Quantcast

661 Taki?

J

J5ive

Trying these high top ones at the moment. Love the shoes. But I wear them in the workshop and on the bike. 4 weeks and they are almost dead. Sucks. Will 5.10s survive dayin-dayout use?

Do I really need to have 2 diff pairs of shoes?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Agreed on the need for day to day shoes and riding shoes, but 4 weeks sounds ridiculous. 5.10's would last a lot longer than that, even if worn everyday.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
My 5.10s lasted a long time. They stand up to everyday use, but I wouldn't really recommend them for the task- one reason being that they lack a non-marking sole.

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
yes had mine few months great comfy...i got the high tops also..great grip on the flat pedals it is actualy hard to move my foot once planted on the pedals got them at moosejaw

J

J5ive

Unlike metros of the world, I like to have one pair of shoes. I like to get used to one set and often ride after work. Grippy and long lasting is asking too much?

Its not only the soul that has worn quickly. But the threads have all came undone. Pretty average product. I might go back to the DX flats, they lasted well.

And yeah, I know which shoes I bought.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I've had a pair of 30 dollar airwalks that have been around for almost 4 years of hard riding and daily use. They are just now beginning to decompose.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
If you want a really sticky bottom, it will wear out fast(er)...just like tires. The treads blowing up is just crap...5.10s don't do that in my experience. If you don't need that much tack, just get some Vans with harder compound...I wear those day to day and they last a LONG time.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Unlike metros of the world, I like to have one pair of shoes.
I think you might want to double check the definition of "metro".

J5ive said:
Grippy and long lasting is asking too much?
Think of sticky rubber tires... they wear way quicker than hard rubber. Same deal with shoes.

FWIW, I have a pair of the 661 Launch shoes, and they've worn out really quickly too (the uppers as well as the lowers).

|S2|

Chimp
May 1, 2003
Ventura
The 5.10 is more bulky and stiff compared to the 661 dually. Unfortunately they also run a bit wide so I'm back to my old beat pair.
If anyone is interested I've got a pair of 06 dually taki size us 9/euro 43, only worn twice, that I would get rid of for cheap.

Robusto

Monkey
For the last 3 years Ive used DVS's. Though they may not be a biking shoe, they have grooves right in the middle of the sole which seem to be right where I usually place my foot on the pedal. Even though they aren't what I would call soft rubber, they are super grippy, and sometimes get ripped open by the pedals. For me that's grippy enough. Oh, and theyve definately survived day to day use.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
I have had my best luck with my high-top I-PATH. They arent a true biker shoe, but their tread is just far enough apart to let the pins of my petals in. They also have nifty pocket in the tounge that is handy for putting stuff in :brows: