Quantcast

6Point mini DH spring help

djb

Monkey
Apr 6, 2006
VanCity
Ok, so I had a deal for a Perp but it fell through. I've decided to just bite the bullet and build up the 6Point frame I have sitting in my room that I was trying to sell.

Anyways, I plan on going for a mini DH type build, and using it as a do it all bike.

I'm hoping some people on here have or do ride them, as I have a question regarding spring rates. I know the stock bikes come with pretty light springs, 300lb for the smaller sizes.

I weigh about 150lbs, can I get away with using a 250lb spring? I've heard if the shock is undersprung it can cause damage, and I'd rather not be stuck with nothing to ride because of that. I can get a great deal on a 250lb Ti spring, hence my reason for asking.

I'll be running a short shock.

Thanks for any tips or advice!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If you are running a different length/stroke of shock from stock, then information about the stock shock will be of on use. You will have a different rate curve, and different travel, both requiring a different spring.

My best suggestion is go to TFTuned and enter your specific set up in their spring calculator. If it is close, the 250 might work.

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
What davep said... But just for reference, I ride a 6 Point with a Vivid. It has the same stroke as the stock DHX Air but has a .25" shorter eye-to-eye. That change dropped the bb and slackened out the head angle to about 66.5 degrees... As far as the spring goes, I weigh 170 and ride a 350# Ti spring.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
What davep said... But just for reference, I ride a 6 Point with a Vivid. It has the same stroke as the stock DHX Air but has a .25" shorter eye-to-eye. That change dropped the bb and slackened out the head angle to about 66.5 degrees... As far as the spring goes, I weigh 170 and ride a 350# Ti spring.
That sounds sweet! No trouble with tire/ frame interference? What is your bb height now?

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
That sounds sweet! No trouble with tire/ frame interference? What is your bb height now?
The bottom bracket sits at about 13.5" now. As far a tire rub goes, it's only happened once after overshooting a drop and landing ten to flat. Other than that I've experienced no problems.