Quantcast

661 Subgear Base Layer - anyone tested it yet?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Just spotted this today for the first time
Link

In a never ending pursuit of innovation in protection, SIXSIXONE introduces Subgear. Subgear combines the advantages of anti-microbial compression top garment with the protection of Intella-foam and EVA foam. The result is the perfect undergarment for motocross.

Mesh window in the upper back area for added breathability

SubGear utilizes an anti-microbial 4-Way compression fabric called Dri-Kool.

Wicks moisture off skin while keeping the rider cool, even on hot days.

Strategic amounts of Intella-Foam are light and absorb sudden hard impacts more than traditional EVA foam four times its thickness.

Flat-lock stitching eliminates irritating seams.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I may just beta test it. My main concern is the shoulder padding. I've had loads of falls and never a big rib or spine impact issue, always shoulder abrasions. I've got the Rockgardn Trailstar, which seems a bit bulky.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
lmao! I scan read things generally adam and I swear it said sugarbear layer, kept thinking to myself thats KINDA creepy WTF and could be worse I guess! LOL

Now that I read it right thats kinda cool but Ill not look at it the same way, so if you get a sugarbear base layer atleast review it for us. :D

I think it looks OK especially for us that dont wear armor could be a little extra for crashing...

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
I've been using the sub gear since it came out. I definitely like the arm and shoulder protection. The lack of back protection sucks.

The subgear does work great with the leatt brace.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Got the package today. The size looks small for a "large" but it is stretchy. The shoulder pads are firmer than I thought they would be, which makes me happy. I was afraid they would be flimsy, but they have a nice solid feel, like they might actually do something. Test fit tonight and riding it this weekend.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got the package today. The size looks small for a "large" but it is stretchy. The shoulder pads are firmer than I thought they would be, which makes me happy. I was afraid they would be flimsy, but they have a nice solid feel, like they might actually do something. Test fit tonight and riding it this weekend.
Sounds like you bought yourself a Dildo!:eek:

No pics man im good I dont need to see it now! LOL

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
good thing i didn't mention my new multi-tool or that that i got the "gooey" compound on my fresh rubber, you might have puked in disgust.
LOL.... I am curious to see how the sugarbear works out.... Did you decide on what you are doing bike/shock wise..

BTW I need to take the mandown school of insurance happenings! Could have put a down on a house by now..:eek:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I pulled the safe bet and rolled a new spring on the shock for the UFO and I'm going to test that out before I make a major change. Of course, I've been checking geo numbers and looking at the classifieds and ebay for nice options.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Subgear sizing = WTF?!

I picked up the "large" because the sizing chart says to use your T-shirt size. I'm a large T-shirt guy, and if I'm feeling flashy and want to look douche' I can squeeze into a medium. Well, when the I opened the package with the "large" Subgear, it looked mighty small... like belly shirt on Britney small. I gave the material a tug and noticed that if stretched, but man, it was gonna need to stretch quite a bit. My next thought was: well, it should fit snug to stay in place.

As I ready myself to dive in, I place both arms into the sleeves and realize there is no way this thing is going to fit. It maxed out on stretch before it even got to my shoulders.

At 6'1" and 180lbs, I should be close to a large in most sizing. Looks like I may need an XL or, even an XXL. Srsly.

Time for a return.

PS - I also ordered the Race Face Zero pads for elbow and knee, also in a large. The arms fit but were too snug for more than a brief wear. The knees "fit" enough to get them on, but there was no way there would be any movement; bending my knee resulted in the fabric backing cutting into my leg. Guess I'm BEEFCAKE!

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Hmm... Seems I should have read this a little closer.

Just ordered two of the sleeveless larges. I'm 6'1" 170lbs. Wanted the shoulder pads but they were sold out. Will let you know how it works out.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Want moar info! I need to replace my armor, and I think maybe a light option works for me. a little bit of shoulder clipping and the occasional chest planet -- this may be up to it.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Just got the Sleeveless in the mail. Like was said before. If you are 6'1" 170ish lbs get the xl. I had to stretch the large to get it on but it works (I'm a fairly thin dude). Not sure how much protection this is going to give but its better then the T-shirt only route I normally ride in.

The fit is comfortable. I didn't seem to notice it on the hour long ride I did. Ill report more a little later down the road.

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
Just got the Sleeveless in the mail. Like was said before. If you are 6'1" 170ish lbs get the xl. I had to stretch the large to get it on but it works (I'm a fairly thin dude). Not sure how much protection this is going to give but its better then the T-shirt only route I normally ride in.

The fit is comfortable. I didn't seem to notice it on the hour long ride I did. Ill report more a little later down the road.
Good to know.. Im 6'1 220 and there may not be a size for us fat guys... WTF

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
just to clarify, the sleeveless version only has padding on the chest correct? Too bad they didn't add any spine protection...

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
That is correct. Sleeveless is chest only. (I believe the others are as well). Some back protection would be nice but would also add to the cost.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
it would add to the cost...but not like armor's cheap anyways I think if 661 put a spine protector of sorts on it then they might start attracting more of the non-armor wearing crowd, while i'm concerned about my chest i worry more about going OTB and catching a rock to the back...maybe that's just me

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
is there any spine protection at all?

I'm looking to buy the POC Spine VPD vest but it is kinda $$$ so I would consider the Sixsixone.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I'm 6' and 230lbs and the Lg is snug, but fits. I have the long sleeve version and the sleeves are stupid long.
I personally love the protection. I'm not a fan of big bulky plastic pads that make you feel like a football player. The subgear allows moderate protection without looking goon'd out. I hate arm scrapes, and with this gear I've yet to get one.
As for quality... well... the pads are already coming out. Seems they didn't use a thread that can handle the stretch material to hold the pads in. The forearm/elbow pads are starting to fall out, as are a few of the chest pads. I'm gonna try and find some elastic thread to re-sew them back in.
But overall, I love the pads, and don't ride without them.