Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Fox 36 Van RC2 160mm

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Which one of these would you prefer on an SX trail, used for mainly DH and drops?

My main question is will i notice the 10mm difference or not? And am i going to miss out on something in a forks, if i pick one over the other?

They both have the same adjustments, the only difference i can find is the travel difference, 1mm difference in the stanchions and the forks are made by different companies.

I saw that one monkey with and SX had an 36 Van RC2 and recently sold it for a 66 RC2, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me your experiences with your forks and why you chose the 66 RC2X and how it compares to the 36.

Thank you
ADAM

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I now some of you monkeys have had ride time on these forks, I need these questions answered.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
If somebody handed me either fork, I would take the 66.

If the extra pound of weight doesnt bother you, get the 66. Its a killer, do it all, bombproof fork.

Ive got a 36 VanR on my SX, and its awesome, plush, stiff. I have no reason to swap it out.

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I traded my Vanilla 36rc for a 66rc2x and could not be happier. One reason for me though is that it fits my Shore better and I sold the frame that the 36 was on. Of the two I am happier with the 66, I have more faith in it. Both are great though.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i thought i wanted the 36. i have been asking around with the same question you have, and everybody seems to point to the marzo. not sure why. the biggest complaint i hear is that the 36 is too linear and better suited for trail riding than for dh/drop riding. the 66 supposedly ramps up better... and it is 30 higher.

engel777

Chimp
Apr 11, 2006
Europe - IE, SK
one very good advice >>> buy 888rc2x 170..... if you don't doing x-up onevery 2nd jump is no point to buy SC .... DC is much better ....
friend had 888r he swap it for 66rc finaly he realized it was mistake... he bought 888rc ....{again}

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
really? i have and 66 rc2x and have no complaints about the single crown, i do x ups but thats not why. i just think its stiff enough, but im pretty light, idk

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I for got who you are but the person who recently sold their 36 van to get a 66, If you are out their could you tell me why you made your decision and do you feel it was the right one.

89yota

Chimp
Oct 10, 2003
I'd take the 66 any day. My main thing is that I've been riding marzocchi forks for like 6 or 7 years and have yet to experience a bad fork. They're simple and plush and bombproof. Hell I have one now that hasn't had the fork oil changed in years and it still feels just fine. On the other hand, Fox forks have a not so great reputation for being a bit finicky. And being a bit of a mechanic and knowing many more, we all agree that a fox fork is absolute hell to work on. I don't doubt that they're burly and feel great, I just know that the zokie is better.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I think the ability to make a fork more progressive is pretty important for doing drops and I like the wider stance of the 66's, the 10mm isn't much difference in travel.

for dh both forks would be good, but I think the 66 would be better for you.

old ol

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
Ok, Adam just called me and he's ordering the 66rc2x on Wednesday from universal cycles.

Zilla

Chimp
Aug 20, 2004
Dreaming
What if you are a chick and are choosing between the two forks for an Intense 6.6 (no big drops)? Sorry to invade your thread sxtrailrider, but it got my attention and I am going to make a decision by friday!

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
thats fine, What kinda of riding are you looking at if it is rocky and you could use a little more travel then go for the 66 but if you prefer a lighter litter less travel fork and don't mind spending a little more then get the 36 van, but make sure out of either one get the compression adjust not just the R or a VF fork . If you plan on doing climing go for the new talas 36

Zilla

Chimp
Aug 20, 2004
Dreaming
hmmm. thanks for the info. I am in very rocky area. I noticed from mtbr.com that the talas was having some packing issues, i.e. the fork is packing down and not coming back up for the full amount of travel. A friend of mine has one that does not have that problem, but he is really only using the fork for xc not freeride at all.

Inkhell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Golden
66RC2X.... Hands down. I had a 36R for a while and it was too linear for my weight (220lbs) Seemed to almost bottom out in the driveway with the heavy springs installed. Performed well on the trails but dove through the travel downhill over big rocks/logs almost throwing me over the bars. I've got a 66RC2X now (on a Nomad) and it's balanced much better. The Fox felt much better out of the box but the 66 will smoothed out nicely after a couple of rides. Might not be as much of an issue with the RC though.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Zilla said:
hmmm. thanks for the info. I am in very rocky area. I noticed from mtbr.com that the talas was having some packing issues, i.e. the fork is packing down and not coming back up for the full amount of travel. A friend of mine has one that does not have that problem, but he is really only using the fork for xc not freeride at all.
Well a Van 36R and Talas are 2 different puppies. The Talas obviously being an air fork, and the 36R and coil. So you cant not get a 36, based on what your friends Talas feels like. They feel very different IMO. I think you would be better off on a 36. I think it would fit the bike better, and since you said you are not doing anything crazy on it, the 36 would be a better pick.
This is coming from somebody that rides a Van 36R and likes it, however if had the choice from the start would get a 66.