Quantcast

66 vs. shiver

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
Im considering replacing my shiver DH on my giant Dh with a 05 66rc. My questions are:
- Would the 66 work as a downhill fork?
- would the weight difference be worth the slight decress in travel?
- would the 66 be as stiff as the shiver?
Thanks for any help, and btw i searched.

SGF2

Chimp
May 8, 2005
Portland
I have a 66rc on my Giant Faith. I can't talk about the Shiver cause I never tried one. My only complaint is that the 66 is Damn tall. I have a buddy with a 888 on his VP-Free and my bike is just as tall as his. The 66 super strong, I've taken it down some good trails on the North Shore. If you race, I'd get a DC, if its for recreation the 66 is very nice. I love the mobility of the SC and its fun to throw an X-up from time to time. Keep in mind the 2006 66 will be less tall. That should be something to consider

B.U.I.

Chimp
Dec 10, 2003
yeah the main question is what your using the bike for?

for freeride and shore/stunt type riding. i would go w/ 66 for sure

but your bike is really intended for racing, so i would assume you race, so i would say stick w/ the shiver for now.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
the shiver axle to crown height has to be almost 2inches shorter then the 66. and the head angle on the Giant DH is SLACK. so careful what you put on there.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
DHS said:
the shiver axle to crown height has to be almost 2inches shorter then the 66. and the head angle on the Giant DH is SLACK. so careful what you put on there.
Personally, I don't think the 66 is the right fork for that bike. However, it depends what you're usung the bike for...

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
A 888 with low rider crowns would be better and an inch shorter. that bike is slack so a 7in fork would be best(w/ normal a-c).

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I suggest a 170mm '03 Super T.

;)

BUT, if you don't want to go that route ...
I have a few friends with 66RC forks. IMO, they are dh-capable, but a good match for your bike? I don't know about that.
Weren't you looking to replcae the Shiver to save weight? Ever think about a Boxxer?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I agree with the others here. If you're racing or riding normal DH, stick with the Shiver. It's an amazing fork. The 66 will slack out your bike without the added advantage of more travel. I don't know if it'll be torsionally stiffer, but likely not; it will certainly be less stiff front to back. If you want to upgrade, get an 888.

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
I know i looked a boxxers and achully rode my friends gamuted one, and it felt great on my bike. If i was to go for a boxxer i would have to buy a new top crown or get an 05 because the turning radius with his was horrible. I see were you guys are coming from with the 66. My head angles already at 66-65 and i dont want it any slacker. Ive had a few offers on super t's and i will look further into those.