Quantcast

661 Race Lite armor

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Anybody on here use the 661 Race Lite leg armor? It looks similar in size and shape to the Dainese pads, but a helluva lot less expensive. If they work well, I may snag myself a pair. Anybody got some first-hand experience to share?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i tried some on and they seem to work pretty well, ill prob do some runs with them this week but i expect them to work well, seem to slip less than the older 661 and rockgarden ones.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I have used my Race lite pads for a year now. Before them I had the Dainese version. I have had less slipping problems with the 661 pads. The majority of slipping problems I did have had more to do with the strap adjustment then anything else. Once I figured out how loose or tight the straps needed to be I was set. Sometimes having a strap too tight caused the pad to slide.

I just got some of the new Padloacks from 661. I have used them once, one of the best items I have purchased yet. I wore my pads for three hours at a race, climbed the hill, was in and out of my truck, did all kinds of moving and never once had to reach down and adjust my pads. They also so far do not seem to be any hotter then just wearing my pads alone. The back of these is all mesh so they breath very well.

*Edit
I forgot to mention the 661 pads have been more durable than the dainese pads. The padding on my dainese ripped very easy were the 661 I have done countless slides on my legs with no more than scratches on the plastic.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by DHCorky
Here is a pic of the Dainese and 661 pads next to each other.
Whoa. Almost identical. Are those the Freestyle Dainese pads? I have a pair of the regular Dainese knee/shin pads, and they blow ass. They slide all over the place and the stupid mesh tears really easily.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
BTW, thanks for the pic, that actually is really helpful and gives me a much better idea of how the pads will look and fit. Corky, you da man! :thumb:

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Does 661 have a website? I like those Padlocks or whatever they are called. I don't like having to wear my full Dainese lowers just for the shingaurd. By the way Ben, still no bike? I got your message last weekend, I went and rode with Peter and Gordon on Tunnel.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by Li'l Dave
Does 661 have a website? I like those Padlocks or whatever they are called. I don't like having to wear my full Dainese lowers just for the shingaurd. By the way Ben, still no bike? I got your message last weekend, I went and rode with Peter and Gordon on Tunnel.
Yeah, I actually ended up riding Tunnel too. On a Demo 9. :D It was pretty freakin' sweet, super-tough trail though. That was my first time riding it.

I ain't gonna be gettin' myself a DH bike 'till summer, when I can EP a Gemini DH. Until then, I'll have to make do with my hardtail. It's all good though, I can still ride Cold Springs with my bike, so I can still have some fun. I don't think I'm ready to tackle Tunnel on my Planet X though. That'd be a little sketch.

EDIT: 661's website is www.sixsixone.com

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Dex: I think they are the freestyle pads, I can't remeber exactely.

Here is 661 website: http://www.vsportgroup.com/bicycle.html

Li'l Dave: The padlock has no padding. The shinguard you see in the picture is just part of a pad the padlock is holding in place. If you look at the Greg Minnar picture in the Minnar helmet thread he is wearing the padlocks with the normal 661 race pads.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Wait, I'm confused. Shouldn't pads be designed to stay in place by themselves? By selling an item like the Padlock, it seems to me that 661 is admitting that their pads slip too much. I don't see why you should have to buy an extra accessory just to make your pads perform properly. Seems kinda bogus to me.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Someone at 661 " Hey let's sell a knee warmer for $30 and call it a padlock!"

Nothing is cheaper or better than a pair of $17 Thor quadrant knee/shins and a pair of $15 knee warmers...

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by vitox
i tried some on and they seem to work pretty well, ill prob do some runs with them this week but i expect them to work well, seem to slip less than the older 661 and rockgarden ones.
In regards to the Rockgardn ones, I just tried some new 2004 airframes, and they didn't slip hardly at all. I was really surprised, because I usually buy all leg armor with the mind set that they will slip.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
The venting on the padlock is a good idea, it can get a little warm with normal knee warmer. However for that much money I'll just suck it up and wear my whole lowers. We're going to have to ride if you're sticking around for the summer, it'll help now I that I have a car.

the webbster

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Trondheim, Norway
Check the pics on that link on the Lisbon downtown race in case you wondered if the pads where good enough... Peat, Gracia, Minaar and a half of the field seem to think so.

jw

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
Someone at 661 " Hey let's sell a knee warmer for $30 and call it a padlock!"

Nothing is cheaper or better than a pair of $17 Thor quadrant knee/shins and a pair of $15 knee warmers...
DAMN STRAIGHT.

Also please note that these pads work great under a pair of articulated moto pants w/o knee warmers.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by dromond
DAMN STRAIGHT.

Also please note that these pads work great under a pair of articulated moto pants w/o knee warmers.
Very true. I am a big fan of the basic knee cup/warmer combo. It has served me well. I think the Padlock idea is good. I would like to have a set of well made knee "warmers" that are not insulated like my PI ones. Not gonna pay 30 bucks for them, but still a good idea.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
You have to admit that there is no pad made that stays in place 100% of the time. Every pad slips at some point. My current pads barley move, yet it bugs me I am picky like that. Some people would not even notice that the pad moved. My Dainese pads would slip all the way down below my knee on long rough runs. having the padlocks so every few runs I do not have to pull my pads up a half inch or so is worth it to me.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
You have to admit that there is no pad made that stays in place 100% of the time. Every pad slips at some point. My current pads barley move, yet it bugs me I am picky like that. Some people would not even notice that the pad moved. My Dainese pads would slip all the way down below my knee on long rough runs. having the padlocks so every few runs I do not have to pull my pads up a half inch or so is worth it to me.
I am the pickiest of the picky when it comes to pads. I've had 4 pairs of pads that I adjusted all frigging day.

My Thor moto knee shins under Answer moto pants do not move one inch even after a whole day of riding the roughest of trails.

My shadow conspiracy bmx knee pads also do not budge one inch.

For me, roach pads, Azonic hp and 661 comp (like the hp pads) all sucked. The Xtra-skin pads that I got for $17 from pricepoint were the best of the bunch (just like the rockgarden pads) but the knees still slipped down.

Thor quadrant moto knee/shins. Buy them. Crash. Love life. End of story. From one anal kneepad wearer to another.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
I cannot stand to ride in pants. My legs just do not move when I wear them.
Haha I'm the exact opposite, I love riding in pants. But yes SuspectDevice is having equally good results with knee warmers and these pads. Aren't thin, uninsulated knee warmers available? I think that's what he uses.