Quantcast

7 Springs Is Back - In a Big Way

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Here is a x-post from the mid atlantic dh forum...

By the end of summer the back side of the mtn will be open and there will be 2 lifts running. Spangler and DeVall are laying out lines all over the mtn...

Brungeman, My brothers and a bunch of our crew are all building like crazy as well.

Anyone on the east coast should check this out soon...

Highlights:

Fast flowy jump trail '007'
Super connecter with some great woodwork and natural terrain
EC1 & EC2 (Eric Carter's) Trail - Really fun swoopy dh trail
Satelite dish in the works they are bending metal now
Back side is going to be long DH style runs with alot of great rock trannys
Big tables and hips to end out the run back to lift
Fast lifts
Foggy goggle is opening for beer drinking :cheers:

Few taken by springs folks this weekend, we will get some good photos up soon:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
RELEASE: IMMEDIATE
TELEPHONE: (814) 352-2016
DATE: JUNE 26, 2008

EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT: SEVEN SPRINGS FREE RIDE WEEKEND

JULY 12 – 13, 2008

SEVEN SPRINGS, Pa. – Seven Springs Bike Park is pleased to announce the 2008 FREE Ride Weekend, July 12 – 13, 2008.

The Bike Park Crew has been building some sweet new trails in the Seven Springs Bike Park and would like to invite riders to come ride the park for FREE – That’s right, unlimited FREE lift tickets all weekend long! The high-speed, six-passenger chairlift will be running extended hours from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., July 12 – 13.

Additionally, there will be FREE bicycle test rides from Kona, Trek Factory, Trek WSD and Santa Cruz Bicycles. In addition to their standard fleet, Trek will be making a special delivery of 2008 Remedy and Session freeride bikes. All combined, there will be more than 100 bikes available for riders to test ride at no charge.

Riders can choose between a variety of chairlift-accessed trails ranging from entry-level cross-country trails to expert-only downhill and freeride trails. Plenty of flowy, fun and exciting trails for riders looking for a mild bike path to share with their family or an epic freeride trail complete with ladder bridges, rock drops, fall-line sections and 20+ foot jumps.

Of course, it’s also nice to have a good après ride party, so the Foggy Goggle Bar is the place for music, $2 drafts and a barbecue starting at 11 a.m. each day. And for riders who want to stay all weekend, there is a special lodging rate starting at $135 available for FREE Ride participants. On top of all that, Seven Springs is even giving away a new bike to one lucky rider.

How do riders get involved in the FREE Ride Weekend? Just show up at the Foggy Goggle bar on July 12 and 13 with the proper safety gear to ride the park and test ride bikes for FREE. Call (866) 437-1300 early to reserve your lodging, since the special rate is first-come-first-served and the hotel is almost full!

About Seven Springs Mountain Resort
Seven Springs Mountain Resort, located in Seven Springs, Pa., is the state’s largest ski and four-season family resort and was recently rated the number one resort in the mid-Atlantic region by the readers of SKI magazine. The resort is easily accessible from either exit 91 or 110 of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Seven Springs Mountain Resort can accommodate more than 5,000 overnight guests in its renovated 10-story high-rise hotel, nearly 1,000 condominiums and town homes, cabins and chalets.

For more information on Seven Springs, visit http://www.7springs.com or call (800) 452-2223.
Code:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Sexy sexy sexy. Good of 7 Springs to step up this big. Take advantage!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
damn a 7hour drive from CT... how long are the runs?
front side prob 3 min tops if you are SMOKIN

back side 5 min if you are going at race pace...

if you are having fun 10-20 min stopping an playing around...

just got off the phone again, a ton of big fr stuff planned gaps, lots of metal bending for woodwork...

i am going up sunday to shoot photos and ride just wait this place is legit now, they have the $ and the drive to make it a destination

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
More updates from the park today...

They have 4 full trails open for shredding on the front side with a 5th mapped out which looks really sick, it's a dh style trail super flowy and fast.

Big news today was a pumptrack under construction right at the bottom of the alpine meadows slope, the idea is to have everyone park there, ride all day, hit the pump track and bike wash at the end. It all comes together really well. The pump track is coming together fast, the guys know what they are doing and i cant wait to get the hardtail up there.

Sounds like they have some huge plans for hits on the mountain like a possible wall ride and a shipping container gap on-drop off...

Here are some pics from today, i am pounded, we did a million runs so just some pump track stuff...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wow. I'm happy for the western pennsylvania based riders. You can be on the mountain in a little over 1hrs drive from Pittsburgh.

It's unfortunate that it took them 10 years to get their mtb program back up and running. I have fond memories of riding and racing there '94-96. I'd go up Sundays, just to ride the terrain. Nice mountain.

It seems like some $$$s have been invested. I wonder if they looked @ what snowshoe was doing & wised up.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah basically the story is that springs was bought by an extremely ambitious buyer which has a good know how of running a resort. The previous owners were a very old school family that just wasn&#8217;t going to make it happen.

As for 'stealing' another idea, hardly not...

There are some creative minds at work and the plans are good, like dump said 1hr from here? It's nuts, the trails are rockin after just over a month of construction.

And now offering free riding for a weekend? I am trying to put together a SEASONS viewing party

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I was up there last week for an work/industry meeting, Wednesday through Friday, and I got to say I am mighty impressed. Only got to walk all of the trails, even though I had my dh bike with me, cause they were still on weekend only schedule for now. The new trail they were working on caught me by surprise, as it had old sections of the last national they had up there...as evidenced by the Visa course tape I noticed laying in the dirt piles. Met Judd and Randy, both super nice guys and really into what they are doing with 7 Springs....some big names making it happen up there, but their passion for the sport alone can make 7 Springs a killer place.

Let's face it, in this time of high gas prices and the economy struggling, a place like 7 Springs dumping money into a mtb program is a huge breath of fresh air. I applaud the new owners for stepping up and continuing the growth of 7 Springs as a year round destination location/resort. They need a few more trails to really make it worth the trip for many, but that will come with time......hell, the drive from Washington DC doesn't seem like a bad one for a new place to ride at this point, and it'll only get more appealing as the summer goes on.

Personally, I am really loving it that the mid-atlantic states now have four serious riding locations/resorts within very reasonable drives (4 hrs'ish)....Snowhsoe, Diablo, 7 Springs, Wisp......and a few amazing riding spots further north (Platty, Whiteface, Highland, etc)......if Timberline and a few others can continue step up their program in the coming months this summer, it's shaping up to be an amazing year for east coast dh'ing!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wasn't aware they were under new ownership. If they keep this going for a couple of years and have events with both xc, gravity events, public events, seven springs in the summer time will be back like the old days... but bigger.

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
going up for the "free weekend"

is it easy to get around(find all the runs)? hate to drive 8 hours there and back to find out i missed the best run on the mountain.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah totally easy everything is signed, but we can show you around seriously get ahold of us...you can miss us...

black transition blindside for myself, my brother rides george ryann's prophet baby blue cut paint job with blue i9's...and the other is on a session...

we will be doing runs all day or shoveling

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Wasn't aware they were under new ownership. If they keep this going for a couple of years and have events with both xc, gravity events, public events, seven springs in the summer time will be back like the old days... but bigger.

Dump, yeah man sucks i never had a chance to ride with you (damn college) but they really seem to be stepping up. They are still doing a 24 hour event in the late summer early fall which should be a cool vibe if some gravity guys are around as well...

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Good to see. I'm still considering buying my parent's property (next to Steel City MX track) which is less than an hour away. This gives me some more incentive. I miss real dirt. I just don't know if I can give up the Cali weather, surfing and the Sierra winters.

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
yeah totally easy everything is signed, but we can show you around seriously get ahold of us...you can miss us...

black transition blindside for myself, my brother rides george ryann's prophet baby blue cut paint job with blue i9's...and the other is on a session...

we will be doing runs all day or shoveling
thanks man for the offer, i will definitely take you up on the guided tour. will be riding a red big hit with a white 888. should be up there around 11am or so.
thanks again, Todd

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Personally, I am really loving it that the mid-atlantic states now have four serious riding locations/resorts within very reasonable drives (4 hrs'ish)....Snowhsoe, Diablo, 7 Springs, Wisp......and a few amazing riding spots further north (Platty, Whiteface, Highland, etc)......if Timberline and a few others can continue step up their program in the coming months this summer, it's shaping up to be an amazing year for east coast dh'ing!
You should go to timberline, there is already more ridable trails and terrain than 7 Springs and WISP, more vert and excellent places to explore due to all the former X-C race and MX trails on the mountain.

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Many fond memories of racing at 7S as well!

Photos look awesome! Nice work.

We should talk about a serous event, something "off the chain" DH, Dual, Super D, Slopestyle! I know some peolple who know some people that would like to be involved.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
of course that is how it goes on the east coast...springs has a great atmosphere for a slopstyle as for dh im sure a race is in the cards...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
You should go to timberline, there is already more ridable trails and terrain than 7 Springs and WISP, more vert and excellent places to explore due to all the former X-C race and MX trails on the mountain.
let the trash talk begin...im sure timberline has some good stuff as the area and resort are great as well...

springs however has the drive and the knowhow to build a serious bike park...we can all get along...

the more resorts the better

be350ka

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
let the trash talk begin...im sure timberline has some good stuff as the area and resort are great as well...

springs however has the drive and the knowhow to build a serious bike park...we can all get along...

the more resorts the better
Agreed!! Every park has to start somewhere. I think that it is hilarious when people get into the "my park is better than your park" discussion. WHO CARES, you have a good place to ride. That is all that matters.

Plus, coming from State College, it is a little over a 2 hour drive to 7 springs which is very nice when comparing it to the drive to Diablo (3.5).

Keep up the good work guys. I will see you for the free weekend to check things out and quite frequently after that I would suspect.

OH, could you please make sure that I get a run or two on the new Session 88. Thanks.:biggrin:

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
springs however has the drive and the knowhow to build a serious bike park...
I love the fact that 7 Springs is approaching this as a valid business, they've looked at the financials and have a plan for achieving a return on their investment in the trailbuilding. If more resorts put this kind of smart business thinking into their mountain bike programs, the entire industry would be much, much better off. The Northeast bike park market is heating up with some great competition, and that competition will force all the businesses to better serve their customers (us!)...