Quantcast

70s frame, new components?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Early 70's Fuji "finest" frame & fork,56cm c to c seat tube,54.5 c to c top tube.Chro-moly steel with forged drop outs without braze-ons.This would make an excellent fixie or single speed bike.Chrome head tube lugs,fork ends,half chromed seat stays and chain stays.Also chromed, forged fork crown with chrome on seat tube and down tube,in other words...lots of chrome!

link
it's steel and looks like it might be a close enough geometry for me... and it's cheap, like me.

question is, could I move all my components over? Does an old bike have the right size BB for modern components? Is the rear drop-out spacing wide enough for wheel + 9spd cassette? Other concerns?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
chicodude01 said:
This was a hint too..........
yes yes, saw that, but wanted to ask.

Damn smartass teenagers. You need to look to your elders as role models! Well, not me.

J

JRB

Just buy my tomasso frame. I'll make you a deal. I just don't know what it is yet. Julie won't let me buy stuff to build it up. It will be cheap, like you.

J

JRB

Is it what?? I don't get it.

*my 105 shifters came while I was gone and I got in trouble. :(

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pau11y said:
LO, get this frame. You can put a riser stem and some HS shims and get the 5 centimeters (about 2") very easily.
huh? Do you mean get Loco's frame?

My current ride has a stem riser... I want to get away from that.

splat

Nam I am
My Wife has a 79 Fuji Professional , It Had Suntour Supreb Pro , top O the Line stuff for 1979 well a couple years ago I bought a New Groupo for it , a Nice Campy 9 Speed setup , took the bike to a local frame builder and he Spread the Rear triangle for us and Re-aligned the frame. She still loves that Bike !

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, Mr. Sheldon Brown has an opinion about this, http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html, and tells you how to "cold set" the frame to accommodate a wider hub.

Most likely the Fuji frame is 120mm spacing, and a road 9 speed is 130mm.

I should note than Brown gives ample warning not to do this, but obviously it can be done.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Back in my shop days a guy brought in a mid 70's steel Colnago and wanted to fit 10 speed Campy record to and a columbus Muscl fork.

Sent the frame to a frame builder, who spread the stays for spacing while keeping alignment. Came back, went together pretty nicely. However if the frame is alloy different story though.

Moral of the story is, it can be done but I doubt there are many older frames you'd really want to try it with.