Quantcast

8 Speed derailleur and shifters?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
It's been a very long time since I've run an 8 speed cassette, but I've heard from people have gone back after running 9 speed setups that everything just shifts way better.

Since my DH bike got jacked last month I'm building up a temp bike until the frame I want hits production; I figured now would be a great time to experiment with things. I have no idea where I can find a decent 8 speed short cage derailleur and shifter though. I'm guessing that I can't just run a normal 9 speed der with an 8 speed shifter because the 8 speed chain is too thick.... right? :twitch:

Those of you that have gone back to 8 speed, what sort of setup are you running?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just picked up the sweetest set of XTR 8spood shifters. I'll be running it with a new saint mech and an 11-30 cogset. Unfortunately, none of these parts have arrived so I cannot comment on how they perform, but from what I have read, everybody suggests that the 9 speed derailleurs are compatible with 8 speed chains. It's the shifter that does all the work, and of course the cogset spacing. I'll report as soon as I know the saint mech clears, as that's my biggest concern. I would imagine that shimano wouldn't make the tolerances so tight that the chain won't clear, but I won't know until the end of the week.

I must admit, I have more confidence in the saint being backwards compatible than the newer 105 10speed compatible stuff. Here's to hoping.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Sandwich is right. New derailleurs work 100% fine with 8-spd systems, so there's no trouble there. The only issue is finding 8-spd shifters - it's becoming more and more difficult, especially for those of us who are living so far in the past that we're still using twisters.

--JP

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
From my own research, current brand new options include:
XT triggers, black, old school, and I think they only come in pairs
SRAM attack, same
SRAM X4 and lower.

I have heard of SRAM x7 in 8 speed, but couldn't find any.

I was going to SRAM it up, but found these NOS XTRs and went shimano. The only derailleur I could find with short cage/pulley wheel setup was the new Saint. If I had to do it on my own time again, it would probably be the x4s and an x7 derailleur, or keep searching till I could find the matching shifter.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
I'm running the new Saint with a SRAM Attack 8sp shifter on a SRAM 12-26 cassette and SRAM PC38 chain for a few months now and it's flawless. Shifts are crisp and it needs way less maintenance than a 9sp - I used the same setup (the same shifter, chain and cogs) with the old Saint for 2 years and only once needed to turn the barrel on the shifter 1 click (after the casings broke in). No issues with the chain width. I'd love some better shifter but i got used to the SRAM layout.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks for that! That's the cassette I wanted to run, but I found an 11-30 in my parts bin and it's the XTR ti-cogged 209g model...too good not to use.

Monkey
on both my Bullit and the Slash I'm running XT 8 speed shifters, one with Lx and one with xt rear derailuers. Shifting is crip as **** with Sram 870 chains.

universal carries the 8 speed pods, a little pricy at 50 each side but well worth it.

Last edited: