Quantcast

7Point DW-Link shock play - help me make it go away.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I have an '06 IH 7.5, with a 5th Element. No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of the slop at the lower shock mount down by the BB. The eyelet on the shock isn't ovalized, the shock mount on the frame doesn't look/feel ovalized, and the hardware is as round as any other I've ever seen. The bolt has been tightened to little, to spec, and too much, but nothing seems to help.

The only thing I can think of is the DU bushing, but the bike has less than 50 miles on it, so that doesn't make too much sense.

Something is the matter here - has anyone dealt with this?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
First thing to do is take the shock out and inspect for play or wear. You should have no problem tightening down the hardware on the 7POINT.

Some of the older 5th elements did have defective hardware but an 06 should be OK. Check it out. Let IH customer service now I am sure they can help you to troubleshoot.

Dave

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
sure movement is not in your shock?
Nope, it is moving at the eyelet. With the shock completely off, I can't get any play at all from the damper shaft, body, or even the spring, for that matter. The rebound and compression both work fine, too.

First thing to do is take the shock out and inspect for play or wear. You should have no problem tightening down the hardware on the 7POINT.

Some of the older 5th elements did have defective hardware but an 06 should be OK. Check it out. Let IH customer service now I am sure they can help you to troubleshoot.

Dave
I already did the first part, and I couldn't see/feel anything wrong. I've dealt with worn DU bushings before on a Swinger I had on a Giant DH, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. As for the second part, is it possible that I got some left-over hardware from an '05 5th?

Thanks for the help everyone!

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
I've had shock play issues from time to time on my 05 7point.
Recently I installed a Roco WC using the latest set of hardware that was on my 5thE. No more play. Go figure...

BTW, the bike performs much better with the Roco.
Search the IH forum at MTBR, there's alot of info about the infamous 7point shock play...