Quantcast

8 year old killed firing uzi at gun show

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
WTf is wrong with people? What sort of parent in their right mind though that this was a good idea? Give an 8 year old an automatic weapon when many adults cannot control the damn things properly.

Screw rednecks. I hope the NRA has some sort of ridiculous it was the 8 year old's fault excuse for this. Remember the redneck gun nut slogan folks, guns don't kill people, people kill people!

Oh, really?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D94309881&show_article=1

WESTFIELD, Mass. (AP) - An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.
The boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, police Lt. Lawrence Vallierpratte said.

Police said the boy, Christopher Bizilj (Bah-SEAL) of Ashford, Conn., was with a certified instructor and called the death a "self-inflicted accidental shooting."

As the boy fired the Uzi, "the front end of the weapon went up with the backfire and he ended up receiving a round in his head," police Lt. Hipolito Nunez said. The boy later died at a hospital.

The boy's father and older brother were also there at the time, a gun club member and school official said. Francis Mitchell, a longtime member and trustee of the club, said he saw the boy's father supporting his son from behind after the shooting.

Although the death appears to be an accident, officials were investigating.

It is legal in Massachusetts for children to fire a weapon if they have permission from a parent or legal guardian and are supervised by a properly certified and licensed instructor, Lt. Hipolito Nunez said. The name of the instructor helping the boy was not released.

The event ran in conjunction with C.O.P Firearms and Training

"It's all legal & fun—No permits or licenses required!!!!" reads the ad, posted on the club's Web site.

Messages left on answering machines for the club and the C.O.P. group were not returned Monday.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Gun control means using both hands.

Both tiny, weak hands.

What a fvcking shame.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Small people firing guns too powerful for them is simply a hilarious tradition. Just check out all the youtube videos of dainty women getting smacked in the face when firing large revolvers or shotguns. Who knew it could end poorly?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Small people firing guns too powerful for them is simply a hilarious tradition. Just check out all the youtube videos of dainty women getting smacked in the face when firing large revolvers or shotguns. Who knew it could end poorly?

I know! Like the tragic outcome of the freak gasoline fight accident in Zoolander!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
WTf is wrong with people? What sort of parent in their right mind though that this was a good idea? Give an 8 year old an automatic weapon when many adults cannot control the damn things properly.
the question remains: did dad pull it from his cold, dead hands?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I don't have kids, I don't like kids, I don't feel bad when I see kids fall of their bikes and get hurt but WHO THE F^CK gives a 8 year old anything more powerfull than a BB gun?!?!?!?!:clapping:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
aren't gun freaks a bunch of festering fa.. -- erm -- latent homosexuals anyway?

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Seriously poor judgement on the parent's behalf.

I didn't get my first gun until I was nine. It was a .22 rifle, which is perfectly appropriate for a responsible kid after proper instruction and skill testing.

Uzi? Hell no, definitely a tool for the experienced.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Seriously poor judgement on the parent's behalf.

I didn't get my first gun until I was nine. It was a .22 rifle, which is perfectly appropriate for a responsible kid after proper instruction and skill testing.

Uzi? Hell no, definitely a tool for the experienced.
Thanks for being the voice of reason.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Back in the 1800's nine year old kids were already out hunting and helping to support their families (then married and starting families in their teens), is it assumed kids today are somehow less intelligent or less capable of responsibility?

Our current culture keeps them immature for as long as possible, then complains about kids being irresponsible. Which do we want? Numbskulls or productive young adults, who deserve respect and trust?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i think you mean 9 y.o. white kids.

you never heard of a self-inflicted uzi shot when we still had slavery, now did you?

ed: dammit - sniped!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Back in the 1800's nine year old kids were already out hunting and helping to support their families
Don't need to go back to the 1800's. In my hometown in Ohio, nine year olds (and younger) were hunting in the 1980s and I'm assuming there are nine year old kids hunting there today.

Are you familiar with existing gun laws and hunting licenses, or are you just (again) waxing poetic about **** you don't understand.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Back in the 1800's nine year old kids were already out hunting and helping to support their families (then married and starting families in their teens), is it assumed kids today are somehow less intelligent or less capable of responsibility?
Think of all the big game a "normal" 8 year old could bag with an Uzi.

My daughter just turned 8 and we are heading out on a shooting trip next weekend to teach her about gun safety and the dangers of mishandled weapons.

I don't own a gun, but many of my friends do. My wife and I both feel it is important for her to understand them and know how dangerous they are. But I'm also not going to hand her a Glock 21 and tell her to hold tight.

Meh, I was trained by relatives and at a day camp in the use of firearms, and used to wander around with a rifle at a very early age...

I think the fault in this incident is not that of handing the kid an Uzi but in not taking the time to train properly, which you couldn't possibly do in a show. Muzzle rise on full automatic, especially with a sheet metal weapon, is not an intuitive concept when you're starting out. The instructor, the show organizers and the parent(s) seem to share about equal culpability in this incident.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Meh, I was trained by relatives and at a day camp in the use of firearms, and used to wander around with a rifle at a very early age...

I think the fault in this incident is not that of handing the kid an Uzi but in not taking the time to train properly, which you couldn't possibly do in a show. Muzzle rise on full automatic, especially with a sheet metal weapon, is not an intuitive concept when you're starting out. The instructor, the show organizers and the parent(s) seem to share about equal culpability in this incident.
I bet that rifle you were carrying wasn't full-auto.

Firearms training or not, putting a full-auto weapon into a hands of child is not taking gun safety seriously, with the obvious results.

Officer Manimal has shown his son how to fire an assault weapon, but I doubt he was like, "go fire away son!"

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Are you familiar with existing gun laws and hunting licenses, or are you just (again) waxing poetic about **** you don't understand.
Haha, you're one to talk.

As:
- a US Army combat arms veteran. (That means someone who is trained to fight on the front lines for a living, in case you didn't know.)
- Awarded the "Expert Marksman" title in both rifle, pistol and hand grenade usage.
- Someone who used to be in law enforcement.
- Someone with immediate family in law enforcement now.
- Someone who has taken rediculous numbers of "safety courses" in Kalifornia just to be able to legally carry a concealed weapon.
- Someone who has been hunting his whole life, and has the utmost respect for living things, as opposed to those who eat the meat of creatures they will never know from the supermarket.

I'd say my opinions are legitimate.

Let's hear your qualifications, what makes you an "expert" on firearms and firearms safety?

Or are you simply "waxing poetic" on subjects you know nothing about?

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Instructions are readily available on how to modify a Ruger 10/22 into an open-bolt light machine gun with hand-tools, should the spit hit the fan.

Unfortunately the cycle rate is something like 1,800 rounds per minute, so a 40 round magazine simply goes "poof". Just not designed to be full-auto, and thus more of a novelty than anything.

Heavy-barrel bolt-action varmint rifle is a lot more effective anyhow, in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. In a duel I'll take the single-shot bolt gun anyday; the other guy can't have one of the evil-black "assault rifles" Feinswine and Shoxer are so hysterical about. As the Marines say, "One shot one kill."

Say, what every happened to the ungodly bloodbath in the streets that the liberals said was sure to happen after the expiration of the federal assault weapon ban?

Not even a blip in the crime statistics. What a surprise.

Last edited:

Firearms training or not, putting a full-auto weapon into a hands of child is not taking gun safety seriously, with the obvious results.

Officer Manimal has shown his son how to fire an assault weapon, but I doubt he was like, "go fire away son!"
No it wasn't, but I still hold that it might not be unreasonable with adequate training.