Quantcast

66RC on VPFree (pics)

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
Hi.

A friend got the first 66RC on his bike last week, some deal with the Norwegian dealer.

170mm travel measured 59cm axel-to-crown, 1cm lower than a 200mm 888, and 4cm higher than a 170mm 888!

Anywho, it looks absolutely KILLER!

I will get some pics showing the 66RC side by side with the 170mm 888 later on.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Holy tall ...! :eek:

It'd be killer for someone trying to slack out their ride without adding a lot of travel, though... RFX owners come to mind.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
damn those camo stickers look ugly on that frame. :nope:

i wonder if this thread will turn into a 1.5 vs. 1.125 steerer tube discussion again? :sneaky:

seems to happen whenever the marz SC forks get discussed.

ESPECIALLY when axle to crown height is mentioned.

(p.s. anyone remember how marzocchi used to list "axle:crown ratio" on their website? amusing to see a manufacturer list something that indicated they failed high school math. :D :D )

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Hmmm... I thought that the 170mm version was supposed to be lower than the 'leaked' numbers by 20mm or so. I think bulldog had mentioned 575mm. 59cm would it right around those bogus 'leaked' numbers wouldn't it?

Looks good in any case.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
btw wouldn't you WANT the sc fork to be tall on that frame anyway? otherwise the HT angle would become steeper. for frames that will get used w/ 8 inch DC, seems like a tall sC is the way to go.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
frorider said:
btw wouldn't you WANT the sc fork to be tall on that frame anyway? otherwise the HT angle would become steeper. for frames that will get used w/ 8 inch DC, seems like a tall sC is the way to go.
All the fork height with none of the travel :thumb: :D j/k

or

Maybe the bike os better off with a DC? ;) :D

It was just a big diff....1.57 inches is alot. especially when you are camparing it to an 888 :D

Still that is one bad mofo fork! :drool:

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
binary visions said:
Holy tall ...! :eek:

It'd be killer for someone trying to slack out their ride without adding a lot of travel, though... RFX owners come to mind.
I've been debating between the 7" 66RC and the 6" version for my RFX (w/ 6" rockers) for the last two months. Still uncertain, :confused: I want the 7" but I think it would be too tall, and screw with the geometry. The 6" is going to be taller than my current fork, Z150. Looks like the 6" RC is the ticket...but the 7" would go better with future frames (maybe a 7point7 :D ) What to do????

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Hey guys,

since this is my ride - I can pop in and answer some q's that might come.

First of all...the 66RC is by far the stiffeste SC I've ever tried. It doesn't feel like a SC at all actually...more like a Shiver DC. It's stiff both sideways and backforth. Handling is ofcourse like a SC though.

The numbers Jorgen posted are correct. The fork is 59cm from axel to the top of the crown.

And the ducked camotape has to be there...until Santa Cruz learns how to do a good paintjob...... ;)

Some more pictures:

Sep 10, 2001
Tom Rogers has a 66 on his VPFree... I was wishing I had that bike for a DH run we did a few weeks back... That hour XC ride on my DH bike to get to the DH was no fun...

We tried to lower the a/c but there other issues that came into play... Like knobs hitting downtubes and such... No good... But for bikes designed around 7 and 8in forks like the VPFree and Demo 9, this is a total bolt on.... Now, to see how the 170mm 66 will fit on my Mountain Cycle... Hmmm....

Brian

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So what's the head angle with the 7" 66? My free with an 8" 888 and the go-ride lowrider crowns hits somewhere between 65.5 and 66. Looks like the 7" SC is about the same, if not more slack...with an inch less travel. I'm curious because I'm thinking about the 66 myself but not sure it would make any sense to give up an inch of travel for a taller fork. I mean x-ups are fun and all but...

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
frorider said:
damn those camo stickers look ugly on that frame. :nope:

i wonder if this thread will turn into a 1.5 vs. 1.125 steerer tube discussion again? :sneaky:

seems to happen whenever the marz SC forks get discussed.

ESPECIALLY when axle to crown height is mentioned.

(p.s. anyone remember how marzocchi used to list "axle:crown ratio" on their website? amusing to see a manufacturer list something that indicated they failed high school math. :D :D )
So.... uh... I think that it should be 1.5 ST diameter... just kidding!

BTW, that is a hot fork! Keep us in tabs with on how it runs/maintenance/etc... its definitely something that I would consider for my FR bike. :drool: The side pic of your VP free looks like its really slack. What is the headangle of that bike with that Zoke installed? Looks to be somewhere around 65 or so...

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
OGRipper said:
So what's the head angle with the 7" 66? My free with an 8" 888 and the go-ride lowrider crowns hits somewhere between 65.5 and 66. Looks like the 7" SC is about the same, if not more slack...with an inch less travel. I'm curious because I'm thinking about the 66 myself but not sure it would make any sense to give up an inch of travel for a taller fork. I mean x-ups are fun and all but...
The 66RC is only 1cm shorter than a none-modified 200mm 888R, so there isn't much difference there. But it's not only x-ups that makes the difference. The weight is cut down alot, and at the same time lowered - and you get the freedom of a SC in technical sections.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
The picture of my vpfree from the side is kinda missleading. It leans a bit back, and at the same time it's when we testet with the air-preload - so the fork has close to 1bar of pressure inside - and does not sag at all.

I'll try to get some riding shots soon (guess you know how it is...always bringing the camera, never taking it out...to busy riding), and you can see it live.

(Yes, that is a pile of DHR's)

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
No. The white 02 is the same you can see on the pics of the VP Free.

I did own the black 01 DHR and the black RFX. These bikes have been around for several years, they hold up so good. When some peaople want something new, new happy riders gets them. All DHR owners knows each other in Norway!!

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
My view on it is like this:

I used to have a 888R. Which is more or less a full-on competition fork. But I also do a lot of technical freeride, and not-so-fast sections.

This fork gives me a more agile bike in the technical sections - but still gives me the benefits of the 888R when it came to sucking up the bumps when I let the vpfree loose down the mainlines.

No - it's not as stiff as the 888R when you come blazing into a turn in 35mph, and the entire bike packs up before you shoot of to the next one...but it doesn't flex much either. As I said earlier...I would put it up there with the Shiver DC when it comes to flex...just to have something to compare it to. (no - I don't compare it to the Shiver's in any other way).

It made the entire vpfree more playable and responsive...in lack of better english words. Just more fun. :D

That's about it really. :)

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
I know it's been beat to death, but I just don't get why anybody would want a 7"sc. Anyway, if there was a 4 or 5" "66" I'd be all over it. Like a beefier z1...

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
bmxr said:
I know it's been beat to death, but I just don't get why anybody would want a 7"sc. Anyway, if there was a 4 or 5" "66" I'd be all over it. Like a beefier z1...
The 66 also comes in 150mm versions...

For reasons...read my post above.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bmxr said:
I know it's been beat to death, but I just don't get why anybody would want a 7"sc.
Yes, it has been beaten to death.. Let it rest.

The horse has been killed, beaten, cut into pieces, set on fire, jumped on, then buried.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Jorgen said:
Hi.

170mm travel measured 59cm axel-to-crown, 1cm lower than a 200mm 888, and 4cm higher than a 170mm 888!

I will get some pics showing the 66RC side by side with the 170mm 888 later on.
So a "Risse" or "go-ride" 200mm 888 will actually be over an inch SHORTER than the 66...

And for the SAME travel you can get the 888 3 inches shorter (4cm stock + another 4cm for the go-ride crown)?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
-BB- said:
So a "Risse" or "go-ride" 200mm 888 will actually be over an inch SHORTER than the 66...

And for the SAME travel you can get the 888 3 inches shorter (4cm stock + another 4cm for the go-ride crown)?
or you could get an '02-earlier monster t: 175mm travel, 550.5 axle crown according to marzocchi's 1999 manual. 9.5 lbs isn't _that_ bad.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
590 AC height, thats 20mm more than an 8 inch Boxxer! Thats perfect for people who want to slack out their 7" bike or run an SC on their DH bike. Brian P was explaining this to me yesterday. Seeing it makes a lot of sense. Gotta make a mental note of this.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I've never seen one of these forks in person, so I have a couple issues in my mind:

Are the reports of no flex really true, or just people trying to defend their new favorite fork? I have a couple friends with 8" 888's, and they say that they feel more flex than any other fork of simlar travel and quality (7" and 8" DC forks). How would forks get stiffer when one crown goes away and the bottom crown stays the same size? I could understand the lateral flex being less if they're compared to an upside-down fork (eg: shiver), but how do they compare to a higher end DC with a brake arch with similar travel and weight (super T? boxxer?).

BTW- I measured the head angle on that VPFree to be about 60 degrees (ruler and protracter on the monitor), I'd be interested to get a real measurement on it. Does it feel as slack as it looks?

Sep 10, 2001
OK... I just checked with Tom here... He thinks his VPFree with the 170mm 66RC is 66.5 on th HA... He said he will try to remember to check it tonight...

Brian

EDIT * 65.5 is the true measurement... Turns out he brought the bike in today...

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
zane said:
I've never seen one of these forks in person, so I have a couple issues in my mind:

Are the reports of no flex really true, or just people trying to defend their new favorite fork? I have a couple friends with 8" 888's, and they say that they feel more flex than any other fork of simlar travel and quality (7" and 8" DC forks). How would forks get stiffer when one crown goes away and the bottom crown stays the same size?
Magic. it's pure magic. The 'M' molded into the arch stands for Magic.

btw the bottom crown doesn't stay the same size. it gets bigger and reaches deeper.