3 turns of hi/spd compression
3 turns low/spd compression
6-8 turns of rebound

Post how you set yours up. Thanks much.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Kind of hard off the top of my head and I'm away from my bike. I have the 06, have no ride time on the 07 so I don't really know the diff. in the two. I say this because I know you have the 07.

I know, I'm runing no air and very little comp. maybe 1-3 clicks. It felt way to hard when it had air and I havent even come close to bottoming it out. And prob. around 3-5 clicks of rebound.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Kind of hard off the top of my head and I'm away from my bike. I have the 06, have no ride time on the 07 so I don't really know the diff. in the two. I say this because I know you have the 07.

I know, I'm runing no air and very little comp. maybe 1-3 clicks. It felt way to hard when it had air and I havent even come close to bottoming it out. And prob. around 3-5 clicks of rebound.
Does 5 psi sound about right? I could get it to bottom just riding it around without air and the hi/spd compression cranked. I would think the 06 and 07 would be the same settings. What dod you weigh?

Anyone else with a 06 or 07 66 RC2X??

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
yea i got an '06 66 rc2x, 0 clicks on the hsc, 2 clicks on the lsc, and i think 7 clicks on the rebound, i'll go check tommorow. no air. havn't bottomed yet. I weigh 180.

first couple rides the fork felt a little rough, partly because it was not broken in, and partly because I had to get the adjustments right. But after the break in period, and proper adjustment, the fork feels great

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I run about 2psi (which gives me about 1.5" of sag), 0-3 clicks low speed comp, 4-7 clicks hi speed, rebound on the fast side with just enough damping to control it. I weigh 190lbs. OH yeah, that's on a '06 66RC2X.

Hmm...you may want to check your oil heighth. Could be too low.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
With 5psi in both legs.
3 turns of hi/spd compression
3 turns low/spd compression
6-8 turns of rebound

Sag is about 1". Ill try a little less air.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
06 66RC2X
3-4 clicks of lsc
4 clicks of hsc
just enough rebound
no air
weigh 175 with gear and rarely bottoms at those settings. after it was broken in, smooth as butter.
Nathan

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Curious, do you guys actually feel the fork works better with the "3 clicks" of low speed compression vrs just wide open?

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Does 5 psi sound about right? I could get it to bottom just riding it around without air and the hi/spd compression cranked. I would think the 06 and 07 would be the same settings. What dod you weigh?

I'm around 175, I think I put around 5psi when I first got it and it felt to stiff. Yah like the others said check your oil height. the 66 is a pretty stiff fork and you shouldn't be able to bottom it out in your driveway.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Curious, do you guys actually feel the fork works better with the "3 clicks" of low speed compression vrs just wide open?
I'll give'er a few clicks for the slower, big-move, techy freeride-ish trails. But then I'll open it back up for trail riding and pure DH. So yes, I feel it does work better that way as it is less prone to blowing through its travel. Its all personal preference, though.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
I feel it helps with brake dive. Mine dives pretty bad with no lsc at all.
Nathan

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I think Ive got it. I did a little testing this morning plus I got on the scale, too. Im 194. Crap I gained 14 lbs this summer. Must be all muscle. ;)

Anyway, this is what I came up with;
2-3 psi each leg
3 turns of low and high speed
rebound about in the middle

I find if I run more that 3 clicks of the l/sp the small bumps feel terrible and the fork rides rough.

Anyone notice if you run the rebound too slow you get a real annoying spring noise?

noskcaj

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
Northford, CT
i have mine set up with no air, and i do get that annoying spring noise. My rebound isnt too slow, but it isnt fast. I figured it had to do with breaking it in, mine still is pretty sticky.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
i have mine set up with no air, and i do get that annoying spring noise. My rebound isnt too slow, but it isnt fast. I figured it had to do with breaking it in, mine still is pretty sticky.

If you set your rebound real slow does it get worse?

If you set it real fast does it almost go away?

I hope it goes away after it gets broken in. You can feel it in the bars a little too.

Mine also makes a weird noise if I crank the hi speed compression. Does your do that too?

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
mine makes that weird spring/ clicking noise if the rebound is turned up too much. still there even after the first oil change.

noskcaj

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
Northford, CT
it seems to be doing it no matter the damping setting. Just when the rebound is slow, it seems to make it more pronounced. When it is fast, it is more of a swoosh, if that makes any sense.

Im thinking of pulling apart the fork this weekend and see if i see any wear, ill keep you all updated on the noise.

I have ridden it pretty hard and i havnt noticed any weird noises other than the spring thing, which isnt noticable while riding, just when pushing up and down at rest.

Other than that, its an amazing fork.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
I weigh 195lb. No air, lo / hi compression fully (-) . I purchased the fork used and asked the previous owner how he had the fork set - he said 5 psi air, low / hi speed compression a few clicks (+). Well I opened the fork up to change the oil, before use, and found the fork was about 30mm low on oil. Works fine for me now. I do get some low speed spring rattle as well.

This spring noise you guys are referring to, is it a metallic "clack" noise? If so, I get it when running low rebound damping, but I can dial it out if I slow down the rebound.

Unfortunately I like to run very little rebound damping, so it makes noise when it's set where I like it (2/3 clicks). Fork is an 06 model.

noskcaj

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
Northford, CT
mine's brand new as well, it does sound like the spring is getting held up on the plastic thing and as a result is rubbing the inside of the stanchion, but im not sure, im going to look around and ill post asap about the results

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
mine's brand new as well, it does sound like the spring is getting held up on the plastic thing and as a result is rubbing the inside of the stanchion, but im not sure, im going to look around and ill post asap about the results
I had that sound on my brand new '06 888RC2X. It went away after it was broken in. It sounded like the spring was rubbing the inside of the stanchion on compression.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I got a big ride in today on the 66. It was an epic DH. I did about 2 hours of climbing for a 30 minute DH, about 14 miles in all. I must say the 66 is impressive. I have been running an 888 for the last 3 years and can't tell the difference in the 07 66 and the 888s. I played with the adjustments a lot and finally have it set. I really dont like using more than 3-4 turns of the low/spd adjustment. The fork rides too high in the travel and doesnt soak up the bumps as well with anything over 4 clicks. It would be nice to crank it on slow techy trails or fast smooth trails, but for normal riding 3-4 clicks felt about perfect.

Now for air pressure and hi/spd adjustment. I weigh over 200 lbs with gear. I have found that 3-5 psi is about right for preload and I set the hi/spd compression in the middle. It didnt bottom out on the trail but I was using 6" of travel. I hit a few smaller drops and it felt about right. I think Im going to have to play with the oil levels and possibly change one spring. Im afraid I will bottom hard on anything over 3-4ft. Its just so plush.

The driveway test does nothing for the fork. I can get it to bottom just bouncing on the street but never bottomed it today while riding.

Does anyone know what the max oil height on the 07 66 is? Im thinking it will be different from the 06 since it has 10mm more travel than the 05 and 06.

I didnt notice the spring noise riding and I think it might have lessened somewhat.

Here are a few pics from today.
1.I made it to Strawberry Lake.
2.View from the top
3.Trail down

Attachments

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Mine is brand new. Would this fix that noise? Its not a rattle or click noise. Its a spring boing, boing, boing. Its hard to explain. Will the noise go away after it breaks in?
I noticed that noise as well in my 888rc2x (vs my old 888rc).

It either went away, reduced, or I just got used to it. I certainly don't notice it anymore.

Jun 21, 2007
Boston
Is that for the 06 or 07?
just got off the phone with marz tech. phlegm is correct. and they said that was the correct measurement for both 06 and 07.

remove the springs and the white plastic spring reducer, fully compression the stanchions and the cartridge rods.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005

I know a guy who runs 5 psi in his. He's a fairly large guy too. Although, he snapped the steerer at whistler this weekend.