the topout springs and swap them and the main springs around to suit, but the newer HSCV forks have the topout springs inside the cart, meaning you can't change the travel at all. Am I right here, or are there actually spacers in the 888rc and 66rc? Because it sounds like there's a lot of confusion/misinformation here going on here.
I think you're basically re-asking the original question of this thread? :confused:

But to also correct you, there are no "older HSCV" forks. That name came about in 2002, and yes the spacers were moved inside the cartridge. Why, I've never heard. I believe the "older HSCV" forks you talk of used SSV to describe the cartridge. That is confusing because the simple ported dampers of today use that same SSV tag.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I'm just trying to clarify things, since people are talking about spacers and whatnot in the RC versions of the above mentioned forks, and I am under the impression there are actually no spacers/topout springs to change around, meaning that the VF models are getting confused with RC models.
It's easier to say "older hscv" than it is "pre-2002 ssv", because the latter is more confusing, especially when I think there's already confusion going on as to what versions have which adjustability.

WonderBoy

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
Rik said:
I'm just trying to clarify things, since people are talking about spacers and whatnot in the RC versions of the above mentioned forks, and I am under the impression there are actually no spacers/topout springs to change around, meaning that the VF models are getting confused with RC models.
It's easier to say "older hscv" than it is "pre-2002 ssv", because the latter is more confusing, especially when I think there's already confusion going on as to what versions have which adjustability.
To Clarify (not that I think my previous post was incorrect...)

The RC version have a sleeve (part nr. 60-something) that sits below and outside the cartridge. That sleeve can be moved to the top of the spring to lower the fork.

That Is at least what my very capable local shop mecanic and the Danish Importer both say. I still have to strip the fork to be 100% but I´think they are correct.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Rik said:
I'm just trying to clarify things...It's easier to say "older hscv" than it is "pre-2002 ssv", because the latter is more confusing, especially when I think there's already confusion going on as to what versions have which adjustability.
Since there is no such thing as "older hscv" as you call it, and there actually is "pre-'02 ssv", I'd have to disagree and say you are adding to the confusion by creating more terms. As crappy as Marzocchi's acronyms were/are, if people are around them enough they catch on and understand.

OK, enough nitpicking. Did I mention I LOVE my 66RC?! :) If someday I could swap a spacer to make it 170mm for a different frame that would just be another plus!

WonderBoy

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
no matter what everybody else have said is or isn´t possible: IT IS POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE TRAVEL ON A 66 FORK!!

I´ve just watched af shop-mecanic instruction mpeg I got from the Danish Marzocchi destributer on how to alter the travel. And it is very easy. it takes no mere than 5 minutes to change the travel from 170 to 150 or the other way!

So if you would like to change your travel, just do it!! :)

Now just go out and ride! :sneaky:

trailbike

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
You can change the travel from 170 to 150 as stated in Marz email for $40.00 bucks:

From Marz:

Dear Customer
in reply to your technical question:
Yo: What's the cost and method to convert a 66rc from 170mm to 150mm?

thx
roberto
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
the reply is:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROBERTO,
Youre looking at about fourty dollars labor and sending the fork back
to
us to have the work done.Please give us a call and set up an ra# if
youre
interested.661-257-6630.
Thank you,
Marzocchi tech.

7and7

Chimp
May 15, 2005
Amherst MA
OGRipper said:
Hmmm, I guess we just think differently about suspension, or maybe you know her or something else I don't. Without knowing more it's tough to call it but just because she's light and doesn't do big drops doesn't mean she needs to "grow into" a 7" fork. I learned to ride on a rigid bike and appreciate the need for fundamental skills but if 6" is ok, why not 7"?
I see where you're coming from on this one, but I really dont agree with that. We dont know how she rides, and we dont want to deem 7" as "Too much travel for someone." But why go through all the trouble? He said the bike comes with a 6" version of the fork, so why change it? I use a 6" 66RC, I weigh 140, and I have subjected it to much more than 4'. I would even say 6" is better. With this particular model fork, 7" is not needed, and it makes it absurdly tall for a singlecrown.

Darryl

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
ZION
Marzocchi told my mechanic how to do it right over the phone and it took him about 20 minutes. Works just fine other than the strange top out Marzocchi is calling "spring slap" but I can't get it to go away.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Darryl said:
Marzocchi told my mechanic how to do it right over the phone and it took him about 20 minutes. Works just fine other than the strange top out Marzocchi is calling "spring slap" but I can't get it to go away.
actually, that's the new 'bitch slap' feature you're enjoying there.

good times.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I reduced the travel in my 2004 888R from 8" to 7" but had to replace both cartridges to do it. I was under the impression that 66RC were able to have the travel reduced by switching the spacers around inside the forks. I have not ever seen the inside of a 66RC so it is just hear say from me.