Quantcast

823 wheelset weights!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK Im used to running my I9s and different rims usually in the 550-600g per rim range. Not because I was weight watching but the rims I like run there so its where I have stayed..

I just got a set of 823s (Brand new) laced to wtb hubs superduty paid $220 for the wheelset shipped!
Couple of questions????
Q1: $220! is this a good or average price???
Q2: Whats the weight of your wheelset sporting 823 hoops
Q3: Whats your experience on them, super tough, bend or crack how easy do they flat spot etc...?

I know the hubs are not I9s or kings but they have good engagment and are strong. They will make for a good backup wheelset and Ill keep different tires on these (Big Bettys UST's 2.4) and Muddy MArys on the I9 set up.

The wheels came in at
1125 front (seemed kind of heavy)
1257 rear (seemed fine)
2382g total wheel weight

I looked at I9s laced to them and they are 1059 front and 1252 rear total 2311 so 70g diff mainly in the wtb front set up over the I9s.

Not light but apparently bomb proof strong Just seems heavy or maybe its a typical builds on these rims...

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
B-Crew, what up? Up late doing some work and caught your post here...

Not light but apparently bomb proof strong Just seems heavy or maybe its a typical builds on these rims...
The weigh of a single 32H Mavic 823 w/o the eyelets is 662g.

A 32H 823 with the eyelets is 716g

Add 5g for the UST valve stem and that brings you to 721g in total for an 823.

Compare that to about 577g for a Mavic 721. This may account for why you feel these wheels built up a bit on the hefty side.

Check out the Weight Archives over at Sicklines - he's got TONS of pics of actual weights that aren't listed - just do a search in the pic gallery.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hows it goin?
Been a bit....

Yeah I was mainly concerned with 823 set ups only, I can lace about anything to my I9s and be super light and pimp but the 823s are my hardcore set up for giving the I9s a break. I hear 823s are supposed to be super strong...

I had some reservations paying $220 shipped, dont know if that was a good deal or average.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I haven't had personal experience on the 823's yet, but from what I've seen on friend's rigs - they do seem to be pretty burly. The rim lips don't really deform that much from impact. Again - this is just what I have observed - not actual saddle time.

As far as pricing goes - a new 823 goes for around $80 to $90 these days if I'm not mistaken, so I'd say the price sounds about right...

EDIT: Wait a sec - the whole wheelset (front and rear - meaning two new 823's and a new WTB Super Duty hubset) was $220???

Last edited:

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
$220 ship is...ummm....pretty spectacular. It's tough to find the rim only for under around $88 per. Up here in the Great White North retail is $150 per rim.

So yeah, fricken good deal.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yes , two new 823 hubs (32 hole)
one 12x150 Rear hub wtb super duty
one 20mm front hub wtb super duty
spokes, eyelets, schraders built and delivered BRAND NEW!
F me running... (!)

Where the $#%& did you get these from?!?!!

I want a deal like that...

:eek::D

EDIT: Ahhhh OK. I thought you picked them up from an online shop somewhere... I was gonna say - what's the web address?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I ran them for over a year laced up to dt 440's. I found them amazing no problems at all. They still have no cracks or flat spots or anything they are strong rims thats forsure. I got mine at at a very respectable price as well 350 brand new with the dt hubs was a good find for me since the rear hub alone retails for almost that much, overall you made a good choice. As for the weight mine sit around 1000 grams for the front and 1200 for the rear. Im no longer using these as my main wheel set they are now on my hardtail and drilled out including the valve stem hole so that i can use schrader tubes and they are still going well with no problems.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
weight sounds about right the 823s are fairly heavy. I have a pair laced to hope proII that i'm into my 3rd season with. I have a love and hate relationship with them. Love them because there bombproof rarely have to touch them with the spoke key. They've survived 2 trips to the alps (2 mega avalanches) 2 seasons racing and 2 winters of abuse. Changed the bearings once but other than that they've been maintenance free. Not so much as a broken spoke. The rims are still fairly true have no flat spots still seal up tubeless ok. I keep wanting to change them to shed some weight, but everytime i think about it i find it hard to give up that kinda durability.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Here is what a nice hand built wheelset cost with DT hubs. Dt swiss 440 hubs are nicer hubs but they are not 700.00 nicer. You got a sweet deal.

Your Kit Contains the following items:
Rear Hubs DT Swiss 440-FR Rear Hubs
- 135mm x 32 Hole x 12mm View Change Remove
Rear Rims Mavic EX823 UST Disc Rim 08
- 26 x 32 Hole View Change Remove
Nipples Brass Nipples
- Black 16mm (UST Wheelsets) View Change Remove
Spokes DT Swiss Revolution Butted Spokes
- 2.0-1.5mm Black View Change Remove
Front Rims Mavic EX729 Disc Rim 08
- 26 x 32 Hole View Change Remove
Front Hubs DT Swiss 440-FR 20mm Front Hub
- 32 Hole 110mm Spacing View Change Remove

Your Total: $928.83
Save This Kit - Purchase This Kit

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I've been running 823's for about 2 and a half years now. No dents, no cracks, never broke a spoke on them, almost never had to true them.

Their a bit heavy but I don't see them ever letting me down.

ridenorcal

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Gnar-Cal
mine come in around 2400g, but they are built up pretty burly (36h, DT swiss 440s, DT comp. db spokes). strong as hell though, they are awesome wheels. if you wanted to shed some weight I'd suggest Sapim CX-ray spokes for a super pimp (and expensive) wheelset.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How are sapim CX-ray spokes! Are they semi tough any info compared to 14/14g spokes. I literally dont know 2 things at all when it comes to bikes 1- building wheels and 2 adjusting the rear der. I like to just finagle the rest of my bike and ride!

Info on those spokes and how much lighter they are than the 14/15gauge thats on it??????

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
You running them tubeless with UST tires, Stan's, or tubes?

In my experience you really don't pay a weight penalty compared with other wheels if you run them tubeless.

I compared weights with my friends, one had 5.1ds and the other 721s. Depending on the tube used (Flyweight or Welterweight), the 823s were not much heavier. With the welterweight tube the 823s were only slightly heavier, i dont remember exact weights it was less than 100g for the entire wheelset.

With the flyweight tubes, the difference was larger. Although I dont know many people that can ride DH without flatting the flyweight tubes (I sure as hell cant, I flat Freeride tubes)

So basically for a very small weight penalty you get a super strong rim, and will never have to worry about flatting.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've been running the 823's for 1.5 season and they hold up great. Landed shoft (on a flat ledge) from a 3.5m drop and it only ended with a small dent. I'm also a heavy wheel abuser (2 sets od old deemax gone in 2.5 seasons) and the 823's seem to hold up amazingly well (even on 32H). I run my 823's as my regular wheel and don't worry about the weight.

BTW. Any1 heard any rumors about new mavic ust rim?

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
I have the same wheelset and mine came in at 2140. I built mine with alloy nipples and butted spokes(wheelsmith on the front(free) and dt's on the rear). The wheelsmith butted spokes were ~10 grams lighter/32 since the butted section is longer, I think I took ~280mm butted dt's and cut them down to 252ish to run the 16mm alloy nipples, dt's butted section is pretty short on 250ish length spokes.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Well, I don't know the weights on them, but they are really light.

I have mavic 823's laced with dt revolution spokes and hope pro 2 hubs.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Info on those spokes and how much lighter they are than the 14/15gauge thats on it??????
I threw 64 on there this summer and unfortunately I don't have the exact weight written down but it is somewhere around 150-160g/32 at 260mm. Great spokes, but are you really willing to spend an extra 150$ on spokes to save 50-60 grams off the wheelset?:crazy:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I threw 64 on there this summer and unfortunately I don't have the exact weight written down but it is somewhere around 150-160g/32 at 260mm. Great spokes, but are you really willing to spend an extra 150$ on spokes to save 50-60 grams off the wheelset?:crazy:
Possibly, :D I just picked up a set of dt 440 hubs 12x150 rear 20mm front 32 hole for $75 shipped. I need a new bearing but thats about it so I can spare a few $ on spokes! :thumb:

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Possibly, :D I just picked up a set of dt 440 hubs 12x150 rear 20mm front 32 hole for $75 shipped. I need a new bearing but thats about it so I can spare a few $ on spokes! :thumb:
Damn! How'd you get that deal? However the DT hubs are heavier than the WTB's by more than 50 grams(I think it is close to 100g for the set) but the star drive mechanism is awesome, I like my 440's more than my WTB's.

How many wheelsets do you have for one bike?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Should have 3 by march! :thumb: Got mud tires, dry tires, intermediate tires and semi slick tires. I want to just swap a wheel vs. tires as all is tubeless! :D
I do the same thing with forks, buy extra races.

I9s will probably be laced to the stans rims powder coated white.
823s will stay laced to the wtbs (prob. take the 823s and powder coat white and replace tire labels)
DT 440s laced to 721s and go stans again rims powder coated white.

Its the Formula rotors and cassettes that get pricey per wheel.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Ill always run atleast 1.5 scoops of stans, I gash tires and smackem hard. Its just added insurance. Schwalbes UST big bettys and Muddy Marys!!!! :thumb:
While we're advertising, try some Michelin's and you'll soon realize that you don't need the Stans.

Stan's goop just makes a mess and makes swapping tires a hassle and expensive if you do it often. With an 823 and Michelin DH tires you can swap tires without even using a tire lever. This is much more important than most would think. Tire levers are hell on UST tires. As soon as you use a tire lever (even a soft plastic Park lever) on a UST tire it won't hold air as well as it did new.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
My 823s are built with ally nips and supercomp spokes onto pro2 (20mm front, 150x12mm rear) hubs.

Weights:

front: 672 + 53 + 10 + 159 + 172 = 1066g
rear: 669 + 53 + 10 + 159 + 295 = 1186g

In other words I9 prices are totally nuts - these come in significantly lighter overall. Been running them for a year or so with no problems (used DT competition spokes before that).

(the 53 is the rim nipple cup thingies)

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
My 823s are built with ally nips and supercomp spokes onto pro2 (20mm front, 150x12mm rear) hubs.

Weights:

In other words I9 prices are totally nuts - these come in significantly lighter overall. Been running them for a year or so with no problems (used DT competition spokes before that).

You might be paying a bit for the 100 or so extra engagement points over your Hope hubs.:lighten:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
70g (on the rear wheel) is a lot of weight to carry just for slightly quicker engagement. I'm all for quicker engagement, but not at that sort of weight penalty, where it counts most (unsprung and all that malarky).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Weights:

So about the only weight difference between your set and mine is mainly the spokes. My rear hub and front are spot on with yours or withing a few G's.
Got some burly spokes on it then, be traedd them off in the near future.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
To TOMBO who so decided to neg rep me with this
"Some times your such a tool, "is 220 a good price" "70g more then I9s" give me a brake. As a gear whore myself this post is sad.

1st I dont know about the WTB hubs, Ive hear they are light and sometimes finicky so Im not sure what a real value on them is! There are 6-7 sets of xt's laced to 823s on ebay for $199 for the set so yeah I was inquiring too make sure I didnt spend too much!

As far as weight because something is lighter by all accounts doesn't make it better or more durable so the comaparison was to offset the guilt that I possibly paid reg for them and it wasnt a deal.

So I dont think it was a bad thread as quite a bit of good info has come up and I dont feel like I compulsively bought that I did in fact get an OK deal!

Last edited:

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Well, the rim goes for about $90 each, $300 for the hub set. Add in couple of wheel builds and spokes.. You be hard pressed to pick em up under $500. Compared to some QR XTs... for $200 + shipping on flea bay. Really?
As for the weight. What were you expecting? You had to have known that the rims are heavy, the spokes are normal 14g, the hubs are light. So you get a normal weight...

More then anything I am just jealous, as I am currently shopping around for some budget used 823s. It drives me nuts to see some who buys tons of kit, whine about such little things. Then throw in the fact, that you swap forks. Or have 2 other high end wheel sets, with spare rotors and cassettes. That are powdered white, doesn't the paint add weight and unneeded cost?
Yes there are some good points and information in your post / thread. It is the way you come a crossed some times.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Im sure there was a better way to ask the ? no doubt! :thumb:
I was concerned Id paid too much, based on right after I bought these I saw the XT ones on ebay.

Im not whining about it at all, I just thought I got a great deal then thought it was average. I dont like average deals I like really good buys.. Thats all. If its run of the mill Ill pass, not worth my time.

Besides I get stuff at smokin good deals generally and turn around and pass it on to others here on ridemonkey like my I9 wheelset (I lost $300 on those) brand new condition maybe 10-20 miles tops I sold for $350....

I thought about buying one of the sets, snagging the rims and selling the hubs localy to offset the cost. $189 + $20 sh for the xt/823 wheelset snag rims and resell xt hubs for $100 locally= $109 hoops! :thumb:

Edited: My bad they are now $159 for the set on fleabay! Theres 7-8 sets

Last edited:

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Hope Pro IIs (20mm front, 12x135mm rear), 823s, 36 hole, 3x, 14/15 ga DT Competitons, brass nips, with valve stems:

Front - 1142g
Rear - 1254g

toby